The Commercial World of Energy Storage: A Review of Operating Facilities (under construction or planned)
Septimus van der Linden Principal Brulin Associates
1st Annual Conference of the Energy Storage Council March 3, 2003 Houston, TX
Motivation for Electrical Energy Storage
Price of Electricity
- Make Use of Volatile Electricity Prices -
• Electricity! 3rd Largest Business in the USA $300 billion/per annum. • Demand for Electricity is seldom constant over time. • Excess generation during low demand periods - can be stored. • Stored Energy can provide Electricity during high demand. • Help reduce power system loads. • Improve Efficiency and Reliability. • Make better use of efficient Baseload generation. • Allow use of Renewable Energy technologies.
• • • • Batteries Compressed Air Energy Storage (CAES) Flywheels Pumped Hydro Storage
Two Main Categories: • Bulk Energy Storage
• Distributed Energy Storage – Batteries-Flywheels-Other (capacitors)
• OPERATING • UNDER CONSTRUCTION • PLANNED
• Bulk Energy Storage • PHS (Pumped Hydro) - First introduced circa 1904 in Swiss Alps.
– 100,000 MW Europe, Asia & Latin America. – 21,000 MW Japan. – 18,900 MW in USA. (Installed 1970-1990)
• CAES (Compressed Air Energy Storage)
– Two Highly Successful Plants in Operation