The Body and Soul
* Materialism is the view that the mind cannot be separated from the body
* Idealism is the view that the mind is the only reality and the body is unreal.
* Dualism is the view that the mind and body both exist and are linked in some way.
Review Plato’s distinction between body and soul in the foundation unit so that you can make comparisons with the thinking of Hick and of Dawkins.
Philosophy of Religion (1973); Death and Eternal Life (1976)
* The soul is a name for the moral, spiritual self formed by the interaction of genes and environment. The human is a psychophysical person with a divine purpose.
* The person shall be resurrected through a divine act of recreation or reconstitution in resurrection, rather than reincarnation as Plato would have it, through God’s creative love.
* The new body is not the old one brought back to life but a spiritual body inhabiting a spiritual world just as the physical body inhabited a physical world.
* Hick conducts a thought experiment with a hypothetical person called John Smith. Smith disappears from the USA and reappears in Calcutta, India. He is physically...