UNIVERSITI TUNKU ABDUL RAHMAN
CENTRE FOR FOUNDATION STUDIES
FOUNDATION IN SCIENCE
NERVOUS SYSTEM I
At university level, the tutor facilitates student learning without spoon-feeding. Therefore, you are expected to:
* Read your textbook, attempt the questions before the tutorial
* You may enter the class and sign your attendance after showing your tutor that all tutorial questions have been completed; even if you don’t know how to do, write something - you’re not advised to leave answers blank in the finals.
* Write answers on board if you wish to receive tutor feedback
(no answer, no feedback)
* Be independent: consult textbooks or dictionaries on your own first before asking the tutor
* All questions are compulsory. 1 mark may reflect 1 answer point.
(No half mark is awarded in the finals marks)
1. Figure 1 shows the structure of the human nervous system.
Figure 1 |
Based on Figure 1, answer the following questions.
(a) Identify the structure X and Y. (2 marks)
(b) State the anatomical division of the structure X and Y. (1 mark)
(c) Describe the organization of human nervous system. (3 marks)
2. Describe the basic pathway of information flow through your nervous system that causes you to turn your head when your mother calls your name. (4 marks)
3. Figure 2 shows how the resting potential is generated in a nerve cell. Based on this figure, answer the following questions. (Biology 6th ed, 2009, Campbell et al)
(a) What is a resting potential? Describe the chemical…...