Based on the case study by Martin, The Blast in Centralia No. 5, in Stillman, PA, Chapter 1, write a 3-4 page paper in which you:
1. Identify and explain four (4) logistical alternatives Scanlan could have addressed.
* Scanlan reported those findings of a possible explosion to other professionals but all failed to follow safety procedures and allowed the men to continue with the job. Instead of listening to Robert Medill the director of the Illinois Department of Mines and Minerals, Scanlan should have directly reported his findings to the Governor of Illinois, the U.S. Bureau of Mines, and the State Mine Board to ensure safety measures and further investigations were established.
* Also, Scanlan had the power to shut down the mining operation but chose to be bullied by Robert Medill. The coal mine should have been closed down until every safety hazard was properly handled. (Garvey, G., 1997) Scanlan was granted the power to have the coal mine closed down. He should have used his authority to make sure the coal mine was safe and secure for its workers.
* Scanlan also could have encouraged the miners to construct a peaceful protest to improve their work conditions. (Garvey, G., 1997) If the workers would refuse to come to work because of the threat on their lives due to the harsh work conditions, authority would have no other choice but to fix the problems in order to get the miners to come back to work.
* Although scanlan order the miner to work four days and clean the rest of the days. He could have strictly enforced this rule. He should of made the miners clean the site continuously and not just for a certain time period.
2. Analyze and discuss Scanlan’s motivation toward the Constitution (the law), bureaucracy (as a public administrator responsible to the public), and obligation.
3. Take a position on two (2) possible paths of...