Week 3 Power Point
Week 3 Power PointAssociate Program Material
Cell Energy Worksheet
Answer the following questions:
• What is cellular respiration and what are its three stages?
It is the harvesting of energy that is stored in food, making a pathway for production of adenosine triphoshe (ATP). The three stages are glycosis, cirtric acid cycle, electron transport.
• What is the role of glycolysis? Include the reactants and the products. Where does it occur?
the role is to split sugars. Reactants are; food “sugars”. Products are; NADH produced, and is the first stage of cellular respiration
• What is the role of the citric acid cycle? Include the reactants and the products. Where does it occur?
this begins after two molecules of three carbon sugar produced in glycosis is converted to a slightly different compound, its reactants are glycolysis with products of acetyl, CoA, NAD, and FAD and happens in the second step of cellular respiration.
• What is the role of the electron transport system? Include the reactants and the products. Where does it occur?
This is the final stage of cellular respiration to carry membrame of mitochondria in eukaryotic cells. Having reactants to 02 and ATP produced.
• What is the overall goal of photosynthesis?
provide a substrate for respiration to obtain ATP, providing carbohydrates to plants for growth and maintance.
• Because photosynthesis only occurs in plants, why is it essential to animal life?
because it takes carbon monoxide that animals breath out, in and converts it back to oxygen so they can survive.
• What is the role of the light reactions? Include the reactants and the products. Where does it occur?
to prodneuce energy rich ATP and NADPH produced glucose, occurring in the chloroplast of the stroma. It reacts to co2, h2o, ADP, NADP+, products of it are oxygen, ATP, and NADPH.