Submitted By huiting1021
Information on Every Subject
Unit Name: Physics I
Credit Value: 4
Trimester/Year Offered: 1/1
Pre-requisite (if any): No
Mode of Delivery: Lecture, Tutorial, Practical
Assessment System and Breakdown of Marks:
- Theoretical Assessment (Tests/Quizzes/Case Studies) (30%)
- Practical Assessment (Lab reports/Lab tests) (20%)
Academic Staff Teaching Unit:
Objective of Unit:
The aims of this course are to enable students to:
• appreciate the important role of physics in biology.
• elucidate the basic principles in introductory physics enveloping mechanics, motion, properties of matter and heat.
• resolve and interpret quantitative and qualitative problems in an analytical manner.
• acquire an overall perspective of the inter-relationship between the various topics covered and their applications to the real world.
• acquire laboratory skills including the proper handling and use of laboratory apparatus and materials.
Learning Outcome of Unit:
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
1. Identify and practice the use of units and dimensional analysis, uncertainty significant figures and vectors analysis.
2. Apply and solve problems related to translational and rotational kinematics and dynamics in one and two dimensions.
3. Apply and solve problems related to the conservation of energy.
4. Identify and compare the state and properties of matter, and fluid mechanics with various related principles, and kinetic theory of gases.
5. Identify the difference in temperature scales and solve problems related to the concept of heat and heat transfer.
6. Carry out some procedures and techniques for practical investigations and interpret the results by the...