English and Literature
Submitted By ashisroy
1. Who used the term 'Old English' for the first time ?
2. What is the name of Bede's history book ?
3. What is the meaning of the Anglo-Saxon word 'scop" ?
4. What is the meaning of Anglo-Saxon word 'Wyrd' ?
5. What is the name of the only Anglo-Saxon historian ?
6. Name the Germanic tribes which formed the Anglo-Saxon race ?
7. Name the manuscripts in which Old English poems are found ?
8. Who is the author of Sermo Lupi ad Anglos ?
9. Who is the author of Lives of the Saints ?
10. Name two Anglo Saxon Christian poets ?
11. Name the 'earliest extant' Anglo-Saxon poem ?
12. When was Beowulf written ?
13. Mention one Christian element in Beowulf ?
14. Refer to one Pagan element in Beowulf ?
15. What is the name of the pleasure hall in Beowulf ?
16. What is the name of Hrothgar's wife ?(the queen)
17. Name the sword of Beowulf with which he killed Grendel ?
18. Which Anglo-Saxon poem records the fight between the English and Danes ?
19. When did the Battle of Maldon take place ?
20. Who is the author of Death Song ?
21. Who is the author of the poem Brut ? how many lines are there in this poem ?
22. Name two battles referred to in the Anglo-Saxon poems ?
23. What is the name of the monster Beowulf killed ?
24. What is the name of Beowulf's father ?
25. What is the name of the king Beowulf helped ?
26. Name two Anglo-Saxon Elegies ?
27. Name the Anglo-Saxon poem written in dream vision ?
28. Who is the author of Beowulf ?
29. When was Thomas Becket murdered ?
30. Name a middle English poem written in the form of debate between two birds ?
31. Name two historian of the Middle English period ?
32. Who is the writer of Historia Regum Britanniac ?
33. Name the earliest poem of the medieval romance tradition ?
34. Name four middle English alliterative poems ?
35. Give the name of the manuscripts in which the medieval poem Pearl is found ?
36. Which of the four middle English alliterative poems does not deal with Old Testament stories ?
37. What is the name of King Arthur's Capital city ?
38. Name two characters from Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales, who did not tell a tale ?
39. Whom does Spenser invoke at the outset of his epic The Fairy Queen Book-1 ?
40. Name one female Knight from Spenser's The Fairy Queen ?
41. Name two virtuous female Characters from Spenser's The Fairy Queen ?
42. Name two popular ballads of the Middle English period ?
43. Who is the writer of Piers, the Plowman ?
44. What is the full title of Piers, the Plowman ?
45.When did the plague break out in England ?
46. Name the monk who first came to England to preach Christianity ?
47. Name a work of John Gower written in English ?
48. Name the four Ps in Heywood's The Four P's ?
49. Give an example of an Interlude play ?
50. What are the four cycles of the mystery play ?
51. How many play are there in York Cycle ?
52. How many play are there in Chester Cycle ?
53. How many play are there in Wakefield Cycle ?
54. How many play are there in Coventy Cycle ?
55. Give an example of medieval Morality play ?
56. Who is the author of Morte de Arthur ?
57. What does Tottel's Miscellany (1557) contain ?
58. Who is the author of Utopia ?
59. What type of work is Thomas More's utopia ?
60. Name the shrine the pilgrims in Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales were going on ?
61. Name the inn the pilgrims in Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales took rest ?
62. How many pilgrims are there in Chaucer's The Canterbury tales ?
63. What is the name of the host who leads all the pilgrims in Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales ?
64. Name a tale which is written in prose ?
65. How many stories does Chaucer himself tell ?
66. What is the plan of the pilgrims ?
67. Which medieval poem in described as 'the Gospel of the poor' ?
68. Name a medieval travel book ?
69. Name a medieval writer who translated the Bible ?
70. Which work of Chaucer is based on Boccaccio's IL Filastrato ?
71. Name a work of Langland which mention the death toll of the plague in 1348-49 ?
72. Who is the author of The Legend of Good Women ?
73. Mention the type or groups into which medieval romances are divided ?
74. To whom does Chaucer dedicate Troilus and Criseyde ?
75. Name four Anglo-Saxon pagan poems ?
76. Name four Anglo-Saxon Christian poems ?
77. Name two Anglo-Saxon prose writers ?
78. Who is the author of Catholic Homilies ?
79. Who is the author of Anglo-Saxon Chronicle ?
80. Name the two manuscripts of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle ?
81. Who is called the Anglo-Saxon Milton ?
82. Who is the last Anglo-Saxon King ?
83. Who is the author of Romance of the Rose ?
84. Which medieval poet is described by Long as our first Modern poet ?
85. Name two ancient heroes (Knights) ?
86. Name the stanza form of Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales ?
87. Name the first book printed by William Caxton ?
88. What is Miracle play ?
89. What is a Mystery play ?
91. What is an Interlude ?
92. Name two Scottish Chaucerians ?
93. Name two English Chaucerians ?
94.Name the first book printed by Caxton on the soil of England ?
95. Name a French poem written by John Gower ?
96.Name a Latin poem by John Gower ?
1. Who is the author of A Defence of Rhyme(1602) ? how did it affect Elizabethan poetry ?
2. Name the narrative poem of Christopher Marlowe ?
3.Name two post-Shakespearean dramatists whose names are uttered together ?
4. What is a Masque ? give an instance from Ben Jonson ?
5.Name the masque by Milton ? when was it published ?
6.Who, among the Elizabethan dramatists knew "small Latin and less Greek" ?
7. Who is "the onlie begetter" of Shakespeare Sonnets ?
8. Who is the "Dark Lady" of the Sonnets of Shakespeare ?
9. Who called Shakespeare Sonnets 'sugared sonnets' and in which writing ?
10. Name two plays of Shakespeare that deal with English history ?
11. Name two early comedies of Shakespeare ?
12. Which play of Ben Jonson is entirely in blank verse ?
13. Which play of Ben Jonson are written entirely in prose ?
14. In which play does Jonson ridicule the play of John Marston ?
15. Name two plays written by Thomas Dekker ?
16.Name a play by Thomas Dekker collaborated with John Ford ?
17. Name a play by Thomas Dekker collaborated with Massinger ?
18. Name the masterpiece of Thomas Middleton ?
19.Name the play of Thomas Middleton collaborated with Thomas Dekker ?
20.Name the manuscripts of Thomas heywood ?
21. Who is the author of the plays- The English Traveller and The Captives ?
22. How many plays did Beaumont and Fletcher write ?
23. Name a play which is written by Fletcher alone ?
24. Name two comedies by Beaumont and Fletcher ?
25. Name two tragedies by Beaumont and Fletcher ?
26. Mention the first play of George Chapman ?
27. Name two tragedies written by George Chapman ?
28. Name two comedies by George Chapman ?
29. Name two dramas by John marston ?
30. Who, among the post-Shakespearean dramatists , translated Homer ?
31. With whom did John Webster collaborate ?
32. Name two plays by Cyril Tourneur ?
33. Name two Jacobean dramatists who followed Senecan model ?
34. Name the unfinished work of Bacon ?
35. When was Bacon's Essays first published ?
36. Name the philosophical work of Bacon ?
MODERN PERIOD AND AFETRWORDS
1 . When did the Hundred Years' War with France begin ?
2. When was Magna Carta brought on the statue ?
3. In which year was printing started for the first time in England ?
4. Who wrote Gammar Garton's Needle ?
5. Under which pen-name did Dicken's begin his writing career ?
6. Who is the author of David Copperfield, Bleak House, Oliver Trist, Our Mutual Friend, Great Expectations ?
7. Name the novel left incomplete by Dickens ?
8. Who is the author of Shakespearean Tragedy and when it was published ?
9. Who is the author of Tales from Shakespeare ?
10. Who is called the father of English criticism ?
11. Who is the author of An Essay of Dramatic Poesie ?
12. Who is the author of Leviathan ? What type of work is it ?
13. Name a prose work by Milton ?
14. Who is the writer of The Compleat Angler (1653) ?
15. Who first used the term 'metaphysics' in the context of Donne's poetry ?
16. To which European country did Renaissance come first ?
17. Who is the author of The Praise of Folly ?
18. What does Tottel's Miscellany contain ?
19. Who introduced the sonnet form in England ?
20. Who introduced the blank verse in English literature ?
21. What is the subtitle of Gorboduc ?
22. The reign of which British King/Queen is known as the caroline age ?
23. Who wrote L' Allegro and IL Penseroso ?
24. What type of work is Milton's Comus ?
25.Whom does Milton commemorate in his Lycidas ?
26. Who said of Paradise Lost that "Milton was on the Devil's party without knowing it " ?
27. Who wrote The Old Wive's Tale ?
28. Who is the author of The Spanish Tragedy ? What type of work is it ?
29. Who is the author of The Jew of Malta, Tamburlaine, Doctor Faustus ?
30. Name a Revenge Tragedies of Shakespeare ?
31. name two Revenge Tragedies of John Webster ?
32. Who is the author of The Comedy of Errors ?
33. Who published Shakespeare's sonnets in 1609 ?
34. How many of Shakespeare Sonnets are addressed to the Fair Friend ?
35. How many of Shakespeare sonnets are addressed to the Dark Lady ?
36. Whom does Shakespeare addresses in his final two sonnets ?
37. Who called Spenser " the poet's poet " ?
38. Who is the known as the English Virgil ?
39. How many books are there in Spenser's The Faerie Queene ?
40. Which is the first Pastoral Romance in English ?
41. Who complained that Spenser wrote no language ?
42. Who is the author of The Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity ?
43. Who is the author of Shepherd's Calendar ?