Individual Assignment: Anticommunism and McCarthyism Paper
Themes of anticommunism preoccupied the American media from 1947 to 1954. Major topics included the coup in Czechoslovakia, the Korean War, the House Un-American Activities Committee, Alger Hiss, the Rosenbergs, and Joseph McCarthy.
• Resources: ProQuest Historical Newspapers
• Identify at least three different articles from the ProQuest Historical Newspapers (New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, and Christian Science Monitor) written between 1947 and 1954 to see how these events were covered by the media.
• Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper about anticommunism and McCarthyism during this period, including examples or quotes from each of the three articles you located (see rubric below).
• Format your paper according to APA standards.
Anti-communism and McCarthyism paper Grading Criteria
Content 5 Points
All key elements of the assignment are covered in a substantive way within the guidelines of 700-1050 words.
The paper incorporates at least three different appropriate articles from ProQuest Historical Newspapers written between 1947 and 1954, covering topics in anti-communism or McCarthyism.
The paper provides insight and supports that insight on the following topics:
• The differences between anti-communism and McCarthyism
• The perspective from which the media covered anti-communism and McCarthyism
• American foreign policy decisions impacted by anti-communism
• How Americans’ lives changed because of the Red Scare
Organization / Development 1 Point
The paper has a structure that is clear, logical, and easy to follow.
The paper is directed toward the appropriate audience.
Transitions between sentences/paragraphs/sections aid in maintaining the flow of thought.
The tone is appropriate to the content and assignment.