MotivationLus10552_ch09_321-355 7/3/06 21:21 Page 321
After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
1. Explain the motivation process and the three factors affecting performance.
2. Describe four content motivation theories.
3. Describe two process motivation theories.
4. State how reinforcement is used to increase performance.
5. List the four steps in the model for giving praise.
6. Identify the four parts of the model for writing objectives.
7. Explain the three steps of managing by objectives.
8. State ways to enrich, design, and simplify jobs.
9. Explain possible limitations of using motivation theories outside North America.
10. Deﬁne the following 16 key terms (in order of appearance in the chapter):
content motivation theories
manifest needs theory
process motivation theories
The Importance of Motivation
What Is Motivation and Why Is It
How Motivation Affects Behavior, Human
Relations, and Performance
Copyright © 2008 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All rights reserved.
management by objectives (MBO)
Content Motivation Theories
Schedules of Reinforcement
Organizational Reinforcement for Getting
Employees to Come to Work and to Be on
Objectives and MBO
Manifest Needs Theory
Putting the Motivation Theories
How Organizations Meet Employee Needs
Process Motivation Theories
Do Motivation Theories Apply Globally?
Cross-cultural Differences in Motivation
Deming’s View of North American