Information SystemChapter 2
E:Business: How Businesses Use Information Systems
1. Identify and describe the major features of a business that are important for understanding the role of information systems.
2. Describe the information systems supporting the major business functions: sales and marketing, manufacturing and production, finance and accounting, and human resources.
3. Evaluate the role played by systems serving the various levels of management in a business and their relationship to each other.
4. Explain how enterprise applications collaboration and communication systems, and intranets improve organizational performance.
5. Assess the role of the information systems function in a business.
1 Components of a Business
Organizing a Business: Basic Business Functions
Managing a Business and Firm Hierarchies
The Business Environment
The Role of Information Systems in a Business
2.2 Types of Business Information Systems
Systems from a Functional Perspective
Systems from a Constituency Perspective
Relationship of Systems to One Another
2.3 Systems That Span the Enterprise
Intranets and Extranets
E-Business, E-Commerce and E-Government
4. The Information Systems Function in Business
The Information Systems Department
Organizing the Information Systems Function
2.5 Hands-on MIS
The following alphabetical list identifies the key terms discussed in this chapter. The page number for each key term is provided.
|Business, 41 |Information systems department, 67 |
|Business processes, 43 |Information systems managers, 68 |
|Chief information officer (CIO), 68 |Interorganizational system, 61...