After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
1. Explain the motivation process and the three factors affecting performance.
2. Describe four content motivation theories.
3. Describe two process motivation theories.
4. State how reinforcement is used to increase performance.
5. List the four steps in the model for giving praise.
6. Identify the four parts of the model for writing objectives.
7. Explain the three steps of managing by objectives.
8. State ways to enrich, design, and simplify jobs.
9. Explain possible limitations of using motivation theories outside North America.
10. Deﬁne the following 16 key terms (in order of appearance in the chapter):
content motivation theories
manifest needs theory
process motivation theories