Submitted By g8ygiygi7
Miracle In The Andes
The Miracle In The Andes is a novel by Nando Parrado, and it is a real story happened in the 13th of the October in 1972. The novel talking about the Fairchild, an Uruguayan plane crashed in the Andes. The passengers on the plane were 45, and many of them were from the Old Christian rugby team include some of their family members. In the crash 40 members had survived from 45, and by the time they spend it on the Andes the number had reduced to 16. The novel also talking about the horrors they faced on the mountain like the cold, the lack of food and water, nevertheless; they experienced the death of their friends and family members. They learned many treks to keep them alive on the Andes, they learned how to stay warm, they melted the snow to drink and they ate the dead bodies flesh to survive from starvation. They tried desperately to climb the mountain, but their attempt failed. Nando Parrado did not want to die on the Andes like one of his friends, so he decided to climb. Even though he was afraid to face the Andes, but he made his destination to the west. Ten days after all the horrors, he and with two of his teammate found their way into the mountains. After they arrived home, Nando back to his normal life again, and he attained the promise that he made to himself that he will meet his father again, and he will enumerate how his Mom and Susy died on the Andes.
1. Claustrophobic: Uncomfortably closed or hemmed in. The reason: I wanted to know how was Nandos feeling
2. Plight: a dangerous, difficult, or otherwise unfortunate situation. The reason: I wanted to know what Nando did not want to ignore.
3. Agony: extreme physical or mental suffering. The reason: I wanted to know how they suffered from the cold.
4. Virtuous: having or showing high moral standards. The reason: I wanted to know how Marcelo lived his life.
5. Decisiveness: the trait of resoluteness as evidenced by firmness of character or purpose. The reason: I wanted to know how Marcelo was dealing with the situation.
6. Abrasiveness: harshness: the roughness of a substance that causes abrasions. The reason: I wanted to know how Roberto was behaving and how he was thinking.
8.Confrontational: tending to deal with situations in an aggressive way; hostile or argumentative. The reason: I wanted to know how was Roberto’s manner.
P.130 9. Intimacy: close familiarity or friendship; closeness. The reason: I want to know what did Javier and Liliana share.
10.The capriciousness: the quality of being guided by sudden unpredictable impulses. The reason: What tortured Nando the most?
11. Dehydration: means the body does not have as much water and fluids as it should. The reason: Why Nando did not argue his friend about the plan.
12.Expeditionary: relating to an expedition; sent to fight in a foreign country. The reason: What Nando actually was on the mountain?
13. Extinguished: cause (a fire or light) to cease to burn or shine. The reason: What Roberto has done to the light?
14. Futility: pointlessness or uselessness. The reason: How Nando saw their effort?
15. Infuriated: make (someone) extremely angry and impatient. The reason: How Nando felt about Roy?
16.Exertion: physical or mental effort. The reason: what did Roy suffer from?
17. Ebbing/Ebb: move away from the land; recede. The reason: I wanted to know how Nando felt when he was reading himself to climb the mountain.
18.Camaraderie: is a spirit of good friendship and loyalty among members of a group. The reason: how the teams’ relationship was?
19.Tenacity: the quality or fact of being able to grip something firmly; grip. The reason: how do Catholic live their life?
20. Agility: the gracefulness of a person or animal that is quick and nimble. The reason: what rugby requires?