Learning Objectives and Outcomes
• Describe the role of software for computers-
Software refers to one or more computer programs and data held in the storage of the computer for some reasons. In other words, software is a set of programs, procedures, algorithms and its documentation concerned with the operation of a data processing system.
• Identify the hardware associated with a computer-
1. The central processing unit (CPU)
2. Main memory
3. Secondary storage devices
4. Input devices
5. Output devices
• Describe how computers store data-
All data that is stored in a computer is converted to a sequences of 0s and 1s
• Explain how programs work-
A program is nothing more than a list of instructions that cause the CPU to perform operations. Each instruction in a program is a command that tells the CPU to perform a specific operation.
• Differentiate between machine language, assembly language, and high level language-
-Machine language uses binary instructions (0s and 1s)
-Assembly language uses short words that are known as mnemonics
-High level language allows you to create powerful and complex programs without knowing how the CPU works, and without writing large numbers of low-level instructions.
• Differentiate between compilers and interpreters-
A compiled program is already translated entirely to machine language when it is executed. A program that is interpreted must be translated at the time it is executed
• Identify the different types of software-
Systems software is the set of programs that control or enhance the operation of a computer. Application software makes a computer useful for everyday tasks.
Short-Answer Review Questions 1-7 pg.26
1. Why is the CPU the most important component in a computer?
The CPU is the part of a computer that actually runs programs. Without it, the computer could…...