Free Essay


In: Other Topics

Submitted By Kimbolia27
Words 46387
Pages 186

People’s Guide to





The People’s Guide is a practical self-advocacy information guide and directory on how to get food, income, jobs and training, housing, health and dental care, legal advice, and other important help from local, state and federal programs and community services in Sacramento County.
We don’t need to tell you these are hard times! Foreclosures, high unemployment, homelessness on the rise and the city, county, state and federal budgets either eliminating or making deep cuts to most of the programs talked about in this guide.
These cuts mean less help for lowincome individuals, families, seniors and homeless people to access the these life-saving programs. It means reduced benefits, fewer workers, tighter eligibility rules, long lines and longer waits.

not only is a self-advocacy guide to these programs, but also gives you advice on what you can do if your are treated unfairly or do not receive what you are entitled to by law. The guide is dedicated to helping all people overcome barriers when they are trying to get help.

Politicians often use the money for other things than education, health, welfare and social services. But, when the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, the gap has very bad effects on our entire society. You can help close that gap.

You do not need to read the entire book; just find the topic in the table of contents.
But, remember, that if you are eligible for one kind of help, you often qualify for other programs.

3. To get names and address of your local, state and federal elected officials call (916) 875-6451

You can also help!
1. Share this information with other people who need help;

2. Share your voice: Elected officials in Sacramento City, County, State Capitol and Washington, DC are always debating the programs and services described in this guide. Especially during hard times, there is conflict about the money for these services. Too often the programs
It also means rumors and false indescribed in this guide are eliminated formation that discourage eligible or cut severely. people from applying for a desperately needed program and people not know- Your voice is needed in these debates!
You are an expert on what happens ing where or how to apply. to people’s lives when they can’t get
The Sacramento Housing Alliance food, money, housing or health care.
[SHA] and the Sacramento Hunger
Government officials need to hear your
Coalition [SHC] believes that every authentic voice and remind them of how person has the right to healthy food, these programs help or don’t help what safe, decent and affordable housing your problems or solutions are. and healthcare. Help in Hard Times
The People’s Guide is based on the long-running publication The
People’s Guide to Welfare, Health &
Other Services
©2011 The Los Angeles Coalition to
End Hunger & Homelessness.
Editor: Jessica Merrill
Editorial Committee and Major Contributors: Kevin Aslanian, Colin Bailey,
Jessica Bartholow, Kendra Bridges, Dawn
Dunlap, Bob Erlenbusch, Patty Gainer,
Stephen Goldberg, Sandra Hamameh,
Anson Houghton,Marty Keale, John
Kraintz, Alan Lange, Patti Lomazzi, Danny
Marquez, Edith Martinez,Tracie Rice
Bailey, Mary Steinert, Frank Tamborello,
Eileen Thomas,


Ashley Tolle, Jaci White, Amy Williams, Ivette
Vivanco, Joan Burke.
Contributors and Funders:
Sacramento Bank of Commerce, Kaiser
Permanente,Teichert Foundation and
DISCLAIMER: The Sacramento Hunger
Coalition and other contributors to this book are not responsible for the action, conduct, treatment you receive, and/ or quality of service of any private (nongovernment)agencies listed in this book and their staff. Government agencies have their own complaint procedures (see pg. 62.) Also, phone numbers and other important information change: this information was accurate as of March 2014.

The People’s Guide

(California Relay Service English
or go to 4. Register to vote: Sacramento
County Registrars of Voters: SHA and SHC are dedicated to helping people in hard times by advocating with and for homeless and low-income people to obtain justice.
Sacramento Housing Alliance
(916) 455-4900
Sacramento Hunger Coalition

(916) 455-4900

2-1-1 Sacramento
2-1-1 is a 24 hour per day, 7 day a week telephone information and referral service. Operators are available in many languages. They can help you find emergency food and shelter, legal and financial assistance, counseling and many other resources.
Dial 2-1-1
TTY line (800) 660-4026

Housing and

Health Care: 22

Persons Experiencing
Homelessness 4

How to stay safe while homeless and where to find basic shelter

Low Cost Housing 8

Low cost housing

Renters and Homeowners Rights 9
Help with foreclosure: Handling problems in your rented apartment or house: Your rights against eviction Utilities and Phone. 10

Help with utility bills and special phone equipment for the disabled

CalFresh (Food
Stamps) 11
Assistance to buy more food

Free & Low Cost Food
..................... pg 14
Food pantries, meals for seniors, farmers markets, community gardens 20

Nutrition assistance for mothers, infants and children

Child Nutrition........ 21
Free meals for children

Cash and other aid for families with children under 19

Child Care & Education 51

Medical assistance for families, seniors, the disabled

Assistance for working parents

Children’s Healthcare 28

Foster 53
Social Security Programs 55

Free & Low Cost Health
Care (includes dental, hearing and eye care) 29

For people who are disabled, blind, or over 65

Veteran’s Services 59

Health care if you don’t qualify for

Free & Low Mental Health and Developmental Services 32

General Assistance. 60

In Home Care and Long
Term 32

Transportation 62

Cash aid for single adults

Bus passes:affordable car insurance

Drug and Alcohol 34 64 35

Income, Jobs, &

More Advice:

Job & Career Training
............................ pg 36
Worker's Rights and 39
Unemployment, worker’s rights, and aid if you're temporarily disabled

Tax 42
Extra money for workers and renters

Guide for Non-Citizens 65

Hearings and Complaints 67
How to get the benefits you are entitled to Department of Human
Assistance Offices... pg 68
Good 70
Legal Aid and crisis resources 43
The People’s Guide


Persons Experiencing Homelessness
Many people experience homelessness in a variety of ways– sometimes in a tent, other times in the home of a friend or family member. In Sacramento, as in most cities, there are not enough emergency shelter beds for every person that is homeless on any given night. In the past, most bouts of homelessness did not extend past a week up to a several months, but this situation may be changing due to Sacramento
County’s budget problems. If you find yourself homeless without previous preparation, this section will help you until you are able to access shelter or housing.
Remember that many that find themselves homeless might not be so different from yourself, so there is a great resource by peer support and advice. A great starting point would be a service provider like Loaves & Fishes. You can contact them at (916) 446-0874.

If You’re Staying Outside
Keep from freezing – cardboard is a great insulator from the cold ground and provides some cushion when sleeping on cement. If you don’t have a tent, a tarp is a must for camping gear, and a warm sleeping bag.
Sometimes sleeping bags are available at Loaves & Fishes’
Friendship Park at 1 PM by the service center. You may also be able to obtain coats and rain gear. Friendship Park also provides activities, information, restroom facilities and a safe environment while you access services. The center is located at 1321 North C Street.
Staying dry – If you have a tent, make sure it has a rain fly or secure one tarp over the tent and one under the tent. If you do not have a tent, a tarp is very important when living outdoors. Finding a place to sleep under cover is sometimes hard to find, but many sleep communally under freeways during rain storms. Sleeping in doorways of businesses that have gone out of business is a good place to sleep out of the rain.
You can use trash bags for raincoats by cutting out holes for your head and arms. Check for sprinkler systems.
Safe Ground Sacramento is a good resource if you must sleep outdoors and would like to camp amongst others in a drug, alcohol and violence free environment. Safe Ground
Sacramento are organizing to acquire land and simple cottages, but meanwhile members just camp together and support each other, sometimes being hosted by a church to sleep indoors on some cold nights. Often they can provide camping equipment and other supplies when you stay with them. Office is located in Loaves & Fishes Friendship Park at 1321 North
C Street. (916) 448-2448.
Keeping cool – keep wet towel or something wet around neck or over head. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated. Avoid alcohol drinks because they dehydrate.


Wildlife – Skunks, raccoons, possums, and rats are some of the wildlife you may come upon. Even the skunks don’t usually present too much of a danger, but they can be pests.
Just don’t keep food lying around and tie your food in bags from strings or rope from tree branches.
Snakes – rattle snakes are rare but can be dangerous
.There are more rattle snake sightings upriver from Business 80 along the American River Parkway.
Stinging nettles are native to Sacramento area and if you touch them with your skin it will burn immensely for awhile.
Poison oak – Don’t burn by mistake because the smoke can cause serious reactions.
Mosquitoes – Minimize exposure of your skin during late afternoon and evening hours by wearing long sleeves.

Keeping Safe When You’re
Fires – It’s best not to have campfires, especially along the parkway. An alternative is to purchase a propane heater and/ or camp stove for keeping warm and for cooking. If you sleep in a tent, a simple candle in an open jar will provide heat for the small space inside a tent and the jar will help prevent lit candles from falling over and causing fires. If you have no alternative and must have a fire to keep warm, dig a small pit and make sure there are no tree roots exposed to the pit.
If you need a fire to cook, use a small fire using only several twigs at a time, instead of a log. There is too much danger of fires in the summer.
Protection from predators – Use your valuables as a pillow, by sleeping with your backpack or purse under your head, or wrap a strap around your arms. If you sleep in a hidden location, make sure that no stranger sees you enter or leave your camp.
Avoid violent situations.
Healthy feet “Happy Feet” – Sweater sleeves can be cut off to make socks. After you cut the sleeve off, use the cut part for your feet, folding the edges so they fit around your feet flat and comfortably. You can also keep a plastic bag over your foot. Try to keep dry between toes. Use a petroleum base jelly on your feet to deal with soreness and dryness.
Restroom facilities – Finding facilities open to the public are often hard to find. More and more restaurants are not allowing people to use their restrooms without making a purchase. Public and government buildings such as libraries, post offices, county administration, city hall and others are good places to go. In some buildings you will have to ask security for access. Homeless and other services agencies usually have restrooms. Restrooms at public parks are somewhat scarce and are usually closed from early evening to morning. If no restrooms are available, urinate on dirt or vegetation, never on impermeable surfaces.

The People’s Guide

Camp etiquette and types of locations to sleep – Sometimes you will see a bedroll and other belongings that appear to be abandoned. Don’t assume they are abandoned. The owner will probably come back for them that same night or even next week. Leave other people’s possessions alone.
That way you perpetuate the custom so that you may feel better about leaving your possessions somewhere when you have an appointment or other reason. Don’t assume your possessions will be there when you return, though, since not everyone follows that custom and sometimes the police or rangers take things (they are required to give a notice before they take your things and leave a notice where you can pick your things up, but they don’t always follow this procedure).
Dumpster Diving – It can be dangerous and it is illegal to go through residential garbage cans. Some businesses put useful items outside their dumpters. You can find many useful items in dumpsters and with a good stick with a hook on the end, you can safely scavenge without having to enter the dumpster. Behind laundramats may be good for blankets and clothing. If someone else is searching a dumpster, let them finish before you start. Be careful with food by checking expiration dates, freshness and ability to decontaminate (such as vegetables and fruits without cuts).

Your Rights As A Homeless Camper
Both City and County Ordinances make it a misdemeanor offense to camp on public property, including the American
River Parkway. Persons found camping in Sacramento can be given a citation, which requires appearance in court and/ or payment of a fine. You have a right to a jury trial if the citation is a misdemeanor and a right to only a court trial if you are cited for an infraction. If you are cited for a misdemeanor, you are entitled to be represented by a public defender. It is unlikely, if you plead “not guilty” and request appointment of a public defender, that they will take your case to trial.
Before your camping and personal property may be removed, you are entitled to receive a “48 hour notice” which will tell you to remove your property or it will be confiscated and stored. If it is not removed within 48 hours, it can be seized and stored, but a second notice must be given telling you where the property has been taken and how it can be reclaimed. If your property is taken and stored without the required notice in County jurisdiction, you have a claim for violation of a settlement agreement. If your property is taken and destroyed, you have the right to file a federal or state complaint for damages for seizure of property without due process.
Sacramento City Code 12.52.030 Unlawful camping
– this ordinance, also, makes it against the law to camp on private property for longer than 24 hours, and to “store” camping equipment on public property (which could mean setting your camping gear on the ground).
Sacramento County Parks ordinance,
Prohibition of Carts in Park Facilities states that “Within the boundaries of the American River Parkway no person shall use a shopping cart, basket that is mounted on

wheels or a similar device that is primarily used for the purpose of transporting goods of any kind.”

What If I’m Homeless And I’m In
The Hospital?
It is illegal for the hospital to drop you off in the street after your treatment if you are homeless. The hospital discharge staff must work with you to find a safe place to go. Ask to speak to a social worker prior to your discharge.

Financial Help
Families: If you are homeless and receive or qualify for CalWORKs, you may be able to get Homeless Assistance Money, to help you move (see page 50 CalWORKs).
Singles: You can apply for General Assistance (GA). GA provides short-term financial assistance and limited services that will enable a recipient either to find employment or to obtain support from another source (see page 60).

Emergency Shelters
Unfortunately if you are homeless in Sacramento, there is no guarantee of housing or shelter, and the existing shelters are often filled up. We list the resources below as a guide to trying to get help. Rapid rehousing should be your goal. When you go to a shelter, ask if there is anyone who can help you find permanent housing through a transitional housing program
(see the next page). Though transitional housing programs have long wait lists, they can help you find a permanent place to live.
An emergency shelter is a facility whose purpose is to provide temporary or transitional shelter for the homeless in general or for specific populations of the homeless.

Emergency Shelters: Families
Children’s Receiving Home of Sacramento
(916) 482-2370 24-hours
My Sister’s House
Francis House Serving families with children.
(916) 443-2646
Maryhouse A daytime shelter for homeless women and children. (916) 446-4961 St. John’s Shelter for Women and Children
(916) 453-1482 Up to 90 day stay for women and children only. Must contact shelter daily to stay on waiting list.
Family Promise is a network of local congregations that provides overnight shelter for homeless families.
(916) 443-3107
Next Move (family shelter)

The People’s Guide


(916) 455-2160

(916) 669-7000

Volunteers of America Family Shelter (children under 18 must live with you)
(916) 443-4688 Families (including single men with children) must be on
CalWORKs to be considered for up to a 120-day stay.
Families must also visit Maryhouse at Loaves & Fishes on
Thursday between 8-11:30 a.m. for an interview before accessing shelter.

Emergency Shelters: Crisis Shelters
WEAVE (Women Escaping A Violent Environment)
(916) 920-2952
(866) 920-2952 24-hour crisis line

Union Gospel Mission (men only)
(916) 447-3268
Loaves & Fishes Wash House – (men only) Showers, shaving and toiletry items and a laundered change of clothes available every week day
(916) 443-7378

Emergency Shelters
& Transitional Housing: Youth &
Young Adults

Children’s Receiving Home of Sacramento
(916) 482-2370 24-hours 3555 Auburn Blvd., Sacramento, CA. 95821
May provide emergency temporary shelter and care to children in crises between the ages of 1 and 17.

Wind Youth Services
My Sister’s House
(800) 339-7177 – 24-hour hotline; TTY
(916)428-3271 1534 Howe Ave., Suite 92
Sacramento Crisis Nurseries
Sacramento, CA 95825
Provide an alternative place for parents in a time and need
(800) 339-7177 – Shelter to leave their children in a homelike environment while they
(916) 369-5447 – Office resolve their problems.
Information Line (877) 543-7752 24-hours
Sacramento emergency services for youth in the 12 to 17
Parents’ Support Line (888) 281-3000 24-hours age group.
Safely surrender babies, 24 hours: (866) 856-2229
Shelter: Call the 24-hour hotline: (800) 339-7177.
North location: 4533 Pasadena Ave.
Day Center: 701 Dixieanne Avenue, Sacramento CA. 95815.
Sacramento, CA. 95821 (916) 679-3600
(916) 561-4900. M – F: 8:30 – 4p.m., Sat. 8:30 a.m. - 1
South location: 6699 South Land Park Drive
p.m., Sunday: closed. Day center provides food, a shower,
Sacramento, CA. 95831 (916) 394-2000 lessons and case management. Clinic provides tions and vaccinations Tuesdays and Thursdays.
24 hour Emergency Shelter for children up to age 6. PreDiogenes Counseling Center: 9719 Lincoln Village Drive school and additional referral services for residents and their families. North location: Can house 15 children during the Sacramento Children’s Home day and 12 at night. South location: Can house 12 children (916) 456-4417 during the day and 8 at night
National Runaway Switchboard
(800) 621-4000

Emergency Shelters: Singles

Lutheran Social Services Youth Programs

Volunteers of America
North A Street Shelter for single men only.
1400 North A St. (916) 448-5507 Open Arms. Emergency shelter and permanent housing for individuals living with AIDS/HIV. (916) 451-1765

-“THPY (Transitional Housing Project for Youth) Program”: up to 2 years of transitional housing for homeless youth between the ages of 16 and 24. To qualify, all youth must be legally emancipated, have or be working towards a
GED/high school equivalency, and have an income/employment within 60 days.

-“Youth Moving On” Program: THP plus state sponsored program that provides up to two years of transitional housNext Move - Women’s Refuge (women only) for homeless youth between the ages of 18 and 24. To ing (916) 455-0415 qualify, all youth must be legally emancipated, have or be working towards a GED/high school equivalency, and have
Salvation Army – Emergency Shelter (single men or an income/employment within 60 days. women 18+)
(916) 442-0331
12th and North B St.
-“Connections” Program: Connections provides up to two years of transitional housing for homeless youth between the
Sister Nora’s Place Long-term overnight shelter serving ages of 16 and 24. To qualify for the program all youth must chronically homeless, mentally ill women
be legally emancipated, have or be working towards a GED/


The People’s Guide

Laverne Adolfo Transitional Housing for Former Foster

Volunteers of America - Transitional Housing for
Women with Children
For women with children only. Must be referred by County
Alcohol and Drug Services.
(916) 929-1951

A transitional housing program for former foster youth, it is a two-year transitional living program (24 months maximum) for young adults 18 to 23 who have aged out of the fostercare system.

Lutheran Social Services & Next Move - Transitional
Housing Program for Families (THPF)
Serving homeless families
(916) 453-2900 www.nextmovesacramento.orge Services provided include: living skills training; housing, employment and educational services; mentoring; and counseling in a semi-independent environment.

Next Move - Wilma’s Place
Women may apply after completing 14 days at the Women’s Refuge.
(916) 455-2160 high school equivalency, and have an income/employment within 60 days.

Intake coordinator: (916) 879-1784

Next Move, VOA and Crossroads Diversified Services
Mather Community Campus (MCC)
(916) 228-3100 Winter Sanctuary
Winter Sanctuary is a program operated by a group of congregations who open their doors to the homeless. Guests are bused to and from Sacramento’s Loaves and Fishes nightly to shelter sites. Meals and sleeping bags are also provided.
Information: Call 2-1-1 or visit www.sacramentostepsforward. com. Transitional Housing

Sacramento Veterans Resource Center (SVRC)
Drug & Alcohol Program
Men’s Supportive Housing Program
Women’s Supportive Housing Program
7270 East Southgate Drive Sacramento 95823
(916) 393-8387 Housing Support Services for Veterans (does not provide actual housing)
Volunteers of America
To be assessed for this program, call (916) 228-3153.

The following Sacramento shelters facilitate the movement of homeless individuals and families to permanent housing within a reasonable amount of time (usually 24 months).
Bannon Street Shelter for sleeping—men only; 9 month recovery house for men only.
400 Bannon St.
(916) 447-3268
Friendship Housing
1322 North C Street, Sacramento 95814
(916) 341-0593
Havens Transitional Housing Program (for homeless families) 333 Third Avenue, Sacramento 95817
(916) 456-1980
Independent Living Readiness Program—VOA . For homeless singles, men and women.
530 Bercut Drive, Suite L. Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 442-1003
Next Move
For homeless families. 4516 Parker Ave, Sacramento 95817
(916) 455-2160
TLCS- Carol’s Place is a shelter for homeless adults with psychiatric disabilities. Referrals come through Guest House
Homeless Clinic at 1400 North A Street.
Guest House
(916) 440-1500
Volunteers of America-Jefferson OTLX serving CalWORKs Families. 445 Jefferson Avenue, Sacramento 95833
(916) 922-9335

Permanent Supportive Housing
Permanent Supportive Housing provides housing for homeless and disabled individuals. Many of these programs require a referral from a shelter.
Lutheran Social Services’ Saybrook
Saybrook Permanent Supportive Housing Program provides a compassionate, integrative and comprehensive support system for families experiencing alcohol and other drug
(AOD) addictions as well as mental health disabilities.
2980 35th Street, Sacramento 95817
(916) 453-2900
Bishop Francis A. Quinn Cottages
1500 North A. Street, Sacramento 95814
(916) 492 p-9065
Cottage Housing’s Serna Village has 83 apartments for homeless families with children. Six month sobriety is required before entering the program, and at least one adult has a disability. You must be referred by another community agency.

Rental Assistance and Motel Vouchers

Francis House
Couples or families should call Tuesdays at 9 AM
(916) 443-2646

The People’s Guide


Short term Motel Vouchers only (no rental assistance).
1422 C Street
Next Move
Motel vouchers, Utility Assistance, Transportation Assistance, and Rental assistance.
(916) 228-3157

Loaves & Fishes Animal Emergency Services
(916) 456-0874 A kennel available to house and feed pets while their owners participate in other services.

Low Cost Housing
Where Can I Get Low Cost
Most low-income households are eligible for government housing that will cost at least 30% of their income for rent, but the waiting lists are very long.
Public Housing is housing owned and operated by the housing authority. In Sacramento that is the Sacramento Housing and
Redevelopment Agency. There is a long waiting list for public housing in Sacramento. Most of the time, the waiting list is closed. Watch for announcements when the public housing waiting list is open.
Some of these projects advertise their availability and you can apply directly at the building or at a leasing office. Most of the time, the best way to get into this kind of housing is to go through special programs offered by community agencies that will help you get into housing when you finish the program. The programs prioritize housing for people who:
• have a disability, including mental illness and/or HIV/AIDS
• have a substance abuse problem and want to get treatment for it
• have children under 18 with them
• are over 60 years old
• are a veteran
There is not very much Project Based housing available now, and there are waiting lists at most buildings. It may take you months or longer to get housing you need, but it is worth the try.
Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency
(916) 440-1390 Your Rights: If you live in public housing and have a disagreement with your manager, including eviction, you can file a grievance to challenge what is happening. Look on any notices you have for how to ask for a grievance and for how long you have to ask for a grievance. You can also appeal if you are denied admission to public housing. You can contact
Legal Services of Northern California for help at (916) 551-2150.

What Are Housing Choice
Housing Choice (formerly called Section 8) vouchers are offered by the local government (the Housing Authority). They allow you to stay in any apartment or house where the landlord will accept them, and you pay a limited amount of money you can afford for rent (usually 30% of your income). Housing
Choice voucher recipients are also protected by rent control and state laws. An owner also has to give you at least 90 days notice if they want to stop accepting section 8 vouchers. If your unit is protected by rent control, the owner must also comply with those requirements. When you receive a Housing
Choice voucher you will have 60 days to find a landlord who will accept it, or you will have to return the voucher. At this time not many landlords are accepting the vouchers. There is a long waiting list for housing choice vouchers in Sacramento.
Most of the time, the waiting list is closed. Watch for announcements when the housing choice voucher waiting list is open.Housing Choice vouchers can be terminated by the housing authority if you do not comply with the many program requirements. If the housing authority gives you a notice that it is terminating your voucher, you can appeal. You can also appeal if you disagree with the amount of your voucher of if you are denied a voucher. Look on any notices you have for how to ask for a grievance and for how long you have to ask for a grievance. You can contact Legal Services of Northern
California for help.
Housing Authority of the County of Sacramento
(SHRA) Housing Choice Vouchers
E-mail contacts:
For applications
For current participants and owners
(916) 492-2244
Main Number: (916) 440-1390
Other cities: Check in the City Government pages in the phone book

Sacramento Self-Housing
(916) 341-0593


The People’s Guide

Renters’ and Homeowners’Rights and is clean. The landlord has to fix things that don’t work that you did not break.

Can I Get Help To Stop
If you are in danger of losing your home due to foreclosure call Neighborworks at (916) 452-5356 (press 6),
Home Loan Counseling Center at (916) 646-2005 or if you are over 60, Senior Legal Hotline at (916) 551-2140.
These numbers are groups that are approved by the government to offer advice. Be careful about signing any papers from groups you are not sure about.

What Are Renters’ Rights?
1. Help With Landlord/Tenant Problems
Legal Services of Northern California
(916) 551-2150
Human Rights/Fair Housing Commission Landlord
Tenant Hotline (916) 444-0178
Tenants Together (415) 495-8100
Pacific McGeorge Housing Mediation Center provides free mediation services to assist with a wide range of housing disputes in Sacramento County. Mediation is a voluntary and confidential process that brings disputing parties together in a safe and neutral setting to resolve conflicts using creative and flexible solutions that work for all parties involved. Free mediation services with HMC are available where at least one party qualifies as low-income based on the federal poverty guidelines (not to exceed 200%), and the property in dispute is located in Sacramento County.

If you live in the City of Sacramento and you are told you must move by Code Enforcement (your unit is “red tagged”) you may be eligible for relocation assistance from the City which will be two times your monthly rent plus the amount of your prior security deposit. (Sacramento City Code 8.100.920 et. seq.)
If your landlord will not fix problems, you should give written notice of the problem (remember to keep copies of everything relating to the problem), wait 30 days, and have proof of the problem. If you want to repair the problem yourself and deduct the cost from your rent, it must be a problem affecting your health or safety, not just something you want to change in the apartment. Generally, the best approach is to pay full rent under protest and sue the landlord separately in small claims court.
3. Rent Control
Rent control regulates the percentage by which a landlord can raise a tenants rent. It also requires that a tenant can only be evicted for good cause. The City and County of Sacramento do not have rent control.
If you have a month-to-month agreement, you can be evicted for no reason, but you must be given a 30-day written notice, or if you have lived in the unit for a year or more, you must be given a 60-day written notice. Your rent may be increased by any amount, with a 30-day written notice if you are a month-to-month tenant, but if it is raised more than 10% in a year you must be given a 60-day written notice.

Pacific McGeorge Housing Mediation Center

Contact the County Board of Supervisors at (916) 874-5411 to advocate for rent control as a protection for renters.

20 Bicentennial Circle, suite 200

4. Eviction Process

Sacramento, CA 95826

a. Written Notice - you must receive a notice in writing.
Usually a 3-day notice to pay rent or quit, or a 30/60 day notice to vacate. You can also get a 3-day notice to perform or quit for you to fix a violation of your lease or a 3-day notice to quit for waste, nuisance, illegal activity in the unit, or a lease violation you can’t fix. If you live in public or subsidized housing, you cannot be evicted without good cause.

(916) 383-1861
Email: 2. Bad Conditions
If you have bad conditions in your unit, you should tell your landlord, in writing, to fix the problems. If your landlord does not fix the problems and you live in the County of Sacramento, call Code Enforcement at (916) 874-6444. In the City of Sacramento call (916) 264-5011 or 3-1-1.
Under the City of Sacramento Rental Housing Inspection program, all rental units in the City of Sacramento must be inspected at least once every five years. You have the right to live in a place that has no holes in the wall, has working toilets, sinks, electricity, heat, no rats, roaches or other pests,

b. Summons and Complaint- This is the lawsuit. You have
5 days to answer it. If you are low income and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident you can call Legal Services of Northern
California at (916) 551-2150 for a free answer or referral to other resources. You can also go to the Unlawful Detainer clinic at the Carol Miller Justice Center for help.
c. Sheriff’s 5-day Notice to Vacate - If you don’t answer a summons and complaint or lose in court, you will get a 5-day notice to vacate. If you do not move out, you will be locked out by the sheriff sometime on or after the 5th day.

The People’s Guide


If you are being evicted, you can get help with your defense from Legal Services of Northern California. Call (916) 5512150. They are located at 515 12th Street, Sacramento, CA
95814. They can help you prepare a written response for you for free or at low cost, depending on your income. The service is also available in Spanish. You can also get help answering an Unlawful Detainer Summons from the Unlawful Detainer clinic at the Carol Miller Justice Center.
5. Illegal Lockout
If your landlord locks you out without using the eviction process, immediately call the City of Sacramento Police or the
Sacramento County Sheriff. When the police respond show them some proof that you are a tenant (receipts, ID, etc) and ask them to tell your landlord to let you back in. If the police officer does not respond, call the non-emergency phone number for Sherriff’s Department at (916) 874-5115 or the
Police Department at (916) 264-5471 and ask to speak to the watch commander. If they won’t help, call Legal Service of
Northern California at (916) 551-2150 for assistance.
6. 28-Day Shuffle
If you have lived in a residential hotel for over 30 days, you are a tenant and can only be evicted through a legal eviction. You should not be asked to move rooms or leave for a few days.
If this happens, contact Legal Services of Northern California or the Human Rights/Fair Houisng Commission (below). If you are locked out, you should call the police and show them your receipts. If you leave voluntarily, for example, if you don’t have enough money for rent, it is not illegal.

7. Housing Discrimination
If you are discriminated against in trying to buy property, rent, or use services provided to other tenants because of your race, color, religion, sex (including sexual harassment), nationality, handicap, marital status, familial status (whether you have children), lawful source of income (for example that you get welfare) or sexual orientation, call:
Legal Services of Northern California
(916) 551-2150

Department of Fair Employment and Housing
(916) 478-7230 | Toll-free: (800) 884-1684
FAX: (916) 478-7338 | TTY: (800) 700-2320
Sacramento Regional Human Rights/Fair Housing
Commission (916) 444-0178
Domestic Violence: A tenant in public or subsidized housing cannot be evicted because the tenant is a victim of domestic violence. Domestic violence victims in private housing should also be protected because evicting a domestic violence victim is sex discrimination. Contact Legal Services of Northern California for assistance or DFEH or HUD to file a complaint.

Utility and Phone Assistance

Help with Gas and Electric Bills
If you are applying for CalWORKs, you may be able to get
“immediate need” money to pay for your delinquent utility bills. (See CalWORKs "Immediate Need" pg. 44)
The Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) offers the
Energy Assistance Program Rate (EAPR) which gives a 30% discount for low income customers.
To find out if your household qualifies under EAPR income guidelines, call SMUD at 1-888-742-SMUD (7683) or visit You may also be eligible for special bill assistance programs
(based on the availability of funds) through the following agencies: •Community Resource Project: (916)-567-5200
•The Salvation Army: (916)-678-4040


Phone Assistance
California Lifeline telephone service offers phone services at a low cost depending on your income. To apply for the California LifeLine program, you should call your phone company and tell you that you are eligible for the program according to method 1 based on the program, or according to method 2, based on income. To view the qualifying programs and income limits, visit
Call 1-877-777-1914 for more information.
The California Telephone Assistance Project provides special equipment to those who are hard of hearing or have another disability that makes it difficult for to use a telephone.
Call English TTY line:

(800) 806-4474 or

Voice: (800) 806-1191

The People’s Guide

CalFresh (formerly called Food Stamps) is a government program that provides benefits so that you and your family will not go hungry. If you are eligible, you get an Electronic
Benefit Transfer (EBT) card that you can use to buy food at most stores. CalFresh is free but you must apply for them.
Many people don’t know they qualify or do not know how to apply. If you need food, you should apply. Everyone has the right to apply and deserves to have enough to eat.
You can use your CalFresh card at (to find a retailer near you that welcomes SNAP EBT customers, visit http://www. nutrition programs like CalFresh.
• If you were convicted of a felony for sales or manufacturing of drugs after August 22, 1996, you will be permanently ineligible for CalFresh. If your felony was for possession or use of drugs, you can get CalFresh if you show that you are in a drug recovery program, or have completed one OR are on a waiting list for one, or sign an affidavit that you are no longer using drugs.
• You can be permanently disqualified from the program if you are caught selling CalFresh benefits worth over $500.

• Almost every food store

• Strikers and their families are usually kept out of the program, unless they meet the income limits before the strike.

• Many Farmer's Markets

2. Special Rules for Students

• Some meals-on-wheels programs

Students between the ages of 18 and 49 who are enrolled at least half-time in a program of higher education can get
CalFresh if they meet ANY of the following:

• Some shelters are authorized to take CalFresh as payment from clients

You can use it to purchase:
• Any food item except hot foods that are meant to be eaten immediately Enrolled in CalWORKs

Working and getting paid at least 20 hours per week, or an average of 80 hours per month

• Seeds to grow your own food.
• CalFresh cannot be used for non-food products such as soap or diapers.

What Are The Benefits?

Receiving or eligible for a work-study grant

A full-time student with a child under 12

A part-time student with a child under 6 or between the ages of 6 and 12 with no adequate childcare available
• In a government approved job training program

Each month you get a dollar amount deposited into your EBT card to help you buy food. The amount your household will receive depends on your income and other factors.

Can I Get CalFresh Benefits?
1. General Eligibility
You must meet the program’s income limits. In order to see if you qualify, visit and see
“How Do I Apply for CalFresh” on page 12. You don’t have to have a home, or a place to cook, or a permanent address to get CalFresh. You can also own a home and/or car and still be eligible for CalFresh.
Some persons do not qualify:
• SSI/SSP recipients in California cannot get CalFresh because a food allowance is included in the SSI grant.
• Some non-citizens legally in the United States can get
CalFresh (see page 58 Guide for Non-Citizens” ). Even if you are not eligible for this reason, other adults or children living in your home may be eligible and should apply. Your immigration status will not be affected if other family members use

• term Not planning to register for the next normal school

If the student doesn’t meet any one of these requirements, the other people in the home may still get CalFresh even though the student can’t.
3. “Households”
The term “household” has special meaning in the CalFresh
Program. It does not mean you have a house. A household can be one person who lives alone, or it can be a group of persons, related or unrelated, who live in the same place.
There is no limit to the number of “households” that can be in the same home. A “household” includes those who buy and prepare their own food together.
Some relatives who live together must be included in the same household, even if they do NOT buy and prepare their meals together. These are:
• Your immediate family—you, your spouse, your children age 21 and under
• Your parents and you (unless you are over 21)
• Those who are acting as parents for a child under 18, unless the child is in foster care.
Relatives who CAN be considered separate households even

The People’s Guide


if they live in the same place include:

For hearing and speech impaired, dial (916) 874-2599 or 7-1-1
(California Relay Service), then one of the above numbers.

• Parents living with their adult children (over 21)

Other locations approved by the county to assist you with and submit your application include:

• Adult brothers and sisters.
4. Income Limits
Gross income limit: You can have an income and get CalFresh if the household’s “gross income” or total income before taxes is below certain limits. If anyone in your household is disabled or over 60 years old, this limit does not apply to you and you should consider applying if you are having trouble purchasing food and are not receiving SSI/SSP.

River City Food Bank:
(916) 233-4075

1. Emergency CalFresh Benefits
You may be eligible to get CalFresh the same day or at most within 3 days if one of the following applies:

Income that doesn’t count includes:

• The cost of your rent/mortgage payment or utilities is more than your monthly income and cash-on-hand.

• Money earned by children under age 18 if they are in school at least half-time

• Your liquid resources are less than the gross income requirements. • Money paid for you to a third party by someone who is not legally obligated to pay you, (for example if your grandparent pays your rent directly to the landlord)

To apply for emergency CalFresh, you need to do the application and check the box that says you want expedited CalFresh. The worker will ask for your proof of identity, residence, income, and resources, but you cannot be denied for not having these documents with you.

• Most loans
• Federal payments to help you with utilities
• “Earned Income Tax Credit” for one full year after you get it
• CalWORKs homeless assistance
• Foster care payments (when the foster children are not part of the household)
• Agent Orange Settlement payments.
• Money you pay in court-ordered child support

There are many ways to prove your identity, including your driver’s license, a sworn statement, a phone call to someone who knows you, a library card, or a letter addressed to you.
If your case is approved, an EBT card and PIN number will be issued no later than the third calendar day after you apply so you can access your food stamp benefits. If the third day falls on a weekend or holiday, you have the right to receive your
CalFresh on that Friday. If you apply after the 15th you will get the CalFresh for that month and your next month’s CalFresh.
2. Non Emergency

How Do I Apply for CalFresh?
The Department of Human Assistance processes all CalFresh applications in Sacramento County. To apply, you can visit your nearest Department of Human Assistance office or other locations approved by the county.
You can apply online at

Application: You have the right to apply in your own language and to turn in a written application on the day you go in. If someone tells you to come back to submit the application, you may insist on filing an application that same day.
It is best to fill out the application form as completely as you can, but you only need to fill out your name, address and signature to file an application. Once you turn in your application, you will be given an interview with an eligibility worker.

Sacramento: (916) 874-2072
Sacramento Covered: (866) 850-4321

You can call (916) 874-2072 to have an application mailed to you; fill it out and send it in by mail, or have someone else turn it in for you. You will still have to be interviewed either by phone or in the office depending on your situation. Phone interviews can be scheduled to make it easier for you to finish the application.


You can also apply online at

Persons living in Sacramento County should call one of the numbers listed below to find out the nearest location to apply.

(916) 745-3484

If you cannot get to an office, someone who knows your circumstances, and is authorized by you, can apply and be interviewed for you.
If you are disabled and cannot get someone to apply for you, you may submit an application by mail

For more information, call: (916) 874-2072


Interview: You may bring someone along to help you. You may be asked to sign a form making them your “authorized representative,” but you do not have to. You will go over the application you filled out and will be asked for additional information. You should be given a list of documents that you will need to complete the application process. You may be given ten days to turn in the documents. If you do not have all the necessary documents, you or someone you know may sign a statement

The People’s Guide

explaining why not.
You may be able to receive benefits while you continue to gather the required information. The eligibility worker should help you get some of your missing papers.
If everyone in your household is disabled or over 60 years of age you may request either that an eligibility worker be sent to your home at a time you agree to or that you be interviewed by phone. A worker may also visit or phone you if no adult in your household can go to the office for good reasons such as illness or disability.
Next steps: If you are asked to mail additional papers to the County office, ask the worker for a stamped envelope addressed to him or her. If you take in papers, get a receipt.
Keep your own copy of all the paperwork. If you need help and your worker is not available, the worker of the day or a supervisor should help you.
Within 30 days of applying, the County office must either mail you an EBT card and PIN number and a notice of approval or inform you in writing that you do not qualify and the reason why not.
If you are denied CalFresh, and believe you are eligible, request a hearing or call a legal aid organization right away.
(see page 70 “Good Advice.”)

who do not have children in the home must be screened for work registration. This may or may not be required, and is contingent upon state unemployment levels.
If you are not found to be exempt, you must agree to:
• Respond to a request of additional information regarding employment status or availability for employment
• Report to a suitable job if referred
• Accept a suitable job offer
• Not voluntarily reduce work hours to less than 30 hours per week
• Cooperate with the requirements of any welfare-to-work program you are assigned to, including CalFresh "workfare"
In CalFresh workfare, the number of hours you do is based on the amount of your CalFresh benefits divided by minimum wage. Sometimes when unemployment is high the County may not require workfare.
Fair Hearing
Everyone has the right to a “fair hearing” if you feel you were unfairly denied or to correct any mistakes (see pg 67.) If you appeal within 10 days or up to the day the action takes effect
(whichever period of time is longer), your usual benefits will continue until the matter is resolved.

What Are The Requirements?
1. Quarterly Reports
As of August 2013, you only have to report every six months.
You will be asked to report your income, property and household composition, and any changes in your income, property or household composition that you anticipate in the next three months. You will need to fill it out in order to continue to be eligible. Under certain circumstances, you must report changes before your required reporting month.
If your SAR-7 gets lost, or you do not turn it in, your case will be suspended at the end of the month. If you had a good reason, such as being sick or not receiving the form in the mail, your worker may grant you “good cause” and your benefits may be restored. You have up to 30 days after your report due date to turn in your report to have your benefits reinstated regardless of whether or not you had a “good cause” for not turning in your report on time.
2. Recertification
You must be reviewed for benefits each year before the end of your certification period or your CalFresh will be cut off.
You will receive a letter that tells you the application for this review is due. Be sure to complete this on time so you can continue to receive CalFresh without a break.
3. Work Registration
All CalFresh household members age 16 through age 59

The People’s Guide


Lost, Stolen or Damaged EBT Card
You must report a lost, stolen or demagnetized EBT card immediately. Call customer service right away at (877) 328-9677.
Wait through two card number prompts without entering your EBT card number and you will hear a prompt to report your card as lost or stolen. Once reported, your EBT card is disabled and you are told how to get a new card. Call customer service as soon as possible! If someone uses your card and PIN number to get benefits, before you report it lost or stolen, these benefits will not be replaced. A new card will be issued right away so you will receive it in three business days.
You can also manage your EBT Account at the client EBT website:

Free and Low
Cost Food

The following 10 sites are provided by Sacramento
Food Bank & Family Services:
• Del Paso Church of God - 4039 Balsam St., Sacramento,
95838. First Tues, 5-7 p.m. Serves zips 95815, 95817, 95818,
95820, 95833, 95834, 95835, 95836, 95837, 95838.
• North Metro Church of Christ - 4191 Norwood Avenue.,
Sacramento, 95838. First Tues, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Serves zips
95815, 95817, 95818, 95820, 95833, 95834, 95835, 95836,
95837, 95838.
• Oak Park Community Center - 3425 Martin Luther King
Blvd., Sacramento, 95817. Second Tues, 5-7 p.m. and Fourth
Wed, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Serves zips 95815, 95817, 95818, 95820,
95833, 95834, 95835, 95836, 95837, 95838.
• Oak Park United Methodist Church - 3600 Broadway,
Sacramento, 95817. Second Tues, 5-7 p.m. and Fourth Wed,
11 am-1 pm Serves zips 95815, 95817, 95818, 95820, 95833,
95834, 95835, 95836, 95837, 95838.
• Shiloh Baptist Church-3565 9th Ave., Sacramento, 95817.
Second Wed, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Serves zips 95815, 95817, 95818,
95820, 95833, 95834, 95835, 95836, 95837, 95838.
• Peace Lutheran Church - 924 San Juan Rd., Sacramento,
95834. Second Thurs, 5-7 p.m. Serves zips 95815, 95817,
95818, 95820, 95833, 95834, 95835, 95836, 95837, 95838.
• St. Joseph’s Catholic Church - 1717 El Monte Ave., Sacramento, 95815. Third Tues, 5-7 p.m. Serves zips 95815, 95817,
95818, 95820, 95833, 95834, 95835, 95836, 95837, 95838.

Where Can I Get Free Food?

• St. Paul’s Church of God in Christ - 2771 Grove Ave.,
Sacramento, 95815. Third Tues, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Serves zips
95815, 95817, 95818, 95820, 95833, 95834, 95835, 95836,
95837, 95838.

1. Food Pantries and Free Meals
Food pantries are places that give food to people in need.
Most food pantries are volunteer private organizations that can make their own rules about who can be served. Most of them are limited to serving people in certain areas and for one to four times a month. They may require some kind of identification and proof that you are low income. Generally, food pantries never have as much as is needed. Foods distributed most often include canned foods, rice, beans, bread, cereal, and occasionally produce items.
Free hot meals are offered at many private volunteer agencies and churches. The frequency of the meals varies from daily in some places to once a month.
Here are some food or referral agencies:
211 (County phone referral line) Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services-Food Program Distributions: Please note for all sites the following information is required: Proof of address: piece of mail dated in the last 30 days with your name, date, and address AND


some form of ID: Drivers License/ID: Medical Card, Social
Security Card, Bus Pass, Credit Card, School ID.

• St. Matthew Christian Church- 4809 Roosevelt Ave.
Sacramento, 95820. Third Thurs, 5-7 p.m. Serves zips 95815,
95817, 95818, 95820, 95833, 95834, 95835, 95836, 95837,
• Del Paso Union Baptist Church 1335 Los Robles Blvd.,
Sacramento, 95838. Fourth Thurs, 5-7 p.m. Serves 95838.
The following resources offer food bank and food locker services to all who need emergency food.
Loaves & Fishes Dining Room 1321 N. C. Street, Sacramento, 95811; (916) 446-0874. Mon-Fri, 11:30 a.m.-1
p.m. & Sat-Sun, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. A separate dining room is available for women and children through the Maryhouse program, with meals available at the same times as above.
Capital Christian Center 9470 Micron Ave. Sacramento,
95827; (916) 856-5683. Mon-Fri, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Serving Sacramento County.
River City Food Bank 1800 27th Street, Sacramento, 95816;
(916) 446-2627. Must have ID, and children’s ID must have a

The People’s Guide

birth date. Serves residents of Sacramento County, but not Yolo.

Sacramento, 95814. Hot meal served Sun at 1:30 p.m.

Salvation Army 1200 N. B Street, Sacramento, 95814;
(916) 442-0303. Tues, Wed and Thurs, 9:00-11:30 a.m. &
1:00-3:00 p.m. Closed for lunch. Need proof of residency and some form of I.D.

Elk Grove

Antelope Hills 7th Day Adventist 4219 Antelope Road,
Antelope, 95843; (916) 721-3121. 2nd, 3rd and 4th Mon,
10-11:30 a.m. Serves zips 95626, 95660, 95842 and 95843.
Arden Church of the Nazarene 3337 Arden Way, Sacramento, 95825; (916) 482-6064. 2nd and 4th Fri, Noon-1:30
Sierra Arden Food Closet 890 Morse Ave, Sacramento,
95864; (916) 483-1942. Tues-Fri, 10-11:45 a.m. Serves zips
95825 and 95864.

Elk Grove Food Bank 9820 Dino Dr., Ste 140, Elk Grove,
95624; (916) 685-8453. Food distribution Mon-Fri, 10 am1:30 p.m. 3-day supply of groceries once/month. Serves zips
95624, 95757, 95758, 95683, 95693, 95759, and homeless.
If not homeless, need ID and proof of residence.
Powerhouse Ministries 311 Market Street, Folsom, 95636;
(916) 983-0658. Thurs, 10 a.m.-noon. Serving zips 95630 and 95662.
Twin Lakes Food Bank 327 Montrose Drive, Folsom, CA
95630; (916) 985-6232. Tues, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 4:30-7
p.m. Wed and Thurs, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Serves zips 95630,
95662 and 95746.

Sierra Arden Neighborhood Food Closet 890 Morse Ave.,
Sacramento, 95864; (916) 483-1942. Tuesday - Friday 1011:45 a.m. Serves zips 95825 and 95864.

South County Services 539 N. Lincoln Way, Galt, 95632;
(209) 745-9174. Mon-Thurs, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Fri 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Call for service area.


North Highlands

Carmichael Adventist Community Services 4600 Winding Way, Sacramento, 95841-4540; (916) 487-8684. Proof of residency and ID needed. Wednesdays 9 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Can get food once monthly. Serves zips 95608, 95609, 95610,
95621, 95821, 95840 and 95841.

North Highlands Christian Food Ministry 6125 Watt
Avenue, North Highlands, 95660; (916) 331-1510. Hours/Days
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, 9:30 a.m.-noon. Need ID and proof of residence. May be closed during the months of
July and August. Serves zip codes 95660, 95842 and 95843.

Carmichael Community Building 5750 Grant Ave. Sacramento, 95608; (916) 485-5322. First Tues. Serves zips 95608,
95609, 95841 and 95842

North Sacramento

Carmichael Presbyterian Church 5645 Marconi Ave.,
Carmichael, 95608. Food closet: (916) 483-9232. Office:
(916) 486-9081. Must call during Food basket request hours:
M-F 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Pick up hours: 2-3:30 p.m.. Serves zips
95608, 95610, 95621, 95660, 95821, 95825, 95841, 95842 and 95843
Our Lady of Assumption 5057 Cottage Way, Carmichael,
95608; (916) 481-6352. Tues and Thurs, 9-10:50 a.m. Serves zips 95608 and 95864.
St. Vincent de Paul Food Locker 5751 Locust Avenue,
Carmichael, 95608; (916) 483-2161. Weekly food Wednesday
9 a.m.-12. p.m. Proof of address needed. Serves zip code area 95608.
Citrus Heights
Sunrise Christian Food Ministry 5901 San Juan Ave.,
Citrus Heights, 95610; (916) 965-5431. Mon-Fri, 11:30-3
p.m. Proof of residency and I.D. required. Serves zips 95610,
95621 and 95628.
Downtown/Midtown Sacramento
Central Downtown Food Basket 1701 L Street, Sacramento,
95811; (916) 761-5624. Each Thursday morning 9 a.m. -noon.

El Camino Baptist Church 2805 El Camino Avenue, 95821
(Fulton & El Comino); (916) 488-1522. Mon and Tues, 8 a.m.5 p.m. for families with ID and proof of address. Serves zips
95821, 95825 and 95815.
Northminster Presbyterian 3235 Pope Ave., Sacramento,
95821; (916) 487-5192. 2nd Wed, by appointment. Serves zip 95821.
Our Lady of Lourdes
1951 North Ave., Sacramento, CA.
95838; (916) 925-5313. Register Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. for food pick up between 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. Disabled individuals may enter through the back door to avoid waiting in line. Need proof of address and/or ID. Serves zips 95673,
95626 and 95838.
Stanford Settlement 450 West El Camino Ave., Sacramento,
95833 (916) 927-1303. Serves zips 95815, 95833, 95834 and 95835
St. Mathews 2300 Edison Ave., Sacramento, 95821; (916)
927-0115 x3. Tuesday and Thursday 10-11:30 a.m. Once per month. Need ID and proof of address. Serves zip 95821.
Orangevale 7th Day Adventist Church 5810 Pecan Ave.,
Orangevale, 95662; (916) 967-2838. Tuesday 9 to 12 p.m.
Once per month food basket. Proof of address and written

Food Not Bombs Cesar Chavez Plaza, 9th and J Street,

The People’s Guide


referral required. Serves zips 95630 and 95662.

Grow Your Own Food

Rancho Cordova
Atonement Lutheran Church 9242 Kiefer Blvd., Rosemont.
Each 4th Tuesday 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Cordova Community Food Locker 10497 Coloma Rd
Rancho Cordova, 95670; (916) 364-8973. Mon, Wed and
Fri., 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Picture I.D., SS or Medical cards may be used.
South Sacramento
All Nations Church of God 3939 Broadway Sacramento,
95817; (916) 456-3963. Sat, 2-5 p.m.
Antioch Progressive Baptist Church 7650 Amherst St.
Sacramento, 95632; (916) 665-2600. Tues, 11 a.m.-noon
Serves zip 95632.
Capital City Adventist Community Services 6701 Lemon
Hill Ave., Sacramento, 95824; (916) 381-5353. 2nd, 3rd and
4th Mon, 9:30-11:30 a.m. Serves zips 95820, 95822, 95823,
95824, 95828 and 95829.

You can save money and have nutritious food by growing some of your own vegetables. You can garden in your yard, in containers, in school–yard projects and in community gardens.
To find out where community garden space is available, or to get materials, seeds, and advice on gardening contact:
The Sacramento Area Community Garden Coalition
3611 Del Paso Blvd. Sacramento, CA 95838 (916) 508-6025;
Davis Community Gardens: (530)757-5626; City of Sacramento Community Garden Program (916)
Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services 3333 3rd
Ave., Sacramento, 95817; (916) 456-1980;

Cathedral of Praise 2875 Meadowview Rd., Sacramento,
95832; (916) 568-7606. Walk in. Tues, 11 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Picture ID required.
Daughters of Zion 6489 47th Street, Sacramento, 95823;
(916) 422-3875. 2nd & 4th Saturday, 2 - 4 p.m., & 4th Tuesday,
12 - 1:30p.m. Need ID.
Genesis Baptist Church 2801 Meadowview Road, Sacramento, 95832; (916) 422-8772

Farmers’ Markets
At farmers’ markets, you can save up to 30% buying fresh vegetables and fruit directly from family-owned farms. Listed below with an [*] are markets that accept EBT (Food Stamps) and WIC or Senior Farmers Market Coupons.

New Covenant Church of the Nazarene 7128 Florin
Perkins Rd., Sacramento, 95828; (916) 912-9182. Wed, Fri and Sat, 8:30-10:30 a.m. Serves Sacramento County.


New Hope Food Closet - New Hope Community Church of Sacramento
1821 Meadowview Road, Sacramento,
95832; (916) 422-3370. Every Thursday at 2 p.m. Sign-ups start at 12 p.m.

*Florin Mall 65th and Florin Road - Sears. Thursday, 8
a.m. to noon, all year long

South Sacramento Christian Center 7710 Stockton Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95823; (916) 504-3370. 2nd and 4th Sat, 9
a.m.-noon. Serves Sacramento County.
South Sacramento Interfaith Partnership 5625 24th
Street, Sacramento, 95822; (916) 428-5290. Mon and Fri,
9-11:30 a.m. Includes vegetables and other packaged products.
Serves zips 95822, 95823, 95824, 95826, 95828, 95831, and
95832. ID required for number of children.

*Sacramento Central 8th and W streets, underneath
Highway 80. Sunday, 8 a.m. to noon. Open all year.

*Inderkum High School 2500 New Market Drive behind
Inderkum High School. May through October, Saturday 9 am-Noon *Yolo County-Davis: Central Park, 4th & C Sts. Sat, 8 a.m.-1
p.m. all year and Wed. 2 p.m.-6 p.m., Nov-March
*Soil Born American River Ranch Stand: 2140 Chase Dr.,
Rancho Cordova, Saturdays, 8 a.m.-1 p.m.; May 25-Nov 16
*Oak Park Farmers’ Market: McClatchy Park, 35th St. &
5th Ave., Sacramento. Saturdays, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., May-Oct

Southpoint Christian Center 7520 Stockton Blvd. Sacramento, 95823; (916) 383-3028. Mon, 8-10 am. Serves zips
95820, 95828 and 95829.

*The Promenade Farmers’ Market: 3637 N. Freeway
Blvd, (off of Gateway Blvd.) N. Natomas. Saturdays, 8 a.m.noon, May-Oct.

Traveler’s Aid 2251 Florin Road, Suite 130. Sacramento,
95822; (916) 399-9646. By appointment.

*Laguna Gateway Farmers’ Market: Laguna & Big Horn
Blvd. (Parking lot), Elk Gorve. Saturdays, 8 a.m.-noon.

California Indian Manpower Consortium 738 North
Market Blvd., Sacramento, 95834; (916) 920-0285 or (916)
564-4053. Provides an emergency free food voucher. You need proof of heritage, residency, and income.

*Sunrise Mall: 6041 Sunrise Mall, at the corner of Sunrise
Blvd. and Greenback Lane in Citrus Heights (located behind the
Sears auto department). Saturdays, 8 a.m.-noon all year long.


*Carmichael Park

The People’s Guide

5750 Grant Ave., Carmichael, 95608;

(916) 484-7000. Sundays, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., all year long. Will be EBT ready by July 2013.
Consumnes River College 8401 Center Parkway, Sacramento, Parking Lot D. Sundays, 8 a.m.-noon, from May 6 to
October 28
Roosevelt Park Between 9th and 10th and P Street. Tuesdays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., from May 1 through October 30
Fremont Park 16th and P Streets. Tuesdays, 10 a.m.-2
p.m., from May 1 through October 30
Casear Chavez 10th and J streets, in front of City Hall.
Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., from May 2 through October 31
Elk Grove Regional Park 9950 Elk Grove-Florin Rd, Elk
Grove Pavilion Parking Lot. Wednesdays, 4 p.m.-8 p.m., from
May 16 through August 29
Downtown Plaza 4th and K street walkway between Macy’s and the Holiday Inn (in the Downtown Plaza). Thursdays, 10
a.m.-2 p.m., from May 3 to October 24
Florin Road Light Rail Florin Road & 29th Street. Thursdays, 7 a.m. to 11 a.m., all year long
Dollar Tree Florin Road and Stockton Boulevard – Dollar
Tree Store. Thursdays, 8 a.m. to noon, all year long
Country Club Plaza Watt and El Camino – market in parking lot on Butano Drive 8 a.m. to noon all year long

Delta Cove 6800 Woodbine Avenue, Sacramento, 95822;
(916) 422-1980. Lunch at 11:30 a.m. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-1:30
Greenfair Tower II 702 Fairgrounds Drive Sacramento
95817; (916) 455-3668. Lunch at 12 p.m. Hours: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Hart Senior Center 915 27th St. Sacramento 95816 (916)
264-5462 Lunch at 11:30am, Hours 9:30am-1:30pm
Mission Oaks 4701 Gibbons Drive Carmichael 95608; (916)
972-0336, x226. Lunch at 12 p.m. Hours: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Rio Linda 810 Oak Lane, Rio Linda, 95673; (916) 991-3405.
Lunch at 11:45 a.m., Hours 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
Riverview Plaza 600 I Street, 15th Floor, Sacramento, 95814;
(916) 448-3191. Lunch at 12 p.m., Hours: 10 a.m.- 2 p.m.
Rizal Community Center 7320 Florin Mall Drive, Sacramento, 95823; (916) 395-0601. Lunch at 12 p.m. Hours: 10
a.m.- 2 p.m.
Sierra Arden 890 Morse Avenue, Sacramento, 95825; (916)
Stanford Settlement 450 West El Camino Ave., Sacramento,
95825; (916) 927-1818. Lunch at 11:30 a.m. Hours: 9:30
a.m.-1:30 p.m.

Del Paso Heights 3525 Norwood Ave. – Robertson Community Center. 8 a.m. to noon

Fruitridge Community Center 4000 Fruitridge Road, Sacramento, 95820; (916) 422-7610.
Lunch at 11:30 a.m., Hours 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

Senior Food Resources

Hagginwood Community Center 3271 Marysville Blvd., Sacramento, 95815; (916) 922-4770.
Lunch at 11:45 a.m. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

Senior Citizens Services 8175 Signal Court, Suite M, Sacramento, 95824 (Near Power Inn & Elder Creek); (916) 381-7794
Food distribution Monday - Friday, 9:00 - 11:30 a.m.; Saturday, 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. Provides emergency food assistance for non-*members who must have a referral from a church or social service organization.
*Membership is only $20.00 a month. You will receive a food box each week on the day that is convenient for you.
Congregate Meal Programs for Seniors (Small donation requested, but not required)
Comstock Building 1725 K Street, Sacramento, 95814; (916)
442-1257. Lunch at 11:45 a.m. Hours: 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Cordova Senior Center 3480 Routier Road, Sacramento
95827; (916) 361-1262. Lunch at 11:45 a.m., Hours: 9:45
a.m. - 1:45 p.m.
Creekside Village 6465 Village Center Drive, Sacramento
95823; (916) 391-2854. Lunch at 12 p.m. Hours: 10 a.m. - 2

Pannell Community Center 2450 Meadowview Road, Sacramento, 95832; (916) 433-6680
Lunch at 12 p.m., Hours: 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Japanese Methodist Church 6929 Franklin Blvd., Sacramento, 95823; (916) 421-1017.
Lunch on Wednesdays at 12 p.m., Hours: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Sacramento Buddhist Church 2401 Riverside Blvd., Sacramento, 95818; (916) 446-0121.
Lunch on Fridays at 12 p.m., Hours: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Johnston Park Community Center 231 Eleanor Avenue, Sacramento, 95815; (916) 566-6442.
Lunch on Thursdays at 12 p.m. Hours: 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
North Highlands Comunity Center 6040 Watt
Avenue North Highlands, 95660; (916) 334-6249.
Lunch at 11:30 a.m., Hours: 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Orangevale Community Center 6745 Hazel Avenue,
Orangevale, 95662; (916) 988-2452. Lunch at 12 p.m.,
Hours: 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Rusch Park Community Center 7801 Auburn Blvd.
Citrus Heights, 95610; (916) 838-2943. Lunch at 11:45
a.m., Hours: 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Women’s Civic Imp. Center 3555 Third Av-

The People’s Guide


enue, Sacramento, 95817; (916) 452-9167.
Lunch at 12 p.m. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

Home Delivered Meals for Seniors and Disabled
Call each program for rules as they are not the same at every location.
“Meals on Wheels” Asian Community Center (916) 4449533 or (877) 434-8075.
All Seasons Cafe-Senior Dining (916) 444-9533. Provides nutritional lunches to seniors at 27 locations throughout Sacramento. Call the office to find the nearest location.
Meals a la Car (916) 391-3837. Delivers hot, nutritious meals to homebound elderly and disabled.
Senior Nutrition Services (916) 444-9533. Serving many
Sacramento zip codes, also Elverta.


The People’s Guide

The People’s Guide


*This is not a complete list but will give you an idea of where you can get help around the area

Where to Get Food Assistance in Sacramento*

What is the WIC Program?
The Women, Infants and Children program, called WIC, provides vouchers for certain foods and nutrition education for pregnant women, women who just had a baby, breastfeeding women , and children up to age 5 (including foster children and children raised by their father as well as other children).
You qualify for WIC if your household receives Food Stamps,
CalWORKs or full Medi-Cal. Or you qualify if your “gross income” (your income before taxes and deductions) is below a certain level. See “How Do I Apply for WIC?” on this page for more information.
If you are pregnant, bring verification when you apply. Also, you or your child must be medically identified as in need of better nutrition. It is helpful, but not requi ¿ red, to bring current medical information when you apply.
If you are treated unfairly in any way, you can complain to the supervisor at the WIC site or hand in a short note or letter requesting a hearing. Include the date, your name and address and an explaination of your complaint. Keep a copy of your letter.

What Are The Benefits?

the program. In some WIC programs, breastfeeding women can come into the WIC clinic any time they have a question, a problem, or need support.

How Do I Apply for WIC?
For information on how to apply for WIC in Sacramento call
(916) 876-5000. The main office is located:
Sacramento County WIC Program
Main Office
2251 Florin Road, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95822
(916) 876-5000
There are seven WIC clinics in Sacramento. Call for information.
You may also visit
Pages/Women-Infants-and-Children-Home.aspx for more information. • Special checks to buy healthy foods such as milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, dry beans and peas, and peanut butter.

Cash vouchers to purchase fruits and vegetables.

• WIC also provides a limited number of vouchers that can be used at Farmer’s Markets for fruits and vegetables.

Information about nutrition and health to help you and your family eat well and be healthy
• Support and information about breastfeeding your baby
• Vouchers for forumla (if you are not breastfeeding exclusively) and cereals for infants are available.
• Help in finding health care and other community services
• Extra vouchers: Women who breastfeed exclusively receive an extra set of vouchers providing them with additional foods including tuna and fresh carrots.
• Counseling: WIC participants are regularly scheduled to attend meetings and individual counseling. Some of the topics discussed include car seat safety, tooth decay, food and nutrition, and breastfeeding.
You can share your concerns about breastfeeding and children’s eating habits with a counselor and other mothers involved in


The People’s Guide

Child Nutrition
Can My Child Get Free School
Breakfast and Lunch?
All low-income children qualify for free or reduced price school meals, regardless of immigration status. Children who eat regular meals learn better and are usually sick less than other children. All public schools and some private and parochial schools offer breakfast and lunch programs.
Your child qualifies for free or reduced-price meals if your gross family income per month (income before taxes or deductions) is below a certain level.
You should be given an application for the meal program in your own language at the beginning of the school year or whenever your child transfers. You can also ask for one at any time from the school office, because if your income goes down during the year, your child may become eligible.
If you receive CalWORKs, food stamps, or the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, the only information you have to give is your case number, and your child automatically qualifies for free meals.
If you do not receive CalWORKs or food stamps, you will have to list the total income of your household, the names of household members, and the Social Security number of the adult signing the application. If you do not have a number, just write “none”. You are not required to apply for a number or give a reason for not having one.

and snacks are served at schools, parks, community centers and recreation centers.
To find out where your children can eat free when they are not in school, call the City of Sacarmento at (916) 498-1000 or the CA Department of Education for summer meal sites:
800-952-5609. If you want to learn how to start free Summer
Lunch in your area, call the California Food Policy Advocates at (213) 482-8200. For more information, visit http://www. What Are My Child’s Rights?
• The law says that children who get free or reduced-price meals cannot be treated differently than those who get fullprice meals. No separate lines, different meals or meal tickets, required work, or other types of discrimination are allowed.
• Ask the school, child-care sponsor, or summer recreation program sponsor for a “fair hearing” if you apply and are unfairly denied. Also request the hearing if you receive notice that your benefits will be cut. By doing so within 10 days, your child’s benefits will continue until the hearing takes place.

In some cases, you must give the school some proof of your income (by showing your pay stubs to the school secretary, for example). All information gathered is confidential and cannot be given to other government agencies.
If the information you give on the application shows that you qualify, your child can begin receiving free or reduced-price meals immediately.
Foster children are often eligible for free meals, regardless of the foster parents’ income.
Extra Food for Pregnant Students
At many schools, pregnant and breastfeeding students can get extra food at breakfast or lunch, or an extra snack. To be eligible, the student must provide some written verification that she is pregnant or breastfeeding from a doctor, nurse, midwife, clinic, WIC or Cal-Learn program.

Summer Meals
All children age 18 and under regardless of income can eat

free, nutritious meals during the summer or any time when school is out for more than 15 days through the Summer Meals
Program. If the child is physically disabled, the age limit is 21.
No application or other kind of paperwork is required. Meals

The People’s Guide


In March 2010, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care
Act (ACA) was signed into law. The goal of health reform is make sure that more Americans have insurance, either public or private. Medi-Cal, a state-subsidized healthcare, will expand to cover higher incomes. More information about Medi-Cal, eligibility and the application process is below. Starting in January 2014, if you do not qualify for Medi-Cal or another public health care program, you will be required to have another means of health insurance. Even if you do not qualify for Medi-Cal, you may be eligible for the Premium Assistance Program. This can help to reduce the cost of your health insurance premium, which is the amount of money you pay to buy health insurance coverage each month. Depending on your income, Cost Sharing Assistance can reduce the amount of health care expenses an individual has to pay when getting care. These expenses include copayments and other health care bills.
Covered California’s Health Benefit Exchange marketplace can help you find affordable health plans and answer any questions you may have. Visit or call
888-975-1142. To calculate an estimatead cost of healthcare, visit
You may also contact Sacramento Covered at 1-866-8504321 for assistance in finding a health plan.
Starting January 1, 2014, you cannot be denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition (this has already begun for children under age 19). If you are a young adult under age 26, you can remain on your parents’ private health coverage. (See For more information on changes to private health insurance, visit

The major groups who can get Medi-Cal are:
• People getting SSI, CalWORKs, foster care, adoption assistance, or certain immigrants receiving Entrant or
Refugee Cash Assistance benefits. These groups get free
Medi-Cal with no “Share of Cost.”
• Pregnant women
• Children under age 21
• Adults 65 or over
• People of any age who are disabled or blind by SSI guidelines (whether or not you are getting SSI)
• Families in which at least one parent is absent, deceased, disabled or unable to work, unemployed, or under-employed. “Unemployed” means that the parent who has earned the most in the past two years is working less than
100 hours a month. “Underemployed” means that the family’s earned income is below the federal poverty level.
• Taking care of a related child under 21
• Refugees
• People living in a long term care facility
• People recieving dialysis for kidney failure
• People infected with tuberculosis (unless undocumented)
• Women (and some men) diagnosed with breast or cervical cancer.
Besides fitting into one of the above categories, you must also meet certain income and resource limits. If your children are low income but get too much income to qualify for Medi-Cal, en
2. Immigration Status
If you are a California resident and meet other Medi-Cal requirements, you can apply for a restricted Medi-Cal card, even if you’re undocumented. This will pay for emergency services, pregnancy-related care and long term care services.
Most low income legal immigrants can get regular (also called full-scope) Medi-Cal to cover most of their medically necessary health needs.

Can I Get Medi-Cal ?

Medi-Cal is a health insurance program to help pay the medical expenses of low income families, seniors, and people with disabilities. The state and federal government fund Medi-Cal. There are many Medi-Cal programs with different rules. Depending on which program you qualify for and how much money you make, Medi-Cal may pay for all your medical expenses or you might have to pay a share of the cost when you access health care services in a particular month.

Many immigrants can get full health coverage, even if they do not have a green card, for example those who are victims of domestic violence, or those in the process of adjusting their legal status (i.e., they are applying for Legal Permanent
If you are receiving CalWORKs, SSI, foster care, or certain refugee benefits, you get Medi-Cal automatically and do not need to apply separately.

How Do I Apply for Medi-Cal?

1. Groups of Eligibility
You can get Medi-Cal if you:

1. Get an Application Form

• Meet income and resource tests and
• Are a California resident and intend to stay in California and •Fit within one of the eligible groups.

You can get one mailed to you by calling the DHA toll-free number at 1 (888) 747-1222; or you can get one at a DHA
Office. (See page 69); or you can get one at many hospitals and clinics, whether they are private or county-run.


The People’s Guide

2. Children Under Age 19

6. Wait for Approval

You may apply for Medi-Cal for your children. Children who receive a CHDP visit are screened for temporary eligibility for Medi-Cal. If a child is eligible, he/she is pre-enrolled in temporary, full-scope Medi-Cal at no cost for up to 60 days
(for the month of the visit and the month after).

Normally, the Medi-Cal office will approve or deny your application within 45 days of receiving it, except for the faster ways for children, described above. If the state must evaluate a disability, the approval or denial can be delayed up to 90 days. If Medi-Cal denies your benefits, you can appeal. See pg. 67 for the “Hearings and Complaints” section.

Infants who were born to a woman recieving Medi-Cal at the time of birth should receive Medi-Cal ongoing until the age of one.
3. Filling Out the Application
You can get help filling out the application by calling (916)
874-3100. A Medi-Cal worker will go over the application you filled out. If you are asked for more information, you will be given a list of what is needed and a specific date by which the information must be mailed to the Medi-Cal office. A "return appointment" is not necessary.
4. Provide Needed Papers
• Identification with your name and current address on it. For example, a birth certificate, driver’s license, or California ID card. If you lack ID, you can fill out a form called “PA 853” and swear that you are who you say you are , or documents to verify income or disability status may also serve as proof of identity.
• Social Security Number or Card (or proof of application for the card) only for those requesting "full-scope" benefits.
• Proof of income (like check stubs,a copy of your tax return, a self-affidavit or statement of income if you are paid in cash or do not have any other way to prove income)
• Proof that you live in Sacramento County (a document that has your name and an address on it, such as an ID, a bill mailed to your house, school attendance records, pay stubs, etc.) for each adult on the application.
• Proof of U.S. citizenship and identity or acceptable immigration status for each person on the application who has declared acceptable immigration status. If you are a parent applying for children only, you do not need to submit proof of your immigration status.
• Vehicle registration if ownership of more than one vehicle is declared.
• Verification of child or dependent care, educational expenses and/or health insurance premiums or court ordered child support payments can be used as deductions, but are not needed to determine eligibility.
5. Cooperate With Child Support Services
If one parent is absent, most people will have to cooperate with DHA and a county agency called the Department of Child
Support Services (DCSS.) You must provide information you have about the other parent such as an address or social security number, to establish who your child’s absent father or mother is and whether that parent can provide the child with medical insurance.

7. The Medi-Cal Card
Once you have been “approved,” you may ask your worker for a written verification of your eligibility status from the MediCal Eligibility Data Systems (MEDS) or your medical provider may be able to use your Social Security Number to verify your eligibility status through their Point of Service system.
Your permanent white plastic Medi-Cal card, called a “Benefit
Identification Card” or BIC, is mailed to your address. Each person listed on your application will get one, even if they aren’t eligible for Medi-Cal, because if the family must pay a monthly Share of Cost, the medical expenses of every person listed on the application can be used to meet the Share of Cost. If you don’t get your plastic card by the end of the month, or lose it, contact your worker. Keep the BIC even if your Medi-Cal stops. If you need Medi-Cal again, you can use the same BIC.
8. Authorization For Service Under Fee-for-Service
Before certain medical services can be performed for you the state or your health plan has to give an authorization for the service. This is called a Treatment Authorization Request
This does NOT apply to emergency care, office visits, and most drugs. It is the job of the doctor, pharmacist, or other service provider, not the patient, to get this authorization from the state.
However, if the state or health plan denies or changes the authorization, the state will notify you and your doctor. You can appeal any unreasonable delay, denial, reduction, or termination of care. (See pg. 67” "Hearings and Complaints")
9. If You Are Pregnant
If you are not more than 30 weeks pregnant and have too much income to be eligible for free Medi-Cal, you may be eligible for a program called AIM (Access for Infants and
Mothers). Call AIM at (800) 433-2611. You can also get AIM even if you have medical insurance, if your insurance does not cover pregnancy or if you have a $500 "deductible".
Many pregnant woman can get a temporary Medi-Cal card called "Presumptive Eligibility" immediately, without showing proof of pregnancy or providing information on property, car, or resources. This will help you get early prenatal care, lab tests and medication. You still have to turn in a regular
Medi-Cal application and provide proof of income by the end of the next month if you still need Medi-Cal.
As soon as the baby is born call your worker to report the name and date to add the new baby to your family case record. The baby needs his or her own card by the end of the

The People’s Guide


month after birth. However, you should not have to fill out a new Medi-Cal application for your baby. If you have trouble reaching your worker to tell the worker about the birth of your baby, some WIC offices and clinics have “Newborn Referral
Forms” you can mail to DHA. Or you can get one yourself on the internet at pdf.

provider in the 3 months before you applied for Medi-Cal, ask your worker for a form to apply for “retroactive benefits.”
The mail-in application also asks if you want this. If you were eligible for Medi-Cal during those 3 months, Medi-Cal may pay those bills. If you’ve already paid the bills and Medi-Cal covers the services, your clinic, doctor, dentist, or pharmacist should provide the refund to you. If you have trouble getting a refund, call Legal Services at (916) 551-2150.

10. If You Are Disabled
If you have certain severe physical or mental problems,
(such as mental retardation or inability to walk) or if you have AIDS, you may also be able to get Medi-Cal based on disability even before the state determines you are disabled. This is called "Presumptive Disability". Bring medical reports that show you are disabled when you apply. Both children and adults can get disability Medi-Cal.
The Medi-Cal Program for Aged and Disabled Persons provides
Medi-Cal services at no Share of Cost if you are not able to work and are 65 years of age or older or disabled. Information about the Working Disabled program is on page 25.

What Are The Income Limits?
Your countable income determines whether or not you can get Medi-Cal for free or whether you have to pay a “Share of
Cost.” (You only pay a "share of cost" in months when you actually use services.) Certain types of income don’t count or can be subtracted. The different Medi-Cal programs count the income limits differently. It’s important when applying for
Medi-Cal to report income and expenses including:
• Up to $175 (this may be subject to change) for child care for each child age 2 and over

11. Women (and Men) with Breast or Cervical Cancer

• $200 (this may be subject to change) for childcare for each child under age two

If you are under 65 without health insurance, or underinsured
(you have high premiums, deductibles, co-payments or Share of Cost) and you have been both screened and diagnosed with breast or cervical cancer, you may get free Medi-Cal immediately and during the entire time you are receiving cancer treatment, depending on your income. There are no resource limits for this program.

• Court-ordered child and spousal support paid

If you do not qualify for the above program because of age or immigration status, you may still get time limited Medi-Cal for cancer-related services only under a more limited “state only” program. Under that program, breast cancer treatment for men or women is limited to 18 months (which includes males who have been screened and diagnosed with breast cancer), and cervical cancer treatment is limited to 24 months.

• Child support received
• Educational expenses
• Business expenses of self-employed parents.
Once a family qualifies for Medi-Cal, hundreds of dollars of their earnings might not count against their eligibility.
Elderly (65 and older), blind or disabled persons can deduct (these amounts may be subject to change):
• $20
• $65 from earned income
• Half of any remaining earned income

12. Retroactive Benefits

• Any health insurance premiums paid by you.

If you had medical or pharmacy services from a Medi-Cal

Some elderly or disabled people, even though not receiving


The People’s Guide

SSI, may get free Medi-Cal if the countable monthly income is less than a certain amount. This is called the “Aged and
Disabled Federal Poverty Level” Medi-Cal program. If you are over these limits you can still get Medi-Cal, but there will be a share of cost.
Special Low-Cost Medi-Cal for Working Disabled
If you are a disabled working person or are married and both of you are working and disabled, you can get lower cost
Medi-Cal if your income if you meet the income requirements.
If you qualify, you will have to pay a monthly premium that goes up the more income that you have. Income deductions and exemptions apply, so apply even if you think your income may be too high; you can contact Legal Services of Northern
California at (916) 551-2150 if you are denied.

What Are The Resource Limits?

Children whose income is too high for free Medi-Cal can get
Medi-Cal with a Share of Cost (see the Childrens’ Health Care section on page 28). You can find the premiums at 1-800
880-5305. Even if a child’s parents start making more money and the parents have to start immediately paying a Share of
Cost as a result, the child still receives Medi-Cal for free until their "Annual Redetermination."

What Are The Requirements?
1. Once a Year Eligibility Form
Individuals receiving Medi-Cal must have their eligibility rechecked (or “redetermined”) every 12 months. You get a
"redetermination packet" in the mail which you must fill out and send back. You do not have to send in copies of documents with your redetermination form.
2. Mid-Year Status Report For Adults

The resource limit does not apply to pregnant women for care related to their pregnancy, or to children under 19 in certain
Medi-Cal programs. For anyone else, your family’s resources must be below certain limits to get Medi-Cal:
Some assets do not count. The home you live in, furnishings, personal items, and some non-term life insurance policies don’t count. Other real estate may not count if you are not the only owner or are not able to sell it. For some Medi-Cal programs one car does not count, and for some programs a car is not counted if its value is under a specific amount.

What Is “Share of Cost”?
1. Who Pays Share of Cost
Some people must pay, or agree to pay, a “Share of Cost” for each month that they have a medical expense. Medi-Cal will then pay the rest of the bill for covered services that month.
You do NOT have to pay a Share of Cost if:
• You are in one of the groups that receive free Medi-Cal (such as those getting CalWORKs, SSI, foster care, adoption assistance, 1931(b) Medi-Cal, or the aged and disabled programs).
• Your countable income is below certain income limits.
If you have Medi-Cal with a Share of Cost, you begin each month with your Share of Cost limit. You don’t have to pay anything in months that you have no medical expense. You can use past medical bills and the medical bills of family members listed on your application to meet your Share of
Cost, including unpaid bills that they are trying to collect from you. You cannot count the same billed item or service twice, but you can carry the balance of an unpaid bill over to later months if a bill is for more than your Share of Cost. If your income goes down, notify your worker so your “Share of Cost” will go down.
2. Share of Cost: Children

Some adults recieving Medi-Cal must fill out the Mid-Year
Status Report (MSR) in order to keep Medi-Cal. Some groups of people do not have to fill our the MSR: a child under 21; the parent or guardian of a CalWORKS child; pregnant women who have reported their pregnancy to the county, people who are disabled or over 65, or someone in the Breast or Cervical
Cancer Program. The report should come about 5 months after you start getting Medi-Cal and must be returned to the
Medi-Cal office by the date on the form.
3. Reporting Changes for Adults
Adults must report to DHA any significant changes that may affect your eligibility within 10 days after the change. You must quickly report to your worker if you move, begin making more money (or less money), someone moves in or out of your house or you are pregnant. Even if you report a change that hurts your eligibility, you have important rights before the DHA cuts your Medi-Cal.
4. Losing Welfare Does Not Mean That You Lose MediCal
Leaving the CalWORKs program (for example because of a sanction, time-limit, or failure to comply with WTW rules) does not mean that you lose free Medi-Cal. If you lose your
Medi-Cal after you leave welfare, contact Legal Services at
(916) 551-2150 for help and advice.
5. Transitional Medi-Cal
You might be eligible for up to 1 year of free (no Share of Cost)
Medi-Cal (called transitional Medi-Cal or TMC) if you received
CalWORKs or what is called "Section 1931(b) Medi-Cal" during at least 3 of the last 6 months, and you lost CalWORKs or Section 1931(b) Medi-Cal because you started making too much money.
During the first six months of TMC, you and your family qualify for free Medi-Cal no matter how much income you have.
After that, you remain eligible for TMC if you received TMC for the entire six months; you are still living in California;you

The People’s Guide


remain employed; you have a child under 18 in the home; and you meet the income qualifications.
Eligible families can receive TMC for up to one year. There is no lifetime limit on TMC. If your income goes down you can qualify again for regular Medi-Cal. If it then goes up again you can return to TMC with new time limits.
There are no “resource” or property limits for TMC. TMC requires quarterly reports like a QR-7 for cash aid, but on a different form.
6. Four Month Continuing Medi-Cal
If you lose CalWORKs or Section 1931(b) because you start getting more child or spousal support, a family can get free
Continuing Medi-Cal, regardless of your income, but just for
4 months. It is important that you turn in an SAR-7 or any other change reporting form explaining why you are leaving
CalWORKs or Section 1931(b), to help make sure you get
Transitional or Continuing Medi-Cal. The children’s free Medi-Cal continues until their next scheduled annual redetermination.
7. Former Foster Children
If you were in Foster Care on or after your 18th birthday and you were "emancipated," you are automatically eligible for free Medi-Cal until you turn 21 even if your income goes up.
Chldren leaving foster care before their 18th birthday are not eligible for this program.
8. If You Get A Notice That Medi-Cal Will Be Cut Off
DHA must send you a written notice of action at least 10 days before it cuts off, denies, delays or reduces your MediCal benefits. The notice explains the reason for their action and your right to ask for a fair hearing. (See pg. 67 Hearings and Complaints).
When a change occurs affecting your Medi-Cal eligibility, DHA must determine whether you are eligible for any other type of Medi-Cal, before sending you a notice of action cutting off your benefits. They have to look in your available records, including CalWORKs, CalFresh and other records for any missing necessary information. DHA can send you a form that only asks for the information it needs; it cannot ask for information it already has or does not need to determine whether you are still eligible for Medi-Cal.
DHA must give you at least 30 days to complete the form. If you do not send in a completed form, DHA will send you a written notice of action that you will lose your Medi-Cal benefits.
If your form is incomplete, DHA must first try to contact you by telephone and writing to get missing information before it cuts your benefits. If you send in your form within 30 days of being cut from Medi-Cal, and that information shows you were still eligible, DHA must restore Medi-Cal benefits without making you reapply.
9. If You Move
You must report a move to the Medi-Cal worker right away.
You should have no break in service if you move within California. If you move to a new county, report to DHA and also to the welfare office in the new county, and the counties will manage the transferring of your case.


10. If You Were Billed Twice
The doctor or health service provider cannot bill both you and
Medi-Cal for the same care. If you think your doctor has billed you unfairly, you should contact Legal Services.
11. Lost or Stolen Cards
Notify your Medi-worker and a replacement card will be sent to you. If there is a medical emergency, you may receive a written notice of eligibility at your welfare office.

Health Plans in Medi-Cal

There are two ways to receive your medical care under MediCal in Sacramento County:
”Fee for service” (regular Medi-Cal), or Geographic Managed
Care (GMC) which gives services through private health plans.
Medi-Cal participants except for people on SSI and people in long term care must use GMC.
1. Fee for Service (Regular Medi-Cal)
In Fee for Service Medi-Cal you can use any doctor, clinic, hospital, pharmacy or other provider willing to accept MediCal. You must tell the doctor or clinic that you have Medi-Cal before you get care. If you don’t, the provider can legally bill you for all services that you get.
2. Geographic Managed Care
In Sacramento County, everyone except people in nursing homes or people who ask for and are given special permission must use “geographic managed care” (GMC) for their physical health issues.
When you join a GMC plan, you must see the doctors, pharmacists and hospitals that are part of your plan. You must select a GMC plan. Unless you have an emergency, you must get approval for all care from your GMC provider. The GMC will receive money each month for your health care even if you don’t get services. The GMC is responsible for providing or making arrangements for you to get all Medi-Cal covered services. 3.Dental Care
Due to severe budget cuts by the state, only children, pregnant women, and persons in long term care can get Medi-Cal coverage for dental services. See page 31 for Dental Clinics.
4. How to Choose a GMC Plan
When you first enroll in Medi-Cal you will get a packet in the mail. The packet will contain a form for you to choose a GMC
Plan. You will be able to choose one of five GMC Plans: Kaiser,
HealthNet, Molina and Blue Cross.
Fill it out the “choice form” and return it. It’s a good idea to send the form by certified mail. If you don’t complete the form and return it within 30 days, the state will choose a
GMC Plan for you.

The People’s Guide

5. Hearings, Grievances, and Leaving a GMC Plan


If your HMO denies services or you are not satisfied with the services, you have many options. You can file a grievance with your GMC Plan. Your HMO must tell you how to file a grievance. The GMC Plan must resolve your grievance within
30 days, or less if you have an emergency. If you are still not satisfied complain in writing to the Department of Managed
Health Care HMO Help Center, IMR Unit, 980 Ninth Street,
Suite 500, Sacramento, CA 95814-2725. Their phone number is (888) HMO-2219, TDD (877) 688-9891. You can also go to their website at

If you already get Medi-Cal through your parents’ case, you may already have a plastic Medi-Cal card. But don’t use the plastic card for Minor Consent services. You will be sent a temporary card to use instead.

You have the right to ask for a fair hearing to dispute anything the GMC Plan does. (see page 67, "Hearings and Complaints.")
While waiting for a state hearing, the GMC Plan must continue to provide medical services to you.
6. Mental Health Managed Care
Mental Health services for Medi-Cal recipients are also provided through a managed care system operated through “Local
Mental Health Plans” in each county. For further discussion of these services (see page 32 “Mental Health Services.”)

Medi-Cal for Teens
If you are between 12 and 21 years old and a citizen or legal resident, you can apply for “Minor Consent Services” to get free and confidential medical treatment without parental consent related to:
• Drug or alcohol abuse treatment or counseling (except methadone treatment)
• Sexually transmitted diseases
• Pregnancy and abortion
• Family planning
• Outpatient mental health (not overnight in a hospital)
• Sexual abuse
Your parents won’t be required to give information about their income or resources or pay toward the medical services, unless you want Medi-Cal for services other than those listed above. DHA won’t tell your parents or send Medi-Cal mailings to your home without your permission. These services can be used by minors even if they already have Medi-Cal or any other health program.
To apply, fill out the regular Medi-Cal application and another short form for Minor Consent Services at DHA or with a DHA
Eligibility Worker at the site where you are receiving care. You will have to fill out a new short form each month you need treatment, except for mental health services. For that, you need a letter from a mental health professional explaining that you meet certain conditions for getting mental health services and how long you will need treatment. You will still have to complete the short form each month to update your

The People’s Guide


Childrens’ Health Care
Targeted Low Income Children’s
1. Am I Eligible?
The Healthy Families Program has been eliminated and replaced with the Targeted Low-Income Children’s Program
(TLICP). To be eligible, the applicants must be uninsured
California resident children ages 0 to 19 who have had no other health insurance. Families must meet certain income requirements. The child must be without employer-based or private health insurance for at least three months before the application, with some exceptions. The child can obtain three months of retroactive
Medi-Cal prior to becoming eligible for TLICP, or can be on “Share of Cost” Medi-Cal. Eighteen-year-olds can apply on their own. The child stays eligible for 12 months continuously once it is decided that he or she is eligible, even if the income changes. The cost of the items you own (“resources”) does not count against you.
2. Residency Requirements
You must sign a statement that each person who is applying for
TLICP intends to stay in California with no plans to leave. Children who are U.S. citizens will be asked to provide a copy of their birth certificate. Immigrant children can be eligible if they are
“qualified” immigrants (see page 65 “Guide for Non Citizens.”)
3. What Does It Cost?
Depending on your income, you could pay monthly premiums ranging from $0 to $13 per child (no more than $39 per month). One child=$13/month, two children=$26/month, three children=$39/month (these amounts are subject to change). If you fall in the higher income group, you will receive a report in the middle of the year to see if your income has dropped, which would mean you would pay less.
Any time your income drops or increases you should report it to the local county the within 10 days at to see if you can pay less. Also, if you pay three months of premiums in advance, you will get a fourth month of coverage for free.
If you pay 9 months in advance, you get 12 months of coverage. Except for the first month, you can pay your premiums at some Western Union Convenience Pay locations.

4. What Are The Income Limits?
Your children qualify for TLICP if your monthly income is too high for Medi Cal but below other specific limits. 5. What Are the Benefits?
The program offers health, dental, mental health, and vision services.
6. How Do I Apply?
You may get an application form at any DHA Office, at many health clinics or call (916) 875-8600. If your child is found to be ineligible for TLICP at the annual redetermination (e.g. because your family income goes down) your child should be given temporary full-scope Medi-Cal while the information is sent to the county (with your permission) to determine if your child is eligible for regular no-cost Medi-Cal. This is called the “Presumptive Eligibility Program.”
You should not be required to apply separately for MediCal or to provide any information again, unless the county needs more information from you to determine eligibility.

Child Health & Disability Prevention
CHDP provides free early and regular health exams for many low-income children up to 19 years of age; Medi-Cal eligible children up to 21 years of age; and Head Start and State preschool children. There are no immigration requirements, however, visits are allowed based on a “periodicity schedule”, with some exceptions for physical exams needed for school, for children in foster care and for problems that might occur between screenings.
Children in Medi-Cal Managed Care can get more screenings than the state’s schedule allows. CHDP offers physical exams, immunizations, vision and hearing testing, lead poisoning testing, nutritional check, teeth and gum check, and some lab tests including sickle cell. For more information call (800) 993-2437.
The “CHDP Gateway To Health Insurance” program allows children who go to a CHDP provider for a health exam or well child check-up to pre-enroll in full, no-cost Medi-Cal temporarily if they agree to complete a simple confidential (electronic) application at the provider’s office. If your child qualifies for no-cost Medi-Cal after completing the simple application, your child will receive no-cost Medi-Cal temporarily, beginning on the first day of the month that the simple application is submitted and ending the last day of the following month.
Also, if you request it on the application, Medi-Cal for Families mail-in application will be sent to you automatically. If you apply for Medi-Cal for your child during the Medi-Cal


The People’s Guide

pre-enrollment period, the no cost Medi-Cal coverage will continue until a final Medi-Cal determination is made.
Infants under one year of age who are born to a mother who was recieving Medi-Cal at the time of birth are eligible for “Deemed Eligibility” to have full-scope Medi-Cal until their first birthday without filling out the additional
Medi-Cal application. Be sure to include the mother's name and Medi-Cal number on the CHDP Gateway application.

Children’s Medical Services
Children’s Medical Services (or California Children’s Services) case manages and provides health services for children up to age 21 with eligible major medical conditions caused by accidents, diseases, and congenital disabilities, whether or not the children also have Medi-Cal. Undocumented children may qualify. For eligibility information, call
(800)-288-4584. Service providers are all over the county.
Family income must meet income requirements, or may be greater than the requirements if their CCS-related medical expenses are expected to be more than 20% of the family's income.
Children enrolled in Healthy Families are eligible regardless of income, but must be referred and screened for acceptance.
There is no family income limit for children who need services to confirm a CCS-eligible medical condition; or were adopted with a known CCS-eligible medical condition; or are applying only for services through the
Medical Therapy Program; or are Medi-Cal beneficiaries, full scope, no share of cost; or are TLICP subscribers.

Free and Low Cost
Health Care
Can I Get Insurance If I’m Low
Income But Can’t Get Medi-Cal?
The County provides free or low-cost health services to people who can show proof that they live in Sacramento County, including low-income people who are not eligible for Medi-Cal or who have medical expenses that Medi-Cal, Medicare, and private insurance will not fully cover. This program is called the County Medically Indigent Services Program (CMISP). You may apply at the Primary Care Center at 4600 Broadway or call (916) 874-9670.
The Low-Income Health Program (LIHP) is a health care program designed to transition CMISP applicants to Medi-Cal in January 2014. Qualified individuals provide health care coverage to uninsured adults 19-64 without children. CMISP applicants will automatically be screened for LIHP, so there is no need to fill out a separate application. If you qualify for
LIHP, Molina Healthcare will send you information on your primare care medical home.
Molina Healthcare’s Free Neighborhood Shuttle provides transportation to medical clinics, shopping centers and the
Department of Human Assistance. For more information, call
(877) 665-4623.
Clinic Services: All recipients of General Assistance (GA) are automatically eligible for CMISP Clinic Services for one year.
Other persons who need to apply for CMISP may do so at the time they request medical services at the following clinics:
Primary Care Center
4600 Broadway
Sacramento, CA (916) 874-9670
Dental Services: Emergency dental services are provided by the Dental Clinic. GA recipients are automatically eligible for CMISP dental services. All other applicants may apply for
CMISP dental services at the time they request dental services at the following clinic or at (916) 874-8300:
For Triage & Walk-Ins: 4600 Broadway Suite 1400,
For AppointmentsOnly: 4600 Broadway, Suite 2100,
Emergencies: Ask the hospital receptionist if the services you are seeking may be provided through a contract between the hospital and the Sacramento County Medically Indigent
Services Program (CMISP).
If you are seen in an emergency room that contracts for outpatient services under the CMIS Program, you have the right to request an eligibility determination. The hospital will give you a referral form instructing you how to apply for CMISP.
A CMISP medical consultant will review the reason for your

The People’s Guide


emergency room visit. Only treatment of conditions, which would lead to disability or death if not immediately treated, will be approved for payment.
Information: The following 24 hour telephone information numbers are available:
Clinic Information Line:
(916) 874-8912
Dental Information Line:
(916) 874-8300
The following rules must be met to qualify for CMISP:
Residency: Must verify you have established residency in
Sacramento County by physical presence and intent to remain.
Resources: All available resources must be utilized. A CMISP applicant must apply for all financial resources that may be available. There are resource limits.
Resources that count include cash, checking or savings accounts, bonds, certificates of deposit (CD) and other forms of negotiable securities. One vehicle used for transportation is exempt. Life Insurance may be exempt if it does not exceed a certain level.
These resources don’t count: essential household equipment, furniture and personal and tools, supplies and equipment needed for rehabilitation maintenance and self-support.
Property used as the home is exempt. Other real property is limited to a net value and must meet the income producing rule.
Maintenance Need Limits
When your income is more than the limit, you will be required to pay or agree to pay the amount over the limit toward your medical expenses before the CMISP will pay.
For assistance in determining your eligibility for CMISP, call the Department of Human Assistance at (916) 874-9238.
Sacramento County says you must have a medical need to apply for CMISP. If you have a problem applying and need services, say that you want a “medical override.”

Low Cost Hospitals and Clinics

Primary Care Center
4600 Broadway
Sacramento, CA 95820
(916) 874-9670

(877) 222-8387 for information on a full range of medical benefits available to veterans, regardless of your income


Health for All:

V Street Clinic
923 V Street
Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 448-6553
Las Palmas Clinic
577 Las Palmas
Sacramento, CA 95815
(916) 924-6703
Meadowview Clinic
2118 Meadowview Road
Sacramento, CA 95832
(916) 427-0368


J Street Community Health Center
1820 J Street
Sacramento, 95811
(916) 737-5555
Oak Park Community Health Center
3415 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Sacramento, 95817
(916) 737-5555 South Valley Community Health Center
8233 E. Stockton Blvd., Suite D
Sacramento, CA 95828
(916) 737-5555 North Highlands Multi Services Center
6015 Walt Ave., Suite 2
North Highlands, CA 95660
(916) 737-5555

Dignity Clinics:

2. Veterans

The Birthing Project
1900 T Street

Guest House Homeless Clinic
1400 North A Street, Bldg. A
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 440-1500

Rancho Cordova Community Health Center
10423 Old Placerville Road
Rancho Cordova, 95827
(916) 569-8600

1. County Hospitals and Clinics

3. Sacramento Free/Low Cost Clinics

Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 558-4800 C.O.R.E. (Comprehensive Opiate Recovery Experience)
Medical Clinic
2100 Capitol Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95816
(916) 442-4985

Mercy Clinic Norwood
3911 Norwood Avenue
Sacramento, 95838
(916) 929-8575 Mercy North Highlands
6060 Watt Avenue
North Highlands, 95660
(916) 349-1568
Folsom Family Clinic

The People’s Guide

105 Dean Way
Folsom, 95630
(916) 983-3658
White Rock Family Clinic
10495 White Rock Road
Rancho Cordova, 95670
(916) 364-0724

Midtown Medical Center:
Midtown Sacramento
3701 J Street #201
Sacramento, 95816
(916) 454-2345 West Sacramento
155 15th Street
W. Sacramento, 95691
(916) 375-8981

Planned Parenthood Mar Monte:
B Street Health Center
201 29th Street, Suite B
Sacramento, 95816
(916) 446-6921

Women’s Health Specialists
1750 Wright Street
Sacramento, CA 95825
(916) 451-0621


WellSpace Health Oak Park Dental Center
3415 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Sacramento, 95822
(916) 737-5555
WellSpace Health Rancho Cordova Dental Center
10423 Old Placerville Road
Rancho Cordova, 95827
(916) 569-8600
WellSpace Health North Highlands Dental Center
6015 Watt Ave., Suite 2
North Highlands, 95660
(916) 737-5555
WellSpace Health South Valley Dental Center
8233 E. Stockton Blvd., Suite D
Sacramento, 95823
(916) 737-5555

Capitol Plaza Center
1125 10th Street
Sacramento, 95814
(916) 444-7966

Primary Care Center Dental Clinic
4600 Broadway, Room 2100
Sacramento, CA 95820
(916) 874-8300

Fruitridge Center
5385 Franklin, Suite A-D
Sacramento, 95820
(916) 454-2345

Sacramento Community Clinic - Southgate
7275 E. Southgate Drive, Suites 204 & 206
Sacramento, 95823
(916) 924-7988

North Highlands Center
5700 Watt Ave.
North Highlands, 95660
(916) 454-2345

Sacramento Community Clinic - Del Paso
2200 Del Paso Blvd.
Sacramento, 95815
(916) 924-7988

Sacramento Community Clinics:

Sacramento Native American Health Center
2020 J Street
Sacramento, 95814
(916) 341-0575

South Sacramento
7275 E. Southgate Drive
Sacramento, 95823
(916) 428-3788

North Sacramento
2200 Del Paso Blvd
Sacramento, 95815
(916) 924-7988 Sacramento Native American Health Center
2020 J Street
Sacramento, 95814
(916) 341-0575

Sacramento Community Clinic - Assembly Court
5524 Assembly Court
Sacramento, 95823
(916) 642-1867

Eye Care and Hearing:

Sacramento Community Clinic - Del Paso
North Sacramento
2200 Del Paso Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95815
(916) 924-7988
Sacramento Community Clinic - Southgate
7275 E. Southgate Drive
Sacramento, 95823
(916) 428-3788
Sacramento Community Clinic - Assembly Court
5524 Assembly Court
Sacramento, 95823
(916) 642-1867

The People’s Guide


Mental Health and
Developmental Services
Mental Health Services

Developmental Services

(916) 875-1000; CA Relay Service at 711; or go directly to the Sacramento County Mental Health Treatment Center at
2150 Stockton Blvd, Sacramento.
Sacramento County’s Mental Health 24-hour Crisis
Intervention: (916) 732-3637
Adult Access Team: (916) 875-1055 TTY/TDD: (916) 874-8070
Children's Access Team: (916) 875-9980
T TY/TDD: (916) 876-8892
WellSpace Health: (916) 737-5555
Suicide Crisis Line: (916) 368-3111 or (800) 273-8255

The California Department of Developmental Services is the agency through which the State of California provides services and supports to individuals with developmental disabilities.
These disabilities include mental retardation, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism and related conditions. Services are provided through state-operated developmental centers and community facilities, and contracts with 21 nonprofit regional centers.
The regional centers serve as a local resource to help find and access the services and supports available to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families.
Alta California Regional Center
135 Butano Drive
Sacramento, CA 95815
(916) 978-6400
TDD: (916) 489-4241 (916) 978-6286

In Home Care and Long Term Care
In Home Supportive Services

a caregiver, or a referral may be selected through the IHSS
Registry. Once a caregiver is selected, the client acts as the employer and is responsible for supervision and signing time sheets. IHSS will arrange for payment.

In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) serves aged, blind, or disabled persons who are unable to perform activities of daily living and cannot remain safely in their own homes without help. Through IHSS, qualified recipients may receive assistance with daily tasks, such as:
• bathing
• dressing
• cooking
• cleaning
• grooming
• feeding
To be eligible for IHSS services, a person must receive SSI or meet income and resource guidelines. In addition, the individual must be either:
• 65 years or older
• blind
• permanently disabled, or
• a disabled child requiring extraordinary care
Anyone who recognizes that a person is in need of in-home assistance may refer a client to IHSS. Once a referral is received, a social worker assigned to the case conducts an assessment to determine the applicant’s need. The determination will take into consideration the applicant’s medical condition, living arrangement, and resources that may already be available.
Once eligibility has been established, IHSS can assist a client with locating a caregiver. A friend or relative may serve as


Working together, IHSS and the caregiver ensure that each client is able to remain in familiar surroundings – safely, comfortably and with as much independence as possible.
Contact the Sacramento County Department of Health and Human Services, Senior and Adult Services at
(916) 874-9471 for more information. Insist on filing an application if they say you are not eligible.

Long Term Care
If you are caring for someone that a doctor has recommended for 24-hour care by skilled nurses for a long period of time, you may contact the State Central Registry to obtain referrals to long term care facilities.
(800) 777-7575 There is a difference between board and care facilities and nursing facilities. Medi-Cal will pay for long term care in a nursing facility but not in a board and care home. Before you send someone to any kind of long term care facility, you should visit the places and inspect them thoroughly. If you are not happy with the referrals you can call again for more.

The People’s Guide

Mental Health Facilities, Sacramento Area
TP Pathways

El Hogar Residential
Support Team

El Hogar Guest House Clinic

CA Dep’t of Rehabilitation

Catholic Social Services

Mental Health Counseling Center

El Hogar Sierra Elder Wellness Program

Adult Psychiatric Support

Turning Point Crisis Residental Program

Mental Health Treatment
Major Highways
Major Roads

Bodies of Water

Adult Psychiatric Support Services
4875 Broadway, Sacramento
(916) 875-0599

Human Resources Consultants
2220 Watt Ave # B, Sacramento
(916) 485-6500

Catholic Social Service
5890 Newman Court, Sacramento
(916) 452-1218

Rehabilitation Department
721 Capitol Mall, Sacramento
(916) 324-1313

County of Sacramento: Mental Health
2150 Stockton Boulevard, Sacramento
(916) 875-1000

WellSpace South Valley: Community
Health Center
8233 E Stockton Blvd., Suite D, Sacramento
(916) 368-3080

El Hogar Mental Health Clinic
608 10th Street, Sacramento
(916) 441-3819

‎Turning Point Pathways
1400 A Street, Sacramento
(916) 440-1500

El Hogar Sierra Elder Wellness
9261 Folsom Blvd # 500, Sacramento
(916) 363-1553

Turning Point Crisis Residential
4801 34th Street, Sacramento
(916) 737-9202
Loaves & Fishes - Genesis Program
3121 N. C Street, Sacramento 95811
(916) 669-1536

The People’s Guide


Drug and Alcohol Treatment
Sacramento County Alcohol and Drug System of
Sacramento County offers treatment and recovery services for alcohol and drug abuse. Services are contracted through community service providers , and include outpatient treatment, methadone treatment, day treatement detoxification, residential services and pernatal services.
You must qualify for these services by undergoing a preliminary asseessment comprised of morning and afternoon sessions. Information about the Alcohol and Drug System of Care can be found below.
8:00 a.m. - 5 p.m.
3321 Power Inn Road, Suite 120
Sacramento, 95826
(916) 874-9754

Hope Clinic @Emergency Housing Center
4516 Parker Avenue, Sacramento,
(916) 455-2160
John H Jones Community Clinic
500 Jefferson Blvd., Suite B195, West Sacramento
(916) 403-2970
MedMark Treatment Center
7240 E Southgate Dr., Suite G, Sacramento
(916) 391-4293
Mercy Clinic Loaves & Fishes
1321 N C St., Suite 22, Sacramento
(916) 446-3345
Mi Casa Recovery Home
2515 48th Avenue, Sacramento
(916) 394-2328

Morning Assessments: Arrive by 8:00 a.m.
Afternoon Assessments: Arrive by 1:00 p.m.
You may qualify for treatment and recovery services through one of the following programs:

Options for Recovery V.O.A. Residential Treatment
1001 Grand Avenue, Sacramento
(916) 929-1951

Community Treatment Services
Court Related Programs
Integrated Services
Options for Recovery
Pre-treatment Services
Prevention Services

Sacramento County Health Center
4600 Broadway, Suite 1100, Sacramento
(916) 875-5701

The cost of these services is determined by program requirements, public insurance coverage, and your ability to contribute. A staff member will determine your eligibility.

Salvation Army
315 16th Street, Sacramento
(916) 441-5267

Alpha Oaks Residence Women’s
8400 Fair Oaks Blvd, Carmichael,
(916) 944-3920

WellSpace South Valley Community Health Center
8233 E Stockton Blvd Suite D, Sacramento
(916) 368-3080

Alternative House Residential Treatment
1550 Juliesse Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95815-1803
(916) 921-6598

VOA Inebriate Center
7586 Stockton Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95823-3923
(916) 405-4600

Bi-Valley Medical Clinics Inc.
#1. 310 Harris Ave # A, Sacramento,
(916) 649-6793
#2. Bi-Valley medical Clinic (C.O.R.E.‎)
2100 Capitol Avenue Sacramento
(916) 442-4985
Clean & Sober Detox
8946 Madison Avenue, Fair Oaks
(916) 965-3386


Sacramento Veterans Resource
7270 East Southgate Drive, Sacramento
(916) 393-8387

Strategies for Change
#1. 4441 Auburn Blvd., Suite E, Sacramento
(916) 473-5764
#2. 4343 Williamsbourgh Drive, Sacramento
(916) 395-3683
Bridges, Inc.
3600 Power Inn Rd., Suite C, Sacramento
(916) 450-0700

The People’s Guide

Medicare is a federal health insurance program. There are three parts to the program: “Part A” (hospital insurance),
“Part B” (medical insurance), and “Part D “ (prescription drug insurance). The general information number is
(800) 633 4227. The premiums in this section are for accurate for 2013.
1. Part A : Hospital Insurance
You are automatically eligible for Medicare Part A free of charge if you are one of the following:

You are 65 or older and are eligible for Social Security retiree benefits based on your own or your spouse’s employment •
You are a federal employee who retired after 1982 and have enough quarters of coverage
• You have been receiving Social Security Disability Income payments for 24 consecutive months

You are age 50 or older and are a disabled widow or widower who has received Social Security through your spouse for at least 2 years

You have end-stage kidney disease, or you have Lou
Gehrig's disease (in either case, you still must have worked enough quarters, however, even though you don’t need to be 65)
People who are not automatically eligible for Medicare Part
A may enroll voluntarily if you meet all of the following three requirements:

You are 65 or older and

You are a U.S. citizen, or a legal alien who has resided in the U.S. continuously for at least five years and

You purchase both Parts A and B of Medicare, or you purchase Part B only. You may not purchase Part A only.
If you meet these three requirements for voluntary Part
A, your monthly premium depends on your work history.

to 90, you pay $296 per day and Medicare pays the balance. If you need hospital care after the 90th day you pay
$592 each day and Medicare pays the balance, for up to 60 extra days. These amounts may be subject to change.
4. Skilled Nursing and Hospice Services
After a three day prior hospitalization, Medicare pays for daily (five to seven days per week) skilled nursing and therapy services in a Medicare certified skilled nursing facility for persons who are terminall ill. Medicare pays for the first 20 days in full and days 21-100 on a copayment basis.
Medicare pays for skilled nursing and therapy services in the home if you are homebound and meet other requirements. There are no copayments for home health services.
5. Part B Coverage
Part B pays 80% of “allowable” charges for a variety of outpatient care,medical equipment, and ambulance services.
You pay the remaining 20%, an annual deductible and a 20% excess charge if the provider does not take " Medicare assignment." Ask your provider if he or she will accept assignment.
6. Part D Coverage
Part D pays for outpatient drug coverage. To obtain Part D coverage, you must enroll into a Medicare Part D drug plan. Not all Part D plans are the same. Each plan has its own drug formulary, cost sharing requirements and restrictions on coverage.
If you have questions, call Legal Services at (916) 551-2150.
7. Medicare Advantage HMOs
A Medicare Advantage HMO is a health plan that enrolls people who have both Medicare Parts A and B. Generally, persons who have end stage renal disease (kidney failure) cannot enroll into a Medicare HMO. If you join a Medicare HMO, you must use the HMO for all of your medical care, except for urgent care when you are out of the HMO’s service area.

2. Part B : Medical Insurance

8. Other Information

If you meet the eligibility guidelines for Part A, you will be eligible for Part B. The premium is higher for those with higher incomes .
If you have a low income and low resources, the state may pay for your Medicare premiums under Medi-Cal or the
Medicare Savings Program.

Many people receive both Medicare and Medi-Cal.
People who have both programs do not usually have to pay Medicare’s monthly premiums, deductibles, or copayments. If you have both, only see health care providers that take Medicare and Medi-Cal. Show your insurance cards before you receive services.
• Always carry your Medicare card with you
• Contact the Social Security office immediately if you lose your card or don’t get one
• Appeal any incorrect or unfair decision about your Medicare benefits
• For help with Medicare: (800) 434-0222.

Medicare does not cover all types of health care needs, nor is it free of cost. It does NOT cover custodial care in a nursing home or at home, dental care, eyeglasses, and hearing aids. For the services that are covered by Medicare, you have to pay co-payments.
3. Part A Coverage
Medicare will pay for hospital care if a doctor has decided that you need inpatient care and the hospital participates in
Medicare. You will pay a hospital deductible for the first 60 days in a hospital. If you remain in the hospital for days 61

The People’s Guide


Jobs and Training
What is Job Talk?
If you receive CalWORKs or General
Relief, DHA Employment Services-Job
Talk can help you increase your income
(secure employment).
Workforce Coordinators will be available to provide referrals to current job openings, job search information, access to
E.D.D. CalJOBS, access to employment resources and one-on-one job search assistance. Additionally, employers with current job openings are scheduled to present at Job Talk Sessions.
You should attend if you are job ready and can arrange childcare/ transportation to and from work
Bring your master application or resume
(if available) to any of the following Job
Talk sessions in Sacramento:
**Due to space limitations, children are not admitted**

FRANKLIN 7000 Franklin Blvd, Suite
540, Sacramento, 95823
(916) 262-3200

Where Can I Get

GALT 1000 C Street, Suite 100 Galt,
(209) 744-7702

Many organizations in Sacramento
County offer help in job training. Beware of private employment agencies that charge you fees for finding a job. Many give low quality training at high tuition, and encourage you to pay the tuition with expensive student loans that can ruin your credit. Use free or low cost services instead.
1. One-Stop Career Centers
One-Stop Career Centers are located at different places across the city and county and provide computers, faxes, copiers, and job listings to help you look for work.
The law requires that they also provide you with career counseling, money for transportation and childcare, as well as possibly paying for quality job training that leads to a job. Call Legal Aid (see
"Good Advice", pg. 70) if you have any troubles getting these services.


Sacramento County: The Sacramento
Employment & Training Agency operates the One-Stop Career Centers. To find the one nearest you:

10:00 A.M. 10013 Folsom Blvd., #1

• Call (916) 263-3800

2:00 P.M. 4433 Florin Rd., #160

• America’s Service Locator 1:00 P.M. 4990 Stockton Blvd.
1:30 P.M. 2700 Fulton Avenue

9:30 P.M. 5747 Watt Avenue
10:00 A.M. 2450 Florin Rd.
1:00 P.M. 3960 Research Dr.
10:00 A.M. 5655 Hillsdale Blvd.
To learn more about DHA Employment
Services-Job Talk, go to: • and find your zip code
One Stop Career Centers are listed below. Services are available in various languages and they can help homeless people (you may have to bring an ID or use a shelter as an address if homeless.)
Most will require you to attend an orientation class. The ones marked with an
[*] participate in the CA New Start
Program, an employment readiness program for state parolees.
BROADWAY*915 Broadway Sacramento, CA 95818 (916) 324-6202
CITRUS HEIGHTS 7011 Sylvan Rd,
Suite A Citrus Heights, CA 95610
(916) 676-2540


The People’s Guide

URBAN LEAGUE *3725 Marysville
Blvd. Sacramento, CA 95838
(916) 286-8623
HILLSDALE 5655 Hillsdale Blvd, Suite
8 , Sacramento, 95842
(916) 263-4100
LA FAMILIA 5523 34th Street
Sacramento, CA 95820
(916) 452-3601
LEMON HILL *5451 Lemon Hill Ave
Sacramento, CA 95824
(916) 433-2620
MARK SANDERS *2901 50th StreetSacramento, CA 95817
(916) 227-0301
RANCHO CORDOVA 10381 Old Placerville Road, Suite 150, Sacramento
(916) 255-3255
SOUTH COUNTY *8401-A Gerber
Road, Sacramento, 95828
(916) 525-4717
Sacramento Employment and
Training Agency (Administrative
Office, not a service location) 925 Del
Paso Blvd., Sacramento, 95815
(916) 263-3800 Center for Employment Training
6853 65th St. Sacramento, CA 95828
(916) 393-7401
Galt Joint Union HS. District 150
Camellia Way Galt, CA 95632
(209) 744 5455 Sacramento City USD
451 Lemon Hill Ave., Sacramento, CA
95824 (916) 433-2630 Goodwill Industries
6648 Franklin Blvd., Sacramento, CA
(916) 395-9000 Golden Sierra Workforce Investment Board (Other
Counties: Alpine, El Dorado, Placer) 1919 Grass Valley Hwy., Ste. 100
Auburn, 95603
(530) 823-4635

Community Colleges and Adult
Community Colleges and adult schools can help you with job and career training as well as basic education you need to help get a job. You can find information about community colleges in the Sacramento area at this website: You can get information about colleges all over California at: For information about adult schools:
Below are some adult schools in the Sacramento area. Call each school for its registration information:
Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center
5451 Lemon Hill Avenue, Sacramento, 95824
(916) 433-2600 ext. 1000
Florin Technology Education Center 2401 Florin Road,
Sacramento, 95822
(916) 433-2844
Fremont School For Adults 2420 N Street, Sacramento
95816 (916) 277-6620
A. Warren McClaskey Adult Center 5241 J Street, Sacramento 95819 (916) 277-6625
Old Marshall Adult School at Sacramento High School
2315 34th Street, Sacramento 95817
(916) 277-6211

Elk Grove Adult and Community Education 8401-B Gerber
Road, Sacramento 95828
(916) 686-7717
South County Career Center 8401-A Gerber Road, Sacramento 95828 (916) 525-471
Folsom Cordova Adult Education 10850 Gadsten Way,
Rancho Cordova 95670 (916) 638-7630 Lemon Hill Career Center 5451 Lemon Hill Ave.,
Sacramento 95824
(916) 433-2600 Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services has an Adult Education program providing one on one and group instruction in writing, math, computer skills, job seerch, resume building, and
English. For more information, call (916) 456-1980.

Is There Help To Get a Job
If I Have A Disability?
The Department of Rehabilitation offers many services free to help those with disabilities to get work and live independently, including vocational counseling and training; job placement; medical treatment; support for tuition and books; necessary tools; car modifications; money for transportation; reader and interpreter services: and services for family members (such as driving lessons or counseling).
Call the Department of Rehabilitation Sacramento office
(916) 558-5300 and ask for office closest to you.

What Help Is There for Ex-Offenders?

Orange Grove Adult School 4640 Orange Grove Ave.,
Sacramento, 95841
(916) 971-7399
Sunrise Tech Center 7322 Sunrise Blvd., Citrus Heights
95610 (916) 971-7654
Winterstein Adult Center 900 Morse Ave., Sacramento
(916) 971-7414
Twin Rivers Adult Schools: Winona Center 3222 Winona
Way, North Highlands, 95660
Las Palmas Center 577 Las Palmas Avenue, Sacramento,
(916) 286-7526
Grand Avenue Center 1333 Grand Avenue, Sacramento
95838 (916) 286-3836
Allied Health 5201 Arnold Ave, McClellan 95652
(916) 286-5181
Rio Linda Senior High School 6309 Dry Creek Road, Rio
Linda 95673 (916) 286-3836
Aero Haven Center 5450 Georgia Drive,
North Highlands 95660
(916) 566-2735

Community Connection Resource Center
1217 Del Paso Blvd., Sacramento 95815
(916) 568-5980
• Pre-release services. Get a head start on building your work skills and obtaining the necessary documentation to start your job search before you are released.
• Basic skill development. Prepare for your GED, and take
ESL classes or basic education classes.
• Employment readiness training. Learn “soft skills” that help you succeed at work, including interviewing and workplace communication skills.
• Occupational skill training. Learn a skill or trade that can get you back to work, or help you move on to a better job.
• Job placement assistance. Open doors to employment opportunities with the help of Goodwill employment specialists.
• Life Skills. Learn new skills that help you round out your life, such as parenting, relationship and communication skills. The People’s Guide


Urban League

Greater Sacramento

Asian Resources, Inc.

Mark Sanders One-Stop

and Training Agency

Sacramento Employment

Broadway One-Stop

La Familia
Counseling Center

Center for Employment Training

Sacramento City USD
Goodwill Industries
Franklin One-Stop

Hillsdale One-Stop

South County One-Stop

Rancho Cordova One-Stop

Employment Centers
Major Highways
Major Roads
Bodies of Water

Where to Get Employment Training in Sacramento*

*This is not a complete list but will give you an idea of where you can get help around the area

The People’s Guide


Worker’s Rights and Unemployment
Can I Get Unemployment Benefits?
1. Filing For Unemployment
When you are unemployed, or working less than full time, and are ready, willing, and able to work, you may be eligible to receive unemployment insurance (UI) benefits. You can apply on line at: (800) 300-5616
Before you can get paid unemployment benefits, you must:
• Have received enough wages during the base period to establish a claim.
• Be totally or partially unemployed through no fault of your own (laid off, not fired for “misconduct” or having not quit without a good reason).
• Be physically able to work and actively looking for work.
• If you are attending an approved training course you are not required to look for work, be available for work or accept work while in training).
The minimum weekly benefit amount is $40 and the maximum weekly benefit amount is $450. The normal maximum benefit period is 26 weeks. You can request extensions of benefits up to a total of 99 weeks.
After you apply, you must complete a Continued Claim Certification form, DE 4581 and mail it to EDD every two weeks.
If you qualify you begin recieving payments.
Attached to the check is a form for the next two weeks. If the state thinks you did not meet eligibility requirements, they will schedule a telephone interview. Then they can reduce or deny the check. If you disagree you may ask for a hearing.
Also the past employer sometimes has a right to disagree with whether you are eligible and to ask for a hearing to oppose you getting a check.

If you appeal, keep filing your forms with EDD every week!
Besides unemployment benefits, the EDD (State Employment
Development Department) offers the following:
California Training Benefits (CTB) allows qualified persons to receive unemployment benefits while in approved training. Trade Adjustment Assistance Benefits if workers and their industry demonstrate damage because of imports and trade agreements.
Paid Family Leave for a worker to get up to six weeks of benefits for workers to take time off to be with a newborn or care for to care for a seriously ill child, spouse, parent, or registered domestic partner.

Where Can I Get Help For Problems on the Job?
If you have a problem at work and are a member of a union, contact your union representative. He or she can advise you about dealing with your employer or about contacting the correct government office.
Wage Claims: You can file a wage claim with the Labor Commissioner for any amount (or in Small Claims Court for up to
$7,500) if your employer does any of the following:
• Pays less than the current minimum wage. There are exceptions, including minors.
• Does not pay overtime. Overtime means time-and-a-half if you work more than 40 hours in a week OR more than 8 hours a day OR on the 7th day in a row. Overtime means double-time if you work more than 12 hours in a day OR more

At the hearing, an impartial administrative law judge will listen to the evidence and decide whether you should get a check. About half of the people who go to a hearing win in the hearing.
2. Appeal Your Denial
Just because you are fired, even for a good reason, does not mean that you should not get UI benefits. If EDD says that you are not eligible for UI benefits, you can appeal it. To show that your actions were not misconduct, you can argue that you made a mistake, simply could not do the job, or that the action was an isolated occurrence. Also if you can show you had a good reason to quit a job you can get benefits. Call
Legal Services for help at (916) 551-2150.

The People’s Guide


than 8 hours, the 7th day of a work in a row.
• Takes improper deductions from your pay.
• Does not give you your last paycheck immediately upon discharge or within 72 hours if you quit and don’t give 3 days notice. • After you lose your job, does not pay vacation time you were promised and have earned.

Employers are required to provide safe, healthy work areas. If you are asked to work under unsafe or unhealthy conditions, a state agency will investigate your complaint, and your employer may be fined for violating the law. Contact the California Occupational Health and Safety Administration
(Cal/OSHA) office nearest your work. The offices are listed in the State Government section in the front of the phone book white pages or at

• Does not pay wages owed or pays you with a check that bounces. What If I Get Injured and Can’t Work?

• Does not give you at least 10 minutes rest break for every
4 hours work and/or a meal break of at least a half hour, which can be unpaid, if you work at least a 5 hour shift. You can get penalty money if you don’t get the breaks.

1. State Disability Insurance

The law also gives you waiting time penalties. These penalties can be up to 30 days’ pay for each day after termination you have to wait to receive all wages owed to you. Wages include regular pay, overtime, vacation pay, and penalties for not getting rest or meal breaks.

If you cannot work for a temporary period because of an illness or injury that is not work related, or pregnancy, you may be able to get state disability insurance benefits (SDI). These benefits can last up to one year (39 weeks for employers and self-employed people who elected SDI coverage).

To reach the Labor Commissioner’s office, contact the
State Industrial Relations Department, Labor Standards Enforcement, 2031 Howe Ave, Suite 100, Sacramento, 95825
(916) 620-6330.

You must be unable to do your regular or customary normal work for at least eight consecutive days. You must have lost wages because of your disability or, if unemployed, have been actively looking for work. You must be under the care and treatment of a doctor during the first eight days of your disability, and to continue receiving benefits.

The Federal Department of Labor has an office that also helps people with similar problems. Its services are more limited. However, you can file an anonymous complaint with them to avoid retaliation by your employer.
Contact the Department of Labor Sacramento office at 800
Capitol Mall, Sacramento or (916) 654-8178. This number and address is for the Department of Veterans’ Employment and Training within the Department of Labor.
It is illegal to discriminate against workers because of their race, sex, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, political affiliation, or sexual orientation. It is also illegal to require sexual favors from an employee (sexual harassment).
If you believe you have been discriminated against, you can file a complaint at the Federal Equal Employment
Opportunity Commission (EEOC) in person or by mail to the San Francisco office, 350 The Embarcadero Suite 500,
San Francisco, 94105. You may also reach the EEOC at (800)
669-4000. Visit for more information.
They will investigate your complaint and may be able to help solve your problem. If your case requires court action, you will be given a letter authorizing you to file a lawsuit.
You can also call the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing Department (DFEH)
(800) 884-1684 for discrimination and sexual harassment claims. DFEH accepts complaints for the same reasons as the
EEOC. DFEH also accepts discrimination complaints based on sexual orientation, whether you have children, marital status and your source of income (for example whether you get welfare).


You must complete and mail a “Claim Statement of Employee” within 49 days of the date you became disabled. If your disability prevents you from completing the claim form, or you are filing for benefits on behalf of a disabled or dead claimant, call (800) 480-3287 for required forms and help.
Your must also ask if your doctor needs to complete and sign the “Doctor’s Certificate”. If your doctor will mail your completed claim to SDI, provide give him/her with an envelope addressed to the SDI office listed below. Mail your claim no earlier than 9 days,but no later than 49 days after the first day you became disabled. Mail the completed, signed “Claim
Statement of Employee” together with the completed, signed
“Doctor’s Certificate” to:
State Disability Insurance, P.O. Box 201006, Stockton, CA
95201-9006. You can request a claim form online at Claim_Form.htm or call (800) 480-3287.
You may not be eligible for SDI benefits if you:
• Are claiming or receiving asking for or getting Unemployment Insurance.
• Are receiving workers’ compensation benefits at a weekly rate equal to or greater than the amount of SDI you would get.
• Are in jail, prison, or recovery home because you were convicted of a crime.
• Don’t have an independent medical examination when asked to do so.

The People’s Guide

You have the right to appeal any denial, disqualification, overpayment, or penalty. Specific instructions Information on how to appeal will be provided on the state forms you receive. If you file an appeal and you remain disabled, you must continue to complete and return continued claim certifications.
For residents in a state-approved alcoholic recovery home or drug-free residential facility, the maximum payable period is
90 days. However, you can get SDI if your disability is related to or caused by acute or chronic alcoholism or drug abuse which you are being medically treated for.
When your claim is received, the SDI office will notify you of your weekly benefit amount and ask for any additional information needed to determine your eligibility. If you meet all requirements, a check will be mailed to you from a central payment center. If you are eligible for further benefits, either additional payments will be sent automatically or a continued claim certification form for the next two weeks will be sent with the check. You must report income you receive, even though sometimes it does not reduce your SDI check.
Coordination with Workers’ Compensation
If you also have a Workers’ Compensation claim and the insurance carrier delays or refuses payments, SDI may pay you benefits while your case is pending. However, SDI will pay benefits only for the period you are disabled and will file a lien to recover benefits paid.
SDI and Workers’ Compensation are two separate programs.
You cannot legally be paid full benefits from both programs for the same period.
However, if your Workers’ Compensation benefit rate is less than your SDI rate, SDI may pay you the difference between the two rates.
Long-term or Permanent Disability: If you expect your disability to be long-term or permanent, lasting for more than one year, apply for SSDI and/or SSI from Social Security well before your year of SDI is over (see page 57 for Social
Security Programs).
2. Workers’ Compensation
If you are disabled because of a work injury or as a result of unhealthy, unsafe, or stressful conditions at work, you should apply for Workers’ Compensation. Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system, meaning that injured employees need not prove the injury was someone else’s fault. There are six basic types of workers’ compensation benefits:

total disability you receive disability benefits each week for life.
d. Permanent Partial Disability: The “percentage of disability” is based on a medical evaluation. You receive weekly benefits for a period that increases with the percentage of disability, from 4 weeks for a 1% permanent disability up to 694 weeks for a 99% disability. Those with a permanent partial disability of 70% or more also receive a small life pension following the final payment of permanent partial disability benefits.
e. Vocational rehabilitation services: These services are for when you are unable to return to your former type of work after the job injury. You are entitled to these services if they can reasonably be expected to return you to suitable gainful employment. The amount you receive will be less than
Temporary Disability Benefits.
f. Death benefits: If a worker is fatally injured, the employer pays burial expenses up to $5,000 and support payments for dependents. This amount may be subject to change.
Filing a Workers’ Compensation claim: If you need help filing a claim or if your employer does not have this insurance, contact: (916) 928-3101 or (800) 736-7401.
For problems with worker comp claims:
160 Promenade Circle, Suite 300
Sacramento, 95834
Disability Evaluation Unit

(916) 928-3150

Information & Assistance Unit

(916) 928-3158

Retraining and Return to Work Unit (510) 286-6990
Injured worker workshop: Held the first Tuesday of every month at 10:30 a.m.
You may also want to hire a private attorney to help you with your claim. Many lawyers will handle this type of case even if you cannot afford to pay in advance because their fees for
Workers’ Compensation cases are set by law and are paid by the insurance company. If you are permanently disabled and do not expect to return to work, you may also qualify for
Social Security or SSI.

a. Medical Benefits: The employer pays for the medical care resulting from the work-related injury.
b. Temporary Disability Benefits: These are paid every two weeks if you are unable to return to work within three days or are hospitalized overnight. The benefits are intended to partially replace two-thirds of the wages lost as a result of the injury, up to a maximum of $840 per week (this may be subject to change). For most injuries, payment will not last more than 104 weeks.
c. Permanent Total Disability: If you have a permanent

The People’s Guide


Tax Credits
1. Earned Income Credit (EIC)

to fill out a W-5 form.

“The Earned Income Credit” (EIC) is a check that low-income working people can get from the government by filing a federal income tax return or filling out a W-5 form during the year, even if your income is so low that you do not owe federal taxes. You need a valid social security number to get this money.

2. Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

Yearly income qualifications for earned income credit can be found at,-Maximum-Credit--Amounts-and-Tax-LawUpdates. Note the higher income limits for married people.
If you are receiving CalWORKs, the Welfare Office cannot count this payment as part of your income if you spend the money in the month received or the month after. For the General
Assistance program, this money does count as income.

Families who pay for child or dependent care in order to work or look for work may be eligible for money or reduced taxes from both the federal and state governments. The dependent can be a child under the age of 13 or a dependent of any age who is unable to care for him or herself, including a disabled spouse.
Parents will receive up to 35% of child care expenses, with certain limits. The amount you get is generally higher if your expenses are higher.

You can also file for “retroactive” payments from the past three years. If you do not owe taxes, there is no penalty for filing for the credit late (after April 15th).

For both the federal and state credits, you must have a social security number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification
Number (ITIN). You must have income from work and must provide the social security number of the child or dependent that is receiving care, and the name, address, taxpayer identification or social security number for the person or agency providing the care.

You can claim EIC on the tax form (1040 or 1040A) or you can fill out just the first side of “Schedule EIC” instead and the IRS will figure it out for you. However, you may not use the 1040EZ form (the shortest form) to claim your EIC.

The state credit is limited to families that meet income requirements. These can be found at individuals/faq/ivr/103.shtml. There is no income limit for the federal credit.

For help getting the credit you can call the EIC hotline at
(800) 601-5552. To get a 1040 or 1040A form for this year and past years, and to receive free tax assistance, call the IRS at (800) 829-3676 and ask for VITA-Volunteer Income Tax
Assistance. Forms are also available in libraries, post offices and other public places.

3. Renter's Tax Credit

If you choose, you can receive this payment spread out during the year in lower payroll tax deductions instead of getting it all at once at the end of the year. To do this, ask your employer


The Renter’s Tax Credit is not a payment that you can receive, but a deduction that renters can make on their state income tax forms. Renters who owe no tax will get no benefit. You can access current Renter’s Tax Credit requirements at https:// The People’s Guide

CalWORKs provides money for children under 19 years old and the relatives caring for them. Work and training are required of most adults. Most adults can only get CalWORKs cash aid for 24 months in a lifetime (as of 1/2013), although an individual assessment will determine how many months of aid you will receive). If you qualify for cash aid, you are also entitled to Medi-Cal for healthcare and CalFresh (food stamps). In Sacramento County, the CalWORKs agency is called DHA, the Department of Human Assistance.

2. Limits on Property and Resources
There are property limits (“resource limits”) for families, including specific limits for family members 60 years or older who are on aid. Visit
Documents/CalWORKsFactSheet.pdf to access the current property limits.

• There is a limit on the value of a car you own if you apply for CalWORKs. There are certain exceptions for cars, such as a car you live in, a car you need for a business, or a car
Both one parent and two-parent families can get cash aid. In used to transport a disabled person. two-parent families, one of the parents must be disabled, or the parent that has earned the most money in the last two The maximum grant is cut dollar for dollar by any “unearned” years must have worked less than 100 hours in the last four income you have, such as social security survivor’s benefits, interest (like on a bank account), or unemployment money. weeks before applying for cash aid.
Earned income, wages from work, or income based on a
Children must live with a related adult and be 18 years old disability is not counted dollar for dollar, although the first or under. Some 18 year olds can get cash aid until their 19th
$225 of disiblity or earned income will not count. Half of the birthday if they will graduate by age 19 or have a disability remaining earned income after this amount will not count. that kept them from graduating.
If you are convicted of a drug-related felony after 1997, you
Families that have a disabled parent qualify for the higher cannot get any CalWORKs aid for yourself, but your children
“exempt” amount. See the CalWORKs Fact Sheet on the DHA can still get cash aid. website for more information:
For more information about CalWORKs, see the CalWORKs 3. Think About Time Limits Before You Take Cash Aid
Fact Sheet on the DHA website:
You may not want to get cash aid if you have other income.

Who Can Get CalWorks?
1. Income Limits
You can qualify for assistance if you meet certain income requirements. Once you begin to get assistance you can get more income, but there is still a limit. There is a special calculation if you have your own business or are self-employed.
You should apply even if you are not sure that you qualify.
For more information, please see the CalWORKs Fact Sheet on the DHA website:

Any month you get cash aid counts against the 24-month time limit, even if you are entitled only to a few dollars a month.
You can get Medi-Cal, Food Stamps and child care money even when you do not get cash aid. Is the cash aid you will get worth “using up” a month of eligibility? Should you “save” the month in case you need it more at a later time in your life? Call Legal Services to discuss your options.
4. Maximum Family Grants (“MFG”)
You will not get more cash aid for children born while your family is getting CalWORKs. There are certain exceptions. Ask the worker or consult with a legal aid organization.

The People’s Guide


• Money For Pregnant Women: After 6 months of pregnancy if you have no other children on CalWORKs, you may get an additional $47 until the baby is born. (Special rules apply)

What Are The Benefits?
1. Basic Benefits
•Medi-Cal to pay for health care (pg. 22: Medi-Cal)
• CalFresh (Food Stamps) in most cases (pg. 11: CalFresh)
• Immediate Needs: an advance of up to $200 at the time you apply, or your whole check within 3 days if you have an eviction notice (Tell your worker when you first apply.)
• Homeless and Housing Assistance including eviction prevention, temporary shelter, move-in costs, rent subsidy, and help with cost of moving. With some exceptions, you can only get this once in your lifetime.
• Non-Recurring Special Needs: You can get up to $600 each time if you have to replace clothing or household items because of a fire, disaster, theft or other event beyond your control. You can also get this money for shelter if your home is so damaged or unlivable you can’t stay there. You must have less than $100 to get this money.
• Special Needs: You can get an extra $9 to $15 if you have special needs such as higher food costs because of a necessary special diet, or higher transportation or utility costs due to a medical condition. Breast-feeding mothers can add
$15 to their grant to help with their dietary needs. Tell your worker if you have these special needs.
• Welfare To Work Services such as counseling, job training, help finding work educational assistance, money for tools, uniforms, childcare, transportation, and housing relocation.


• Child Support: You can get $50 extra each month if the other parent pays at least $50 of child support to the County’s
Department of Child Support Services on time. The Department of Child Support Services should give you a list that shows when the other parent paid (an “accounting”).
2. Diversion Payments
Instead of going on to cash aid you can apply for a large amount of money called a “diversion payment” to help you get or keep a job. Ask your worker for details. If they tell you Sacramento County does not offer diversion, call Legal
Aid (see pg. 70).
3. Immediate Need
You can get cash aid of $200 or your whole check in an emergency. You must have less than $100 and “immediate needs” when you apply or before you are approved. Be sure to tell the worker all of your needs, including money for diapers, medicine, transportation, laundry, or a utility shutoff notice.
4. Foster Care (Someone Else's Children)
If you are caring for someone else’s children, the children may qualify for Foster Care payments even if you are related to them. If a relative’s children live with you but do not get foster care, you should be able to get cash aid for them.

The People’s Guide

How Do I Apply for CalWorks?
You can apply for CalWORKs at the nearest DHA office (see page 68 - DHA Offices) or online at
When you apply, you have a right to be treated with courtesy and without discrimination for any reason. The DHA workers must try to get you all the benefits for which you are eligible. Often, eligible people who urgently need the aid don’t get correct information, or don’t understand or get discouraged.
If that is happening to you, be strong, insist on talking to a supervisor or the supervisor’s manager, seek out the help of someone who will advocate for you, or call a Legal Aid office.
(See page 67 - Hearings and Complaints.)
1. Domestic Violence
If you are a victim of domestic violence, or suffering effects of past domestic violence tell the worker right away, because there are specially trained workers available to help you. Also, you may not need to do WTW or have other eligibility rules changed such as the Maximum Family Grant rule.
2. Special Help for the Disabled
If you have a physical or mental disability that makes it hard for you to go through the regular application process, DHA must give you special help. This might include: taking an application at your home, helping you fill out forms, reading all forms to you. Ask your worker for this help. If they won’t give it to you, contact the Civil Rights Liaison in the office or call Legal Services for help.
3. Documents To Bring When You Apply
When applying for CalWORKs, bring the following documents with you. If you do not have some of them, go ahead and apply, and get a list of documents to be brought in later. Ask the worker to help you obtain missing documents.
• Identification with your name and current address on it. This can be a birth certificate, driver’s license, California ID card
• Social Security Numbers or Cards (or proof of application for the cards)

• Auto payment papers and registration
• Letters from a doctor if anyone in the household is pregnant, disabled, has a special medical need or needs a special diet
• Any papers having to do with marriage, divorce, child support, or other circumstances that apply to your family.
4. Fingerprint Requirement
All adults (age 18 and over) and teen parents must be fingerprinted in order to apply for and get CalWORKs. If you refuse to be fingerprinted, your cash aid will be denied, or stopped if you're already getting it. If you are scheduled for fingerprinting on a day that will not work for you, ask to reschedule.
5. Next Steps
Keep in touch with your DHA eligibility worker and write down his or her name, phone number, and phone hours. If you are asked to mail additional papers to the welfare office, ask the worker for a stamped envelope addressed to him or her.
If you take in papers, get a receipt. Keep your own copy of all the paperwork. If you need help and your worker is not available, the Worker of the Day should help you.
Within 45 days of when you turn in your application, you must either receive your first payment, or a notice that you have been denied aid. If the DHA denies your aid, they must send you a letter explaining the reason. Do not sign a “withdrawal” of your application unless you understand and agree with the written reason you are given.
If you are approved for cash aid for yourself, you will be required to participate in WTW unless you qualify to be excused (also called "exemption" or "good cause"). You will be getting an appointment letter to WTW shortly after you are approved for cash aid.
6. EBT Card
DHA will give you an EBT “electronic benefits card” (Golden
State ADVANTAGE) to use at banks, ATM machines and stores.
You access your cash aid and food stamps ("CalFresh") through the EBT card. Ask your worker for a list of banks and ATMs near you that will not charge you a fee. Call (877) 328-9677 right away if the card is stolen, lost, or destroyed. You can get back aid used after reporting the loss.

• Proof of income (like check stubs, a W2, or copy of your tax return)
• Proof that you live in the county (a document that has your name and an address on it) for each person on the application
• If you do not have ID, you can also fill out a form to swear that you are who you say you are. DHA will use this temporarily until you get proof of identification
• Proof of citizenship, alien or immigration status for each person on the application that has it
• Proof of your housing situation (rent receipts, lease agreement, etc.)

The People’s Guide


What Are The Requirements?
1. Report on a “SAR-7”
The Quarterly Report (QR-7) has been replaced with a SemiAnnual Report (SAR-7). Every six months, you must report changes in income, property or the number of people in your household. DHA will mail you a SAR-7 report form for you to do this. The SAR-7 will also ask you to report any changes, including changes you expect in the next six months.
2. Report All Your Income And Gifts
You should be careful to report all income you get or changes in your family. The welfare department will check bank, employer, and tax records to check your income, and accepts tips of suspected “welfare fraud” from the public.
3. Cooperate with Child Support Collection
Unless it could put you or your children in danger to do so, parents on cash aid must help (“cooperate with”) the Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) to collect child support from any absent parent. You must provide information you have about the other parent. You will get your CalWORKs grant plus an extra $50 per month for every month the other parent pays on time.
If you do not cooperate and do not have a good reason (such as fear of the other parent), your grant will be reduced 25%.
4. Get Immunizations (“Shots”) For Your Children
When you apply for CalWORKs or at your annual redetermination, you must show proof that your children under age 6 have had their shots.
5. Keep School-Age Children in School
If your child is under 16 and not attending school regularly without good cause, the adult’s cash aid will be cut off. If your child is over 16 and not attending school, or welfare to work activities, without good cause, only that child’s aid will be cut.
In either case, the cash grant will be restored when you prove to DHA that the child is in school or has good cause.

If you have used the one-time child under 2 exemption, you can still be exempt for caring for a child 3-12 months old. The length of time you are exempt will depend on your county’s policy. The time will count against your limit, though. (see If you need Mental Health, Substance Abuse or Domestic
Violence Services, they can count towards your hours (or you can be excused or do fewer hours).
DHA must give you an exemption from WTW, meaning you do not need to do WTW, if you are:
• Caring for a first child under 12 months old, or any later child under 6 months old
• Pregnant, and DHA agrees with medical verification that the participation or work will harm your pregnancy
• Under 16 years old
• A full time volunteer in the Volunteers in Services to America
(VISTA) program.
• You are a youth who is not pregnant or parenting and is
16 to 18 years old
• You are disabled for 30 days or more – can mean physically or mentally unable to particiapte for 20/30 hours per week for participation or work as verified by a doctor
• You are 60 years or age or older
Any months exempted for the following reasons do not count against your CalWORKs 48 month time clock;
If you do not qualify for an exemption, you may have good cause that excuses you from doing something WTW asks you to do. The 48-month time limit is not stopped by good cause
(except see below on domestic violence).
Good cause includes:

What Are The Work Rules?

• Not getting supportive services you need (such as child care and transportation) to work or go to a WTW activity

1. Weekly Participation Hours
The following rules apply to most families. As of January 2013, if you are a single parent with a child under 6, you have to work or participate in “welfare to work” activities 20 hours a week, unless you are excused.
If you are a single parent with no children under 6, the participation requirement is 30 hours a week unless someone is exempt. Two-parent families must work 35 hours, which may be shared by both parents, but one parent must do at least
20 hours or more per week.
If your child is under two years old, one adult per family may be excused from welfare to work activities (this can only occur once in the adult’s lifetime.


If you are exempted for caring for a child between 12 and 23 months old or two children under 6 before January 2013, this exemption continued until you are called in to be “reengaged” in Welfare-to-Work as a mandatory participants (when reengaged, your 24 months of the full Welfare-to-Work activities will start; see below).

• Child sick at home from school
• No transportation (for example your car broke down)
• You are homeless
2. Domestic Violence Waiver:
DHA can waive some of the CalWORKs rules for victims of domestic violence, such as stop the 48 month time clock, not participate in WTW, stop child support collections, or waive the maximum family grant rule. The violence can be something that happened in the past or in the present.
3. Learning Disabilities
All WTW participants must be offered a learning disability

The People’s Guide

(LD) screening.
You can say you do not want the LD screening, but if you change your mind, you can ask for LD screening and evaluation anytime.
If the evaluation shows you have a learning disability, your welfare-to-work plan must have activities that help you deal with your learning disability, such as tutoring or extra study time. DHA must decide whether job search will be useful for you, or if your time limits should be extended.

Services for Working Parents
At present the services include:

may qualify as a Self-Initiated Program, you need to tell your worker at Appraisal. This will let you do the education and training as your WTW activity instead of going through Job
Club (see next column) and the rest of the WTW process.
2. Job Club
Unless you are already in school or working, Job Club will probably be your first WTW activity. Job Club is a four week activity. The WTW worker can shorten the job search requirement if they think it will not help you find a job.
You don’t have to do job search if:
• It would interfere with a full time job you already have
• You are enrolled in a Self-Initiated Program of college or vocational training

Child care (see pg. 51)
Transportation Money: bus fare, parking costs, mileage payment, or funds to fix a car (if funding is available)
Money for tools, books, fees, and uniforms if needed for work or training. DHA does not pay for tuition.
Mental Health Services: You should receive a mental health screening during orientation. Also, a DHA worker can suggest to you that you go to a mental health evaluation if they think you have a mental health barrier to finding or keeping a job. You can also ask for mental health evaluation anytime by calling your eligibility worker or WTW worker.
Substance Abuse Services: You can ask for help with substance abuse treatment at anytime by calling your eligibility worker or WTW worker. If you find it hard to get or keep a job because of problems with alcohol or drugs, the DHA worker can refer you to a substance abuse clinical assessment. You may get help through a variety of rehabilitation services. You can continue getting these services as part of your WTW requirements while receiving cash aid.
You can go to a substance abuse treatment program as the
WTW activity. You have the right to refuse any substance abuse treatment program as the WTW activity; however, if you do not go to a treatment program, you cannot use substance abuse as a reason to not work or not participate in WTW.

Welfare-to-Work Program

• You are in the Cal-LEARN program
• Doing a job search would not help you (example: you need basic English or literacy training first)
• You need other help with domestic violence, mental health, or substance abuse.
3. Assessment and WTW plan
If you don’t find a job in the first three weeks of job club, at the end of that week, you will have a “vocational assessment” to determine your next WTW activities.
The worker will then come up with a WTW Plan based on your individual goals and needs. Don’t sign the WTW plan unless you understand and agree with it. Get a copy of it. The plan must be based on the assessment of your needs and skills.
Ask for a hearing, a third party assessment, or call Legal Aid, if the plan is not what you want.
4. Self Initated Programs
If on the date of your WTW appraisal you are already in school or training, or have enrolled to start school, your education or training can count as your WTW activity. This is called a
SIP (“Self Initiated Program”) because you chose it yourself.
It could be a college or vocational program. If you already have a 4-year college degree, you cannot do a SIP unless it is for a teaching credential.
If you are a SIP, you will not have to follow the core/non-core activities requirement.

1. Orientation and Appraisal
Soon after you apply for cash aid, you will get an appointment letter to go to WTW orientation. During the orientation, you will be told about WTW rules, time limits, and work requirements. After Orientation, you will meet with your WTW worker in a one-on-one meeting called Appraisal. You will talk to your worker about your work and educational history, what kind of services you need (such as substance abuse, mental health, or if you are a victim of domestic violence), and anything else that will help you get the services you need in welfareto-work.
If you are already enrolled in an education or training that

DHA has a list of approved SIP programs. If you are in a program that is on the approved list, DHA must approve it.
If the program you are in is not on the approved list, DHA should approve it if it leads to employment. You need either a letter from a college counselor or letters from three people in your field of study stating that your program will lead to employment for DHA to approve it.
To continue in a SIP you must be making satisfactory progress toward a degree or certificate that leads to employment.
5. Help To Keep The Job—Post Employment Services
Once you have found a job, the WTW program can help you with money for transportation, training, tools, uniforms, and

The People’s Guide


What Are The Time Limits?
In January 2013, a new Welfare-to-Work (WTW) 24-Month
Time Clock was established within the CalWORKs 48-Month
Time Limit. Your own time limit will be based on an assessment. The aid does not have to be used 24 months in a row.
After the adult has been aided 24 months, their part of the grant is cut, but their children can still get aid.
People already on CalWORKs before 1/1/2013 will have up to
24 months, or whatever time is left on their 48 month clock, to finish their educational activities in their welfare-to-work plan. If you finish your educational activities and have time left on your 48 months limit, you must do federal activities
(generally work) in order to keep getting aid. (see www.lsnc. net/fact_sheets/2013_CW_changes.pdf) Certain months do not count against the 24 months of activities. They may count against the 48-month limit, though.
These are 1.) if you are developing your work plan; 2.) have good cause for not participating; 3.) are on sanction; or 4.) you are meeting the federal rules for work participation (for single adult families, this means doing 20 hours of work or the first 12 months of vocational education). (see www.lsnc. net/fact_sheets/2013_CW_changes.pdf) The 24-month limit can be extended if all adult parents or caretaker relatives in the home of the aided child meet any of these tests:
• 60 years or older
• Disabled, receiving State Disability Insurance, Temporary
Workers’ Compensation, In-Home Supportive Services or SSI, and unable to work or go to WTW
• Not able to go to WTW or employment because of an “impairment”, for example a learning disability or chronic mental illness. You must have a history of “full cooperation” in WTW for a sustained period. Full cooperation means no sanctions and satisfactory attendance.
However, even with a sanction this exemption can be granted if you were ever in WTW for 6 months straight, or if you were in WTW for two periods within a two year period that are equal to six or more months.
• There are no local jobs that accommodate your disabilities
• A non-parent relative taking care of a child “at risk of foster care placement” and that limits your ability to go to WTW or employment. Example, if you are a grandparent under age
60 who cannot both be regularly employed and care for the child, DHA can continue your CalWORKs aid rather than having the child enter foster care.
• A domestic abuse survivor who cannot do WTW because of the abuse. You do not have to be in a domestic abuse situation now. You will also qualify if you are suffering from the effects of past abuse and the effects limit your ability to go to WTW or work.
You only need to tell your worker (“self-declare”) about the


domestic abuse; no other proof, not even a police report, is required unless the County has proof the information you gave was questionable. Your time will be extended for as long as you continue to suffer from the effects of the abuse or are in danger of more violence.
• Taking care of an ill or disabled household member if DHA agrees that this harms your ability to participate or work.
Clock Stoppers or Exemptions
Apply for an exemption to “stop the clock” for any months which should not have been counted in your time limit. Your request should be in writing, but can be verbal.
DHA has to send you a written decision within 15 days of the request (unless something happens that is beyond the DHA’s control). If you disagree with the decision you may request a state fair hearing. DHA is required to look at your case records before asking you to provide information or documentation which you already turned in.
Months that do not count toward your time limit include:
• Sanctioned or No Check—Any month you do not get a
CalWORKs aid payment for yourself even if you receive various services like child-care or job training or counseling. No payment is issued for you if you are sanctioned that month, the payment would have been less than $10, or you are caring for an aided child but not aided yourself.
• Disabled—Any month you are sick, disabled, or injured for over 30 days and it interferes with going to work or WTW. You may be required to provide a doctor’s report. This includes mental and physical illness.
• Caring For a Sick Family Member—Any month you are caring for an ill or disabled person living in the home and that caretaking interfered with regular employment or participation in WTW activities.
• Foster Child Placement or Risk of Placement—Any month you are a non-parent relative taking care of a child who is a dependent ward of the court or “at risk of foster care placement” and that responsibility interfered with regular employment or participation in WTW activities. This can exempt, for example, a grandparent under age 60 who could not both be regularly employed and care for the child.
• Domestic Violence—Any month you cannot participate in
CalWORKs as a result of domestic abuse. You do not have to be in a domestic abuse situation now. You also qualify if you are suffering from the effects of past abuse. You only need to tell your worker [“self-declare”] to qualify; no other proof, not even a police report, is required.
• Over 60— Any month the parent or caretaker relative is
60 years or older.
• Child Support Repaid—All child support paid to the
County by an absent parent takes time off your clock. Ask the Department of Child Support Services to give you with an accounting of the amount of child support they have collected on your behalf during the 48-month period. Then ask your WTW worker or fill out and submit an exemption form

The People’s Guide

to find out how many months of credit you get for the child support that was paid.
• Teen Parent—Any month you are a teen parent or pregnant, under age 19, do not yet have a GED or high school diploma, and either participate in or are excused from Cal Learn or another teen parent program approved by the DHA. You can be excused from Cal Learn in any month in which you can show the DHA you do not have necessary childcare or transportation, you are sick, disabled, or expelled and an alternative school program is not available. You can’t use Cal Learn as a clock-stopper after you get the GED or diploma. When there is no funding the Cal Learn program is not offered.
• Native American—You are a Native American who lives in “Indian Country”, or on a reservation if 50% or more of the adults there are unemployed.
In a family with two aided parents, both adults must meet one of the above clock stoppers for the month not to count.

What Are The Penalties?
If you don’t follow the rules, you may have your assistance stopped. Your children’s assistance should continue.

• Transportation is not available to your job or WTW activity
• There was discrimination at the job or training offered in terms of age, sex, race, religion, national origin, or physical or mental disability
• The job or job offer exceeded the daily or weekly hours of work customary for that job
• The round trip travel time to the job or activity is over two hours using public transportation, not counting time you need to take your children to school or child care
• You can only get to the activity by walking and you have to walk more than two miles round trip, not counting the distance needed to take children to school or child care
• The job or activity violates health and safety standards or does not provide worker’s compensation
• Accepting the job or work activity would interrupt an approved job or training program that you have in progress
• The job or community service would result in regular employees being fired, laid off, or having their hours or pay cut.

In some cases both parents can have their cash aid cut.

• Any other good reason that DHA agrees will temporarily prevent or significantly impair your ability to work or participate in WTW regularly.

DHA can cut your part of the grant if they can show that you have:

During a sanction you continue to get childcare for the hours that you work. Your Medi-Cal must also continue.

• Failed or refused to participate in your assigned activity
• Failed to make good progress in your assigned activity
• Failed or refused to accept a job
• Failed or refused to keep a job
• Failed to keep the same amount of earnings
DHA must try to contact you and give you a chance to comply.
If you fail to comply, DHA will send you a “Notice of Action” no sooner than 30 days before the cut in aid will take place.
They will give you an appointment within 20 days to discuss the problem with your worker.
It is very important for you to go to this meeting or call your worker to explain. You also have the right to ask for a fair hearing if you can’t work it out with your worker.

Can Teen Parents Get Help?
If you are a teenager under 18 who is pregnant or who already has a child, has never been married, and you apply for
CalWORKs, you must live with your own parent or parents, a guardian, another adult relative, or in an adult supervised arrangement in order to qualify.
If you are a teen parent, or pregnant, and don’t have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent, and you receive CalWORKs cash aid, you have to be in a program called CAL-Learn. CalLearn provides you with supportive services in child care, transportation, and school supplies while you go to school.

Your part of the grant will be cut until DHA agrees that you are complying with the rules.
Your cash aid cannot be cut if you have good cause for refusing to comply.
“Good cause” includes:
• You are a victim of domestic violence
• You were ill, or caring for a sick member of the family
• Your mental illness prevented you from doing what was asked of you
• You need child care for a child 12 years or younger and none is available

The People’s Guide


Homeless Assistance for Families
If your family is homeless, or has received a notice to pay or quit, the DHA can give you money for temporary shelter and to help with move-in costs to a permanent home.
The money is in addition to your CalWORKs cash aid and does not have to be paid back.
To apply you must be homeless or have received a notice to pay or quit: be eligible for CalWORKs and have less than $100.
You may be asked to prove that you are homeless, but money cannot be denied or delayed if you do not have proof.
It is against the law for any government agency to take children away from parents for being homeless unless there is evidence of abuse or neglect. Homelessness by itself is not child abuse or neglect.
Usually you can get this homeless assistance aid only once in a lifetime. However, a family can get help more than once if the cause is:
• Domestic violence by a spouse, partner, or roommate
• A physical or mental illness (but not including drug addiction or alcoholism) and you have a written doctor’s note.
• A fire or natural disaster or your home was condemned, or something beyond your control.
1. Temporary Shelter Money
You can get money for up to 16 days to stay in a hotel or shelter if they charge rent. You cannot use this money to pay to stay with a friend. You will get $65 to $125 per day to pay for shelter, depending on your family size. If you find some place for less money than they give you, you can keep the extra money.

to provide your worker with a mailing address (even if only temporary) within 10 days.
2. Money for Permanent Housing
You can also get money to cover the actual cost of security deposits, “last month’s rent” deposit, and gas, electricity, and water deposits. The DHA will not pay for the first month’s rent, though, or old overdue utility bills because you must pay that from your CalWORKs cash aid.
DHA will not pay unless you find a place where your share of the monthly rent is less than 80% of the monthly family income. If you plan to share your housing, the landlord must agree to the rent-share plan. DHA will question the housing unless your name is on the lease.
If you are a CalWORKs participant now you must be given this permanent housing assistance within one working day of showing that you have found a place. If you are not yet receiving CalWORKs benefits, you must first bring in the documents you need to prove you are eligible for CalWORKs, and proof that you have found a place (like a note from the landlord or a proposed rental agreement).
When you pay your landlord, get a receipt to give to your worker within 30 days. If you later move, the landlord and/ or the utility companies should return the security deposits to you, not to the County, to use at your next residence.
You can also get Permanent Housing Assistance to receive up to 2 months of back rent to prevent eviction. Each month of this back rent cannot be more than 80% of the family income.
Call Legal Services for details (see pg 70).
If you have questions, call 211.

Show receipts to prove that you have paid something for shelter. (If you cannot show receipts, you can still get homeless aid money but it will be paid directly to the hotel or shelter).
You will also have to fill out a form showing that you have looked for a permanent place to live for each day that you received the shelter.
If eligible, DHA should help you the same day you apply, either by giving you a referral to a specific shelter with room for you or by giving you cash that day. If they refer you to a shelter, they must give you temporary shelter money by the next day.
Even if you decide not to go to the shelter ask for money for as many nights as needed during a single 16-day period.
(For example, you cannot get a week now and another week two months from now.) If you needed but did not get all 16 days of temporary homeless assistance, ask for a hearing to collect it retroactively. After the 16 days are over, make sure


The People’s Guide

Child Care and Education
Children between the ages of 6 and 18 are required by
California law to attend school.
The Sacramento County Office of Education and the respective school districts within Sacramento County offers numerous programs for all family members, including:
• Workforce development and employability skills training
• Youth development programs
• Infant development programs for infants and toddlers up to 36 months of age with developmental delays
• Child welfare and attendance supports
Early Head Start • Literacy programs to help students and parents learn to read, and to train parents to help their children learn
• Computer training and job readiness for parents
• Early Advantage programs for children under age 3
• Head Start and State Preschool programs for children
• First 5 funded Preschools and Playgroups
Call your local school district or (916)228-2500 countywide to find out about these and other programs preschool programs and family literacy programs.
Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services Parent Education Hotline
(916) 313-7622. SFBFS’ Parent Education program guides parents in raising children in a healthy supportive manner.
After participating in workshops, families can earn baby supplies. 1. After School Enrichment
Especially if you are in CalWORKs, call your local elementary school to see if it has an after-school enrichment program.
This program provides supervised after-school fun, growth, snacks, and learning for children from first through sixth grade. Children must be attending the school where the program is offered.
If your children attend school in the Sacramento City Unified School District, call (916) 643-9430 for information on enrollment in afterschool programs. If your children attend school in a different school district, call the local district.
2. Homeless Children's Rights
Homeless children do not need a permanent address to enroll in school. They also:
• May remain at the same school they attended before becoming homeless, or enroll at the school serving the place they are living temporarily.
• Cannot be denied enrollment just because any documents are not immediately available.
• Have the right to participate in school meals,and any other federal, state or local programs for which they are eligible.
• Must be provided transportation if other children get transportation. • Cannot be isolated or separated from the main school

environment just because they are homeless.
These special rights under federal McKinney-Vento law apply to all children and teens without a fixed, regular adequate residence including if you are staying with friends or relatives because you lost your housing, you are waiting for foster placement, or you are living in any kind of shelter, car, motel, campground, abandoned building, garage, or similar place.

Can I Get Money for Child Care?
CalWORKs will pay for child care for children up to age 12, and up to age 21 if the child is disabled and needs special care. You may be eligible for child care even if you are under a CalWORKs sanction, and after you leave CalWORKs for up to two years. If you are low income, working, but did not ever get CalWORKs cash aid, you may still qualify for subsidized child care. For information call (916)369-0191.
1. How Do I Get Child Care?
If you are receiving cash aid and participating in Welfare to
Work activity with the Department of Human Assistance (DHA), ask your worker to send a Stage 1 Referral for child care, DHA will handle your child care at first. After DHA approves your case and says you are stable on aid, DHA will send your case to Child Action for Stage 2 Child Care.
If you were on cash aid within the last 24 months and are no longer aided, you could be eligible for CAI’s Stage 2 program. If you think you are eligible, call (916) 361-0511 to apply.
2. Choosing Quality Child Care
It is your right as a parent to choose the child care you think is best for your child. The agency will give you referrals and information on what to look for when choosing a provider. If you decide the referrals are not good choices, ask for more referrals. Choose the child care that’s best for you:
• Child care centers, preschools, or family child care are licensed. • License-exempt child care can be provided by friends, relatives, or neighbors. If you use license-exempt care, you will need to file a statement that your provider meets minimal health and safety requirements. Your provider may also need to be Trustline registered (criminal background check and fingerprinting.). The child care agency will not pay for child care provided to you by someone on your CalWORKs case.
• If the provider is caring for children from more than one family (besides their own) they may need a license.
Most providers will have to be Trustline registered, meaning they are fingerprinted and go through a criminal background check, before they can be paid. If the provider is the child's aunt, uncle, grandmother, or grandfather, they are exempt from the Trustline registration process.
3. What is Subsidized Child Care?

The People’s Guide


Subsidized child care is assistance to low-income families to cover all or part of their child care costs.
If you are working, enrolled in school, or participating in an approved welfare-to-work training plan, you may be eligible for financial assistance with your child care costs. There are a wide variety of programs that provide subsidized child care services for eligible families.
Subsidized child care programs offer care for children, birth through twelve years of age. Some are full-day child care and development programs, some are part-day educational enrichment programs, and some pay for care provided by family, friends or neighbors.
You are eligible for subsidized child care if:
• You have children under age 13
• You are working
• You are in a training program
• You are going to school
• You have a reason why you cannot care for your own children
• Your family income meets eligibility requirements
• You want your 3-5 year-old child to attend a state preschool
4. How Do I Get On the Waiting List for Child Care?
Child Action, Inc. maintains a list of families who are eligible for subsidized child care programs in Sacramento County.
This list is called the “Centralized Eligibility List” (or CEL). By signing up on the CEL, child care programs that meet your specified needs can access your information when they have openings in their programs.
There are two ways to apply to get on the Centralized Eligibility List (CEL):
Online: If you have access to a computer, you can submit an application through the website, Follow the instructions to begin the application process. If you fill out the application on-line, you will be able to update your own information using your log-in and password.
Phone: Call (916) 369-0191 and speak with a Child Action,
Inc. Information Specialist, who will assist you with determining your eligibility and filling out the CEL application.
They can mail or fax a CEL application to you, or we can help you fill out the online CEL application over the phone.

income, or family size changes it may affect your eligibility.
You can update your information via the website http://, mail in an updated CEL application form (available on the website), or call a Child Action, Inc.
Information Specialist at (916) 369-0191 to update your information over the phone.
6. Speaking Up for Child Care
The most effective way to make sure that there is adequate child care assistance for families is to communicate your needs to your elected officials. Parent Voices, a parent-led group, helps parents advocate and speak out on child care issues.
For information about Parent Voices or to receive a copy of a publication on advocacy, call Child Action, Inc. at
(916) 369-0191 and ask for Handout #9: Speaking Up For
Children. You can also ask for a grievance if you disagree with what Child Action has done in your case. If you disagree with the result of the grievance you can appeal to the State
Department of Education.
7. Child Care and Development Programs
Full or part-day child care programs are available in Sacramento County for children from low-income families who need child care in order to work, attend school or participate in job training programs.
• Child Development Programs offer full-day child care for children whose families are working or enrolled in school or training programs.
• State Preschool Programs offer part-day preschool and parenting education to low-income children and families.
• Head Start Programs offer full and part-day preschool and parenting education to low-income children and families.
• Alternative Payment Programs provide child care payments for children from low income families who are working, enrolled in school or training programs or in need of protective services.
• Campus Child Care is provided at the Los Rios Community
College District campuses for children of enrolled students.
Mustard Seed School: Loaves & Fishes’ free, private school for children 3 to 15 years old provides survival resources, immunization updates, counseling and assistance entering and reentering private schools.
Loaves & Fishes Library: The Loaves & Fishes Library is a full-service library with books, daily newspapers and periodicals. It provides a place for quiet time and space for studying and writing.

5. How Long Will I Have to Wait Before I Get Help?

8. Becoming a Child Care Provider

There are thousands of eligible families that are on the
Centralized Eligibility List, so there is no guarantee that you will receive financial assistance. However, the first step in receiving help paying for child care is to submit an application.

If you or someone you know would like to provide child care, call Child Action, Inc. (CAI) at (916) 369-0191 for licensing, training and other information.

After you submit your application it is important to keep your information up-to-date. If your address, phone number,


The People’s Guide

Foster Care
What Are Foster Care Benefits?

Sacramento County Child Protective Services (CPS) may file a petition with the Dependency Court to have the child removed from the parent(s)' custody and placed with a relative or in a licensed foster home. Licensed foster homes receive monthly payments for each foster child placed in the home. If you are interested in becoming licensed by
Sacramento County as a foster care provider, call Sacramento County Foster Home Licensing at (916) 875-5543.
Questions about foster care payments should be directed to the Department of Human Assistance, Foster Care Bureau at (916) 875-5770.
If you would like to become a legal guardian for a child placed in your home by Sacramento County CHild Protective Services, contact the child’s social worker. Probate guardianship is available to caregivers with informal placement of their relatives’ children (though there are no cash payments tied to this type of guardianship).
If you are caring for a relative that is a dependent of the
Juvenile Court, you may be eligible for foster care payments. The County refers to this as “Kinship Care”. In order to qualify for Kinship Care, relative caregivers must meet foster care licensing standards, including a criminal background check of all adults in the home. The child may be eligible only if:
• The child was placed with the caregiver by an order of the Dependency Court.
• CPS is responsible for the child’s placement and care.
• CPS inspected and approved your home.
• The child’s parent(s) met the poverty requirements in the month that CPS first went to court or within the six months prior to that.

Foster care benefits are monthly cash aid paid by Sacramento
County CPS for the child (not for the adults). The child also gets a one-time clothing allowance when the child is placed with you and another clothing allowance each year for backto-school.
In most counties in California, there is a higher “specialized rate” for children with severe medical and/or psychological needs. If you think your foster child qualifies for this, request an assessment from the social worker. If the child is also a
Regional Center client, s/he may qualify for a Dual Agency rate.
All children in foster care get Medi-Cal.
2. What Are My Rights?
If you think you should be getting any of these benefits and are not, you can ask for a state hearing, or call Legal Services of Northern California at (916) 551-2150 even if you did not get a notice denying benefits.
Every child wh is under the supervision of CPS has an attorney.
Know who the attorney is and call him/her with any questions or concerns about the child’s needs. To find out who the child’s attorney is, call the Children’s Law Center of Sacramento at
(916) 520-2010 or (916) 520-2050. Ask the social worker or the attorney to let you know when a court hearing is scheduled. Foster parents can attend all court hearings but cannot speak unless approved by the judge.

Report child abuse at (916) 875-5437 (916) (875-KIDS)

If the caregiver does not qualify for foster care benefits as the child’s relative, the caregiver will likely qualify for
CalWORKs benefits. Regardless of income, caregivers can receive non-needy CalWORKs benefits for the child. If caregivers are low-income, they can apply for CalWORKs benefits for themselves and the child, or add the child to a caregiver’s existing CalWORKs case.

The People’s Guide


with the costs of the adoption process. The adoptive family becomes legally responsible for the child’s support.

What Other Programs
Are Available?

Additional Information

A relative does not have to become the legal guardian. If he or she does so, the Dependency Court case is usually closed and foster care benefits stop. If CPS recommends you become the legal guardian, ask how this will affect the benefits, and ask about Kin-GAP (Kinship Guardianship Assistance Payments Program).
To get Kin-GAP, the child must have lived with the relative for at least 6 consecutive months and the relative must become the child’s legal guardian. The relative’s home must also have been recently approved by CPS. The Dependency Court case is then closed and CPS is no longer involved. Kin-GAP is only available to caregivers who take guardianship of children placed through Dependency Court.

For more information or support on a specific issue, the
California State Ombudsman for Foster Care is available.
(916) 651-6560 or (877) 846-1602 In Sacramento County, the Child Welfare Ombudsman information is:
(916) 875-2000 Kin-GAP pays the same amount as the child received in foster care benefits. If the child was not receiving foster care benefits,
Kin-GAP is paid at the basic foster care rate. Kin-GAP also may pay a yearly clothing allowance and a Kinb-GAP youth may be eligible for Independent Living Program (ILP) services.
(800) KIN-0047 will help you identify kinship support services in any California County. If a relative gets guardianship in the probate court, the relative is eligible for CalWorks instead of Kin-Gap.
Adoption Assistance
The Adoption Assistance Program provides benefits to adoptive families. The benefits are usually the same as the foster care amount, including higher “specialized rates”. Benefits must be renegotiated at least every two years. You may also get help


The People’s Guide

Social Security Programs
Who Can Get Social Security
Covered workers pay for Social Security (FICA) by being taxed on the money they earn, and employers must match this amount. Social Security covers both employees and people who are self-employed.
The amount of Social Security you get depends on how much money you have earned and how many quarters you worked in a job covered by Social Security. As of 2014, a quarter is credited to your account for each $1,200 earned. You cannot earn more than 4 quarters in a year. Visit oact/cola/QC.html for the latest coverage data.
1. Retirement Benefits
Monthly payments are made to workers and their eligible dependents, which include:
• children under 18
• children age 18 to 19 who are full time students
• children age 18 or over with a disability which began before age 22
• spouses and unremarried ex-spouses who are 62 or over
• spouses and unmarried ex-spouses caring for the worker’s children who are under 16, or for children who are disabled and entitled to benefits on the worker’s account.
To get full retirement benefits you must be at least 65 years old. (This will gradually increase to age 67 by the year 2022).
To receive reduced benefits, you must be at least 62. Persons over 65 receiving retirement benefits also get Medicare benefits. Present law prevents Social Security benefits going to any non-citizen who is not “lawfully present” in the U.S. (see page
65 Guide for Non-Citizens).
You can earn money and still get retirement benefits. If you are over 65, there is no earnings limit. If you are between
62 and 65, there are limits which can be calculated at http:// The limit increases every year. If your earnings are over the limit, your retirement benefits are reduced (by $1 for every $2 earned above the limit). These limits apply only to what you earn, not to money you get from investments, pensions, and other “unearned income.”
2. Survivor Benefits

When a covered worker dies, monthly payments are made to eligible family:
• A spouse over age 60 or disabled over age 50 or caring for the worker’s child who is under 16 or disabled
• The spouse above can be divorced from the worker only if the marriage lasted at least a decade
• A disabled adult unmarried child
A parent of the worker over age 62 if at least 50% dependent on the worker.

Who Can Get Social Security
Disability Benefits?
If you are unable to work because of a severe illness, certified by doctors, that has lasted at least 12 months or is expected to last at least 12 months or end in death, you may be able to get
Monthly Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) payments for yourself and eligible family members (such as a spouse, unmarried ex-spouse, child, or adult disabled child).
For these additional family members, the amount is in addition to the worker’s benefit and there is a maximum amount that can be paid to any one family.
When you become disabled you have several options.
You may be entitled to State Disability Insurance (see pg.
40, Workers Rights and Unemployment under "What If I Get
Injured and Can’t Work").
However, you should also apply immediately for disability benefits under Social Security.
You may also want to apply for SSI (pg. 56 - SSI and pg.
58 - CAPI).
SSDI does not require low family income, but SSI does. Also,
SSDI provides Medicare eligibility, while SSI provides MediCal. SSDI requires that the applicant have a record of at least some wages earned during each of 20 quarters (three-month periods) of covered employment in the last 10 years before becoming disabled
SSI has no work history requirement.
Because both SSI and SSDI can take several months from application to approval, while waiting you can also apply for
“Medi-Cal Only” at the welfare office. It is important not to wait until your state disability benefits have run out before applying for federal disability benefits. If you have not yet received your SSI or SSDI and your state disability benefits have run out, you should apply for General Assistance (see pg. 60).

The People’s Guide


What is SSI?
SSI (“Supplemental Security Income”) is a cash benefit program for low-income persons 65 and over and for blind and disabled persons of any age, including infants and children.
Some immigrants cannot qualify for SSI but can qualify for another program called CAPI (Cash Assistance Program for
1. Basic Eligibility
If you have enough work history you may qualify for SSDI
(Social Security Disability Insurance.) If you do not have enough work history you may qualify for SSI. Many people get both: if your SSDI is below the maximum SSI amount, some SSI will be added to your check to make it come up to the SSI level.
SSI may be your entire income, or it may add to other income you already get so long as your total income is not more than $20 over the SSI maximum benefit. You must be a U.S. citizen or a qualified immigrant living in the country legally to get SSI.
To get SSI, at least one of the following must apply:
• You are age 65 or older
• You are blind; the vision in your best eye is no better than
20/200 with glasses or your tunnel vision is 20% or less
• Your medical records and/or examination by a doctor chosen by the state shows that your physical or mental disability can be expected to keep you, or have kept you, from working for
12 continuous months or can be expected to result in death
• You are a child under 18 who has a medically proven “marked and severe” physical or mental disability that would keep you from working if you were an adult or significantly interfere with your daily activities.

If you have too many resources, you can spend them down to meet the limits. You could buy things you need (as long as whatever you buy does not make you go over another limit), or pay off debts. If you give away resources or sell them below a fair price, you can be ineligible for SSI for up to 36 months.
If a child eligible for SSI lives with a parent (or parents) not eligible for SSI, a portion of the parent’s income and resources may be used to figure the child’s SSI cash aid. If a person eligible for SSI lives with a spouse not eligible for
SSI, a portion of the spouse’s income and resources may be used to figure the SSI cash aid. The Social Security Office can explain the complicated rules and figure the benefit. For more information, visit or call (800) 772-1213.
Food: If you get SSI in California, you cannot get CalFresh
(food stamps). However, if you live where meals cannot be prepared you can get additional financial help each month
(ask for the Restaurant Meals Allowance.)
Health Care: If you receive SSI, you automatically qualify for Medi-Cal without a share of cost. You may also be eligible for In-Home Supportive Services. (See page 32)
Special Telephone Equipment: If your disability makes it difficult to use the phone you may qualify for special equipment to help. Call (800) 806-1191 (voice) or
(800) 806-4474 (TTY line.)
Rent and Household Expenses: Benefits will be lower if you live with someone else and do not pay your full share of household expenses. Homeless people receive the same cash aid as persons with homes, except that you can only get SSI
6 months out of 9 if living in a “public shelter”. If you were getting free room and board when you applied for SSI and later begin paying your share for room and board, tell your worker so your benefits will increase.

1. Income

A single person can get a board & care rate called “Nonmedical
Out of Home Care,” if you do not receive In Home Supportive
Services, are not staying in your own home, and a relative who does not get SSI is providing you room, food, and personal care. The county must certify the private residence.

Your “countable income” may not be above the maximum benefit level. Visit or call
(800) 772-1213 to see if you qualify.

You may be able to get an immediate payment from the Social
Security office if either your SSI or your Social Security check is late and you need money right away.

You cannot get SSI any month in which you are in prison or jail, in violation of parole or probation, or a fugitive from a felony. There are many other types of income that can be subtracted, including foster care payments and all work expenses if you are blind. For a full list, see index.htm
2. Resources or Assets
Your countable resources may not be more than a certain amount. Some resources are not counted, including the home you live in and one car if you use it for work or medical treatment at least four times a year or if it is specially-equipped for a disabled person. There are special rules also for property used to make income, and retirement accounts.


How Do I Apply for SSI?
See page 58 Social Security Offices. Come in, or call
(800) 772-1213 to make an appointment. Even if the process from application to first check takes months, when you are approved the benefits will be paid beginning with when you started the application. Do not accept a verbal denial. Insist on filing at least a partial application. If you do not have all the necessary information, you can give additional or corrected information later.
TTY Number for hearing impaired

The People’s Guide

(800) 325-0778.

If you have difficulty with English or with hearing, the Social
Security Office will provide you with an interpreter without cost.
You may have help from a friend, family member or advocate at any appointment. If your condition makes getting to the office difficult, you may ask for a telephone interview.
If you want to sign a form allowing someone else to serve as your representative, ask by phone for form SSA-1696 to be mailed to you. Parents or guardians can apply for a child under age
18 who is blind or who has a disability.
You will need to provide:
• Social Security card or record of number
• birth certificate or other proof of age
• rent or mortgage information
• payroll slips, bank books, insurance policies, car registration, burial fund records
• names, addresses and telephone numbers of doctors hospitals and clinics that have treated them (if applying for
SSI because of disability or blindness)
• proof of U.S. citizenship or eligible noncitizen status
You should apply even if they don’t have all the things listed.
The Social Security Office can help you get whatever is needed.
Your case will be sent to a state agency under contract with
SSA to obtain your medical records and decide whether you meet the medical requirements for eligibility to benefits. In general, people who are blind or have very obvious disabilities are approved more quickly than those who must have their disabilities more extensively verified.
If the state decides that you are not disabled enough to get
SSI, you can appeal.
If necessary, you can apply for General Assistance while you wait for SSI approval. Ask if the county will help you get SSI while you are on General Assistance.
If you get a notice that you have been overpaid, and you believe it is not your fault, insist on immediately submitting a “Request for Waiver of Overpayment.”
If you believe that your SSI check or any notice that you get is wrong, insist on immediately submitting a “Request for
Reconsideration”. Legal Services (see pg. 70) and advocacy organizations can help you best after you insist on these forms to protect your rights. There are also private attorneys who help with disability cases.
Also, some Congressional district offices have free experts at
Social Security Casework. Call yours and ask for help with a hearing or complaint.

How Can I Handle A Problem with
Social Security, SSI or SSDI?
The Social Security Administration must mail you a notice of any changes in your benefits. If you disagree with the proposed action, request a “Reconsideration” immediately by going to the Social Security office and filling out a “Request for Reconsideration” form . Make sure that you get a copy of the form stamped by Social Security with the date it was filed.
The form is also available online at
If you request a Reconsideration within the time period given on the notice (usually 10 days), your benefits can continue unchanged until you receive a decision. If they paid you too much, and they want to take money out of your check, you can request a waiver if it wasn’t your fault and if it would be hard for you to pay the money back. Ask Social Security for the waiver form.
In SSDI cases, you must fill out a separate form asking for your aid to continue. This is called “payment continuation.”
If you miss the deadline given in the notice, the aid will be cut or reduced, but you still have 60 days from the date you received the notice to request a Reconsideration. After 60 days, if you have “Good Cause” for missing the deadline, you may be allowed to file a Reconsideration. If you win the
Reconsideration, your lost benefits will be paid back to you.
There are three types of Reconsideration: case review, informal, or formal conference. However, if your application for
SSDI or SSI is denied for medical reasons, you can usually only get a case review.
If your reconsideration or waiver is denied, you may request a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) with the
Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODAR). At the hearing you may appear in person, submit new evidence, examine the evidence used in making the determination or decision under review, and present and question witnesses.
The ALJ who holds the hearing may ask you questions. He or she will write a decision based on the hearing record. If you waive your right to appear at the hearing, the ALJ will make a decision based on the evidence that is already in the file.
When you are receiving SSI or SSDI and then start working, your benefits could be cut if you are working and earning too much. (This is known as “Substantial Gainful Activity” or
“SGA”). 10 days after you get the tentative notice, a notice that your payments will stop will be sent to you. Request a reconsideration immediately. To protect yourself, it is best to make a new application at the same time you request a

The People’s Guide


If you are considering going back to work, know your rights.
Call Protection and Advocacy Services at (800) 7765746 and ask for their booklet, “Disability and Work.”

You can get recorded information about CAPI in a number of languages at the CAPI service center’s toll free number 24 hours a day:(800) 929-8118.
If you want additional information about applying for CAPI, you can leave a message at the toll free number, and your phone call will be returned as soon as possible. All calls are confidential. What is CAPI?
Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (“CAPI”) is a cash benefit program for low-income people who are aged 65 and older, are blind, or who have a disability that meet the general eligibility requirements for SSI but are not eligible for
SSI because of their immigration status. (See pg. 65 “What
Benefits Are Available to Immigrants”)

Sacramento County residents may file an application at the:
Department of Human Assistance
1725 28th Street, Sacramento, CA 95816

CAPI benefit amounts are similar to SSI ($10 less for one person, $20 less for a couple). Like SSI, benefits are lower if you share housing or don’t pay your full share of household expenses. If you are eligible for CAPI you may also be eligible for MediCal, Food Stamps and In Home Supportive Services but you will need to apply for these separately.
To get CAPI, you must first attempt to get SSI (see the Social
Security offices below.) If you are turned down for SSI only because of your immigration status, you may qualify for CAPI.

Apply at these offices for Social Security: Social Security Disability: SSI: and Medicare
Apply at these offices first if you are a noncitizen who may be eligible for CAPI
40 MASSIE CIRCLE 95823 (916) 689-5293 2444 MARCONI AVE 95821 (916) 979-2019



(916) 381-9410


(916) 373-3850

West Sacramento:



The People’s Guide

Veterans’ Services
Can I Get Veterans’ Services?
Veterans Services is responsible for providing benefit entitlement determinations, claim development, claim filing, advocacy, and case management services to the veterans population of Sacramento County.
You can qualify for services if you are a :
• WWII or Korean veteran or surviving spouse of one
• Vietnam veteran
• Enduring Freedom & Iraqi veteran
• Peacetime veterans
• Homeless veterans
Available benefits are primarily from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), but Veterans Services also assists in obtaining earned veterans’ benefits from the State of
California and local government entities.
Veterans Services is also responsible for administering the
College Fee Waiver Program for Veterans’ Dependents.
This program is afforded to spouses, unmarried surviving spouses, and children of service-connected disabled or service related deceased veterans. Eligible dependents are not required to pay “mandatory system wide” tuition and fees while attending either a California community college, a campus of the California State University (Cal State) system, or a campus of the University of California (UC) system. This program not only provides eligible dependents with the incentive, but also the opportunity, to pursue their goals. DHA Veterans Services can assist with the following:
Service-Connected Disability Compensation Benefits
• Non Service-Connected Disability Pension Benefits
• Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC) Benefits
• Death Pension Benefits
• Aid & Attendance Entitlement
• VA Medical Care Eligibility & Access
• Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits
• California College Fee Waiver Program
• VA Life Insurance
• State Veterans Homes
• Requests for Military Records
• Discharge Upgrade Information
• Burial Benefits
• Other Ancillary Benefits & Programs
Contact Veterans Services
Please contact a Veterans Claims Representative (VCR) for a veterans’ benefits entitlement determination interview.
Visit or contact Veterans Services at:
Sacramento County, Veterans Service Office
2007 19th Street (between T and U Streets)
Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 874-6811
FAX: (916) 874-8868
The office hours are:
Monday through Friday (excluding County holidays)
8:00am - 4:00pm (Walk in Clients)
8:00am - 5:00pm (Telephone Inquiries)

The People’s Guide


General Assistance
Can I Get General Assistance?
General Assistance (GA) is a program for people who have almost no money at all and don’t qualify for unemployment benefits, CalWORKs or Social Security Programs. GA has a lot of rules and doesn’t provide much money .
1. Residence
To qualify for GA, you must reside in Sacramento County for at least 15 days and intend to remain here.
2. Cash and Resource Limits
You cannot have more than a certain amount in cash or in a bank account when you apply. However, you can own the following resources, as long as they do not exceed the maximum limits. For current limits, visit http://www.dha.saccounty. net/benefits/Pages/default.aspx#ga or call (916) 874-2063.
• Car(s)
• Personal property
• Necessary household furnishings and tools and supplies needed for rehabilitation or self-sufficiency.
• The house you live in.
If you live with your spouse, his or her income will be counted in deciding if you are eligible, unless your spouse receives
3. Time Limits
If you are able to work, DHA will classify you as “employable.”
If you are “employable,” you can only receive GA for 3 months in any 12-month period.
If you are unable to work, DHA will classify you as “unemployWhat Are The GA Benefits? able” and you will not have a time limit.

your status.
Every GA applicant has a right to request “expedited” CalFesh
(food stamps) (see pg. 13 - Emergency Food Stamps).
If you are eligible, DHA must issue you food stamps within three days of your application if you are eligible to receive expedited food stamps.
Make sure that your worker has a good address for you; otherwise, you may miss important notices from DHA. Your home address and mailing address do not have to be the same. If you are homeless, you can use the DHA address to pick up your mail, but if you do, you must check your mail once a week. Some community organizations and shelters provide free mail service.
You must be helped if you are in the office before it closes. If you need help immediately, you should receive it. If anyone does not let you apply or tells you to come back the next day, insist on speaking to a worker, and then a supervisor, and then the deputy director, if necessary.
The county has 30 calendar days to approve your case and issue you GA benefits. Your benefits will be issued to you on an Electronic Benefits Transfer (“EBT”) card. When your EBT card is issued to you, you will also select a personal identification number (“PIN”). Using your EBT card and your PIN, you can access your benefits through any ATM. Your DHA worker should provide you with a list of ATMs in the area.
This list will let you know which ATMs are free and which ones charge a fee.
2. If You Think You Are Unable to Work
If you are disabled you may want to apply for SSI first (see pg. 26 - SSI). You may apply for GA while you wait on SSI.
You can ask the county to help you apply for SSI. If you get
GA because you are unemployable you must apply for SSI.
If you are disabled, apply for GA as “unemployable”. You should bring any medications, prescriptions, private doctor’s statement, or other proof about your disability.

1. Basic Benefits

If DHA decides that you can work, you can appeal.

GA benefits provide monthly cash aid in Sacramento County.
In addition to the cash aid, a bus pass is provided.

Make sure you go to all appointments because you may be denied GA if you don’t.

Once approved, you can earn up to money each month with no loss of benefits.

3. If You Need Special Assistance

Go to the DHA office to apply for GA. Not all DHA offices take
GA applications. (see pg. 68 for DHA Offices).
Be prepared for a long day, but remember that you have the right to apply. Tell the worker at DHA that you need GA. You will have to fill out an application. Bring with you identification and papers that prove your income, resources and citizenship (your birth certificate is best but other documents can work). If you are an immigrant bring documents that indicate


DHA must help if you need it. If you cannot read or write, they must help you with their forms. If you have a mental disability, they must refer you to a mental health worker for evaluation. The evaluation can establish you as a Needs Special
Assistance (“NSA”) recipient. NSA recipients are approved for
GA promptly. In addition, “NSA” participants are protected from some sanctions, work and other program requirements, and denials of aid.
If you request an evaluation by a mental health worker, but do

The People’s Guide

not get one, you may demand that you be classified as “medically unemployable” for 30 days. You will be exempt from work requirements until you get a mental health evaluation.
4. Emergency Money
If you have an emergency you may be able to get some money right away. This is called “immediate need.” Ask DHA about this. If they do not help you, call Legal Services (pg. 70).

What Are My Rights?
Make sure to get a receipt showing the time and date you submitted the form. If your QR-7 gets lost, or you do not turn it in, your case will be terminated at the end of the month.
1. Hearings

If you are employable, you will be required to attend job training. If your case is going to be terminated or your benefits are reduced, you have a right to a GA hearing. You must request the hearing within 10 days of the action. The County must hand-issue you a “Notice of Action” seven (7) days before a hearing or 8 days if mailed. The date and time of the hearing will appear on the notice. Your benefits cannot be cut off or reduced without a hearing unless you do not go to the hearing (see Pg. 62 “Hearings and Complaints”).

2. If You Are Classified “Unemployable”

2. Penalties

If DHA says you are disabled, you will not need to go to job training When you are no longer disabled, you will need to go to job training and your GA will be limited to 3 months in each 12-month period.

If you do not go to your GA hearing, or you lose your GA hearing, your case will be terminated (with or without a sanction) or your benefits will be reduced. If you receive a sanction and you have not been sanctioned in the past 365 days you can re-apply at once. If this is the second sanction in a year, you can re-apply in 30 days. After the third penalty in a year, you have to wait 60 days to re-apply.

What Are The Requirements?
1. If You Are Able to Work

3. Reports
You are required to report all changes within five (5) days. In addition, you must fill out a QR-7 report every third month.
THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! On the quarterly report, you will be asked to report your income, property and household composition. You will also be required to report any changes in your income, property or household composition.
If you get the form in the mail, you must fill it out and return it to the DHA office by the 5th day of the month. You should get a report form before or on the first day of the month. If you don’t get it in the mail, you may call the automated phone system at (916) 874-3100 to request a form be mailed, or go to the DHA office to complete the form.

3. If You Begin to Get SSI
GA is a “loan” from the county. If you begin to receive SSI, the amount you received on GA will be automatically deducted from your first SSI check.
4. After Time Limits
If your General Assistance is stopped due to the time limits:
• You can continue to get food stamps.
• You can continue to receive free and low cost health care under the Affordable Care Act.
If you become “unemployable” while you are timed off of
GA, reapply for GA and provide verification that you are “unemployable.” If they find you are unemployable, you will be eligible to once again receive GA and you will not be subject to time limits. Bring proof of unemployability with you to your assessment meeting.

The People’s Guide


Can I Get Help With Bus Money?
Low income residents in Sacramento can get help with bus tickets in the following ways:
1) Department of Human Assistance (DHA) – DHA will provide an RT monthly pass to General Assistance participants.
CalWorks recipients can get money for transportation to and from their welfare to work assignment.
Francis House – Francis House provides bus tokens, gas vouchers, help obtaining birth certificates, California IDs and drivers licenses necessary to obtain jobs. 1422 C Street
Sacramento, CA 95814-0916. Phone; (916) 443-2646
3) Volunteers of America – purchases tickets and distributes them based on their own criteria. See pg. 6 for different locations serving families and singles.
Discount fares are available on the RT bus lines.
Seniors (age 62 and over) – For ndividuals with disabilities and Medicare cardholders, proof of identification is required upon boarding, and can include an RT senior or Disabled photo ID card, a Senior or Disabled photo ID card issued by another transit agency, a driver’s license, a State of California
ID card, a passport or identification card issued by any governmental entity containing a photo of the cardholder (and also showing verification of agefor Seniors only). Attendants of individuals with disabilities may ride for the Discount fare if possessing an RT Disabled photo ID card with an Attendant eligibility notation.
Super Senior (age 75+) - Proof of age verification is required to purchase a Super Senior monthly sticker. The Super Senior monthly sticker is only available for purchase at RT’s Customer
Service and Sales Center located at 1225 R Street.
Students (age 5 - 18) - To qualify, you must be pursuing a high school diploma. You will be eligible to purchase RT monthly student stickers with an RT Student photo ID card.
RT Student stickers must be affixed to an RT Student photo
ID card, not a school ID. Students are eligible to purchase single fares and daily passes with their school ID.
Class Pass - RT offers the Class Pass, which permits unlimited use for groups traveling during the hours of 9 a.m.-3:30
p.m. The Class Pass is available to any group with 10 or more students who are pursuing a high school diploma. The cost of the Class Pass is $2.50 for each student and $5 for each accompanying adult. To ensure that you have the most current price, visit or call
(916) 321-BUSS (2877).
RT Customer Service Representatives are available to answer questions about your group travel.
Please call RT at 321-BUSS (2877) at least 10 working days before your day of travel. RT photo ID cards are only available at RT’s Photo Identification Center located at 1225 R Street,


Can I Get Help With Car Insurance and Smog Check?
Sacramento 95811, in the Customer Service and Sales Center.
1. Low Cost Car Insurance
Low income drivers in Sacramento County can purchase special auto insurance for at a discounted rate. Call (800) 622-0954 to find the agent nearest you from the California Automobile
Assigned Risk Plan (CAARP.) You must verify your income with tax returns and also show a valid driver’s license, current vehicle registration, and proof of ownership of vehicle.
To be eligible you must live in Sacramento County; you must be at least 19 years old and have been driving for at least 3 years without losing your license. An agent will determine if you meet the income and car requirements to qualify for CAARP.
Also, in the last 3 years you cannot have:
• Been responsible for an accident involving bodily injury or death • Had more than one property damage accident in which you were at fault
• More than one point for a moving violation
You also cannot be a college student claimed as a dependent on someone else’s taxes.
2. Help With Smog Check
The State’s Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) provides financial assistance for low income consumers whose vehicles don’t pass smog check. If you qualify they can help pay for repairs that will allow your car to pass. You must pay a copayment. The program is limited to available funds. Call the
Department of Consumer Affairs (800) 952-5210 for information and to apply. Don’t do any repairs until you are notified that you’ve been approved.

Can I Get Help With Transportation if I’m Disabled?
1. Do I Qualify For Paratransit?
You may be eligible for ADA paratransit service if, as a result of your specific disability or health-related condition:
• You are unable to travel to or from transit stops or stations within the service area; or
• You are unable to independently board, ride or exit an accessible fixed-route (bus orlight rail) vehicle; or
• You cannot independently “navigate the system” even if you are able to get to a transit stop and can get on and off the vehicle. (Example: A person who can’t ride the bus independently, recognize bus stops, understand how to

The People’s Guide

complete bus trips, determinethe fare, etc.)
2. How Do I Register for Paratransit, Inc., Services
Contact Regional Transit (RT) for an application and to set up an eligibility interview. To receive an application, call RT at (916) 557-4685 or TDD line (916) 557-4686.

the instructions after dialing to reach the right unit. Shorter notice without a compelling reason could result in service interruption. Cancellations
(916) 429-2744
7. What If My Ride Is Late or I Am Delayed?
If Your Ride is Late
If You are Delayed

3. How Do I Book A Ride?
Once you are approved for Paratransit you can call to set up rides. Ride requests must be made 1 to 2 days in advance. There is no same-day emergency service. Reservationists are on duty daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
(including holidays) to book, schedule, and confirm your travel plans and “Ready Times”. Call the ride reservation line at
(916) 429-2744 or (800) 956-6776 or TDD (for hearing impaired) (916) 429-2568.
You must provide: your name, your Paratransit ID number; your address; your telephone number; the destination address and telephone number and your preferred pick-up time (Ready Time). Please expect the vehicle to arrive for you within a half hour of your “Ready Time”.
4. What Are Days and Hours of Service?
Paratransit trips are available seven days a week, including holidays, from 6 a.m. through 12:30 a.m. (just after midnight). Limited trips are available prior to 6 a.m. and after 12:30 a.m. within 3/4 of a mile of RT bus and light rail service in operation. You will be picked up within 30 minutes after the Ready Time negotiated. You must board the bus within five minutes of arrival at your pick-up location. If you aren’t ready, the driver must leave without you and your trip status will be recorded as a “no show.”
5. How Much Does It Cost?

(916) 429-2009 extension 3
(916) 429-2009 extension 3

8. What Is The Service Area?
Paratransit does not currently provide service to Roseville or
West Sacramento. They service most other urban communities served by the Sacramento Regional Transit District.
Sacramento Carmichael
Fair Oaks
Folsom (to/from Light Rail Stations only)
Rancho Cordova Citrus Heights
Rio Linda
North Highlands
*Elk Grove residents receive service from two providers, eVan or Paratransit, Inc., depending on the trip location.
Please contact eVan for details at (916) 683-8726 or online at:

Wheels to Work: Transportation
Help for Homeless and Others
Wheels to Work provides counselors and Internet enabled computer workstations which help homeless people and others who don’t normally have access to the Internet find transportation and related services aimed at securing employment. Wheels to Work vans are staffed by employment specialists from several local organizations. For more info, please call the Paratransit Mobility Management Center RideQuest: (916) 429-2009 x 7229

Paratransit requires exact change each time you board.
Each one-way trip is $5.00. No fare is required for one personal care attendant. All other accompanying guests must pay the applicable fare. Drivers (including taxidrivers) must collect fares upon boarding, so please have the exact fare ready as they cannot give change. To purchase ride coupons or a monthly pass, call (916) 429-2009.
Please Note: Trip fares are subject to change.
Airport trips are $50.00 each way because they are outside our service area.
6. How Do I Cancel a Trip?
The Cancel Line is open 24 hours. The minimum cancellation notice required for trips that are not needed is two
(2) hours in advance of the scheduled pickup time. If your travel plans change or you will not be ready to board at your “ready time,” please call (916) 429-2009 and listen to

The People’s Guide


Union Gospel Mission

Capitol City Adventist Community Services

*400 North Bannon Street, Sacramento, 95814;
(916) 447-3268. Women's emergency clothes including shoes, dresses and maybe maternity clothes.

6701 Lemon Hill Ave., Sacramento, CA 95824
(916) 381-5353. Serves zip codes 95820, 95822, 95823,
95824, 95828, 95829. Open one Monday each month: call first to verify.

*4151 Don Julio Blvd, North Highlands, 95660;
(916) 332-7749. On the Third Friday of each month, free food and Clothes are given from 2:00pm to 5:00pm. A picture ID is needed.

Carmichael Adventist Community Services
4600 Winding Way, Sacramento, CA 95841
(916) 487-8684. Offers a clothes closet to zip codes 95608,
95609, 95610, 95621, 95821, 95840 and 95841.

Sacramento Food Bank And Family Services

Freemont Presbyterian Church Clothes Closet

3333 Third Avenue, Sacramento, 95817;
(916) 456-1980; Free men’s, women’s, children’s, and infant’s emergency clothing. Includes suits for interviews, school uniforms, and seasonal weather attire. 5570 Carlson, Sacramento, CA.
(916) 453-7132. By appointment and referral only. Clothes closet for children enrolled in the Sacramento City School

Hours: Mon,Tues, Thurs, Fri 10 am-1:30 pm and Wed 4 pm-7 pm Elk Grove Food Bank Clothes Closet
9820 Dino Drive, Ste. 140, Elk Grove, CA 95624
(916) 685-8453. Need ID and proof of income (no ID required if homeless.) Serves zips 95624, 95757, 95758, 95823, 95828,
95829, 95830, 95683, 95793, 95759 and homeless.

Serves residents of Sacramento County, and the homeless.
Clients may visit once each calendar month. Please bring photo ID with you.
St Vincent De Paul
7580 Center Parkway, Sacramento, CA 95823,
(916) 733-2010. For families in zip code 95823.

Dress for Career Advancement Clothes Closet
4990 Stockton Blvd., Sacramento, CA.
(916) 875-3330. Provides gently used professional and business-casual attire for low-income men and women entering the job market.
Daughters of Zion
6489 47th Street, Sacramento, CA 95823;
(916) 422-3875. Offers nearly new clothing to needy families on the Thursdays from 1-3 p.m.
First Baptist Church of North Sacramento
2601 Del Paso Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95815;
(916) 922-9365. Provides clothes for needy people. Open
Mondays and Wednesdays 9-11:30am.
Native TANF Program
3831 North Freeway Blvd, Suite 100, Sacramento, 95834; (916)
920-3150. Offers clothing to income eligible Native Americans.
Orangevale 7th Day Adventist

San Juan Unified School District Clothes Closet
7200 Fair Oaks Blvd., Suite 100, Carmichael, CA. 95608
(916) 971-7643. Appointment and referral only. M - F, 8 5:p.m. Offers free clothes closet for children in the school district. How to make clothing and other household items donation, including furniture, toys and books:
1. Visit
2. Enter your zipcode
3. Schedule your free pick up
Loaves & Fishes Wash House
1321 N. C Street, Sacramento, 95811
(916) 443-7378
In addition to a shower and shaving and toiletry items, a laundered change of clothes is available to men every weekday. Loaves & Fishes Jail Visitation

5810 Pecan Ave, Orangevale, 95662;
(916) 967-0405 - Hours 9 - 12:00p.m. Tuesday

1321 N. C Street, Sacramento, 95811
(916) 447-9472

Clients can use the clothes closet once a month. Zip code
95662 only.

Staff and volunteers visit inmates at the Sacramento County Jail and advocates on their behalf. Provides bus passes, clothing vouchers, toiletry kits, backpacks and referrals as needed upon release from jail.


The People’s Guide

Guide for Non-Citizens
What Benefits Are Available To
Immigrants can get many kinds of help from the government even if they don’t have a “green card.” For help with other immigration and citizenship issues see the list of agencies at the end of the chapter on pg. 66.
1. Benefits Available To All Immigrants
All immigrants, including those without documents, can qualify for the following kinds of help:
Health Care: Prenatal Care; Emergency Medi-Cal; Minor
Consent Medi-Cal; Regional Centers; California Children’s
Service; CHDP and Immunizations for kids.
Food Programs: WIC; School Breakfast & Lunch; Help from food pantries.
Other Help: Help from Shelters; Public Education; and services from many non-profit agencies.
These programs don’t have immigration requirements and if you are undocumented, you may qualify. You do not need to tell anyone that you or anyone else who lives with you are undocumented. Your workers do not need to ask about your immigration status if you are not getting benefits for yourself. If they do ask you, simply tell them that you are a
“not qualified” immigrant (“not qualified” is not the same as undocumented). That is all they need to know.
If a school or child care center asks for your social security number on a form, you can write “none” on the form or leave it blank. They may not give the information on that form to a government agency.
2. Victims of Trafficking, Domestic Violence, and Other
Serious Crimes
California law provides eligible non-citizens who are victims of trafficking, domestic violence and other serious crimes access to benefits equal to those available for refugees.
• Victims of trafficking may qualify before they are certified by the federal government as victims.
• Victims of domestic violence and other serious crimes may qualify once they have applied for a U visa/interim relief.
• You do not need a social security number to apply.
3. Benefits Available To Lawfully Present Immigrants
Most lawfully present immigrants, such as legal permanent residents, refugees, asylees, and persons granted withholding of deportation, can get CalFresh (food assistance) benefits,
CalWORKS, General Assistance, County healthcare, Housing
Assistance, and Medi-Cal. If they have a sponsor, the sponsor’s income may count as part of their income for five years.

Refugees who have been in the country less than 8 months and persons who were granted asylum less than 8 months before, can also be eligible for Refugee Cash Assistance
(generally this is for able bodied adults without children.
Victims of trafficking may also qualify for Refugee Cash Assistance once they receive certification. Call the local DHA office listed on page 68.
Social Security: If you are a non-citizen who has paid into the Social Security system as a worker or had money taken out of your paycheck for this program, you may qualify for
Social Security disability, retirement or survivor benefits (see
Social Security, pg. 56).
SSI: If you are a low-income non-citizen in the U.S. who has a disability is blind, or over 65 years old, you can get SSI if:
• You were lawfully residing in the U.S. on August 22, 1996, and are blind or disabled.
• You are a refugee, asylee or were granted withholding of deportation/removal, but only during the seven years after getting this status.
• You are a current or veteran U.S. military personnel
• You are a lawful permanent resident with credit for 40 quarters (about 10 years) of work in the U.S. There are special rules in which quarters worked by your spouse or parents may count; ask the worker.
CAPI: If you are an immigrant who has a disability, is blind or
65 years old or older and you are not eligible for SSI because of your immigration status, you may be able to get CAPI (Cash
Assistance Program for Immigrants). See page 58.
Translation: If you speak limited English and you need to apply for government benefits, Department of Human Assistance and the Social Security Administration must provide you with an interpreter or connect you to a telephone interpreter service, at no cost to you.

What Are Immigrant
Workers’ Rights?
Regardless of your immigration status, you have the right to receive minimum wage, overtime and safe working conditions. You also have the right to be free from harassment and discrimination. If your rights as a worker are being violated, contact the state Labor Commissioner’s Office at (916)
263-1811 to complain. If you have legal work papers, it is illegal for employers to commit on-the-job discrimination, or deny a job because a worker is from another country.
You can also get help from the Voluntary Legal Services
Program Employment Law Clinic. Call (916) 551-2102 for information.

The People’s Guide


persons called “indigence exceptions”. The rules for there are different for each program. Ask about this when you apply.

Can Using Benefits Affect My
Immigration Status?

If you have a question or problem with “sponsor deeming” contact one of the agencies listed at the end of this page.

1. What Is Public Charge?
If you are applying to become a lawful permanent resident
(green card holder) and you are using health care programs
(such as Medi-Cal , In Home Supportive Services, or Healthy
Families) or CalFresh, it will not hurt your chances of getting your green card by making you a "public charge". You might have a problem getting your green card if you have used cash welfare or long-term care (like a nursing home) depending on your situation. Cash aid for your children or other family members will not effect your immigration status unless it is your family’s only income.
Officials will look at many factors, including your age, your health, your entire family’s (or sponsor’s) income and resources to determine whether in the future you will be likely to need to rely on cash welfare to live. Past use of cash benefits may not count against you, for example if it was several years ago that you received the benefits or if it was only for a short period of time.
You do not have to worry about public charge if you already have a green card (unless you leave the US for more than 6 months at a time and try to re-enter), or if you are applying for citizenship, are a refugee or asylee, or are applying for a green card based on having lived in the US since before 1972.
Victims of domestic violence who file a self-petition under the
Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) are subject to the "public charge" test. However, they can use all benefits, including cash welfare, without affecting this decision.
The government should not demand that you repay any welfare you correctly received as a condition of giving you legal status. If this happens, call one of the immigrant advocate agencies. 2. Sponsors
Most new immigrants entering into the U.S. through family members are required to have a sponsor sign an “affidavit of support” form. This form is a promise to the government that the sponsor will help to provide economic support for any sponsored immigrants.
If you are a sponsored immigrant and you want to apply for certain government benefits, your sponsor’s income and resources may be added to yours in determining your eligibility for benefits (this is called “deeming”). This deeming rule makes the income of many immigrants too high to qualify for benefits. There is no deeming if you are applying for health care programs, only for CalFresh and cash assistance programs. Deeming does not apply to some immigrants, including: refugees, asylees, parolees, victims of domestic violence who have filed a “self-petition” for an immigrant visa, or certain other immigrants who are not required to have a sponsor. In addition, some programs have exception for very low income


What If Im Detained by ICE?
If you are arrested by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE):
• You should emain silent, or tell the ICE agent that you want to remain silent.
• Ask to speak with a lawyer. Do not sign any documents without first speaking with a lawyer.
• Do not carry false documents.
• Find out the name and phone number of a reliable immigration attorney and keep this information with you at all times. • Know your "A" number (alien registration number) if you have one, and write it down someplace at home where your family members know where to find it.
• Prepare a form or document that authorizes another adult to care for your minor children.
• Advise family members who do not want to be questioned by ICE to stay away from the place where you are being detained.

Groups That Help With Immigration
And Citizenship
California Hispanic Resource Council
(916) 451-7151. Assists with Immigration Processing, citizenship, and other immigration matters. Self-petitioning visa assistance for battered spouses of United States citizens or lawful permanent residents.
Catholic Charities Immigration Program
(916) 443-5367. Immigration counseling and citizenship services. Sacramento Chinese Community Service Center
(916) 442-2523
Slavic Community Center of Sacramento
(916) 485-6410
US Citizenship and Immigration Services
(800) 375-5283. Federal agency administering the immigration and nationality laws. Includes examinations for nonimmigrant, immigrant, and naturalization applications.
Immigration - Resettlement
Opening Doors - Good Neighbors of Sacramento
(916) 492-2591. Initial resettlement of new refugees through Church World Service Immigration and Refugee program and Lutheran Immigration and Refugee service.

If your child is undocumented, Sacramento Covered can refer you to a healthcare program with Kaiser Permanente.
Call 1-866-850-4321 for more information.

The People’s Guide

Hearings and Complaints
If your CalFresh, CalWORKs, Medi-Cal, In Home Supportive
Services or CAPI benefits are reduced or stopped by the welfare office and you don’t agree, you should file for a fair hearing with the California Department of Social Services.

representative does not have it ready for you to see before the hearing, you may request that the hearing be postponed to give you the chance to read the statement. This postponement does not count against you.

In a fair hearing, you will have a chance to explain what happened to you, and after hearing your side and the welfare office’s side, an impartial referee will decide who wins. If someone calls you and says that you don’t have a case, continue to insist on a hearing until you have received adequate legal advice.

The hearings representative may offer to settle your case.
This is called a conditional withdrawal. Think about this carefullly. If you agree with what the county is offering, you can accept the conditional withdrawal. If not, you can reject it and go to the hearing. You can also try to negotiate for a deal that you like.

You must be sent a written notice 10 days before any action is taken that will reduce or stop your benefits. The notice must explain clearly the reasons for the action. If you disagree with this action and you formally request a fair hearing before the date the action takes effect, then under most circumstances your aid will not be cut until the hearing (unless it ends for another reason, like your certification period ended).

If you are disabled, or homebound, hearings can be held by phone, at the welfare office or in your home, but you must ask for this in your hearing request.

If you do not ask for a fair hearing before the date the action takes place, your aid may be reduced or cut, but you still may fight the action if you ask for the hearing within 90 days of the date the notice was mailed. Save the envelope your notice came in and a copy of your fair hearing request so you will have proof that you met the required deadline.
You can ask for a hearing after that if you have a good reason for filing late.

You must also be provided with an interpreter for the hearing at no cost if English is not your first language.
After your hearing, call the toll-free number and complain if the state takes longer than 60 days to get a decision about food stamps, or 90 days if the hearing was about CalWORKs or Medi-Cal. These are usually the maximum amounts of time that are permitted to decide such cases (starting on the date of your request for hearing). If your hearing decision takes longer than 90 days and you have never continued it, you must get extra money for the delay, if the decision is granted in your favor.

If you do not win the hearing and you are still convinced you
To request the fair hearing, you may fill out and return the are right, you can request a rehearing, within 30 days or file form on the back of the notice or write a letter doing so in an appeal in court within 1 year. your own words.
More Advice:
You can also request the hearing by calling the toll-free number set up for this purpose, (800) 952-5253. You should call For hearings about GA or County health care in Sacramento early; they open at 7:30 AM. The line is often busy, so keep County, you have only 10 days to request a hearing with the trying. Remember to write down the name of the person you County. The back of the Notice of Action should tell you how to ask for a hearing. spoke with.
You cannot make a hearing request with your worker or any other County staff. You must either call the 800 number or send the written request to the Appeals and State Hearing section. The state will send you a notice with the date, time, and place of your hearing. Usually, this happens within 3 or 4 weeks. Currently, in the CalFresh program, anytime before the hearing, you can request a delay (“postponement”) of the hearing in order to have more time to prepare or to get an attorney or advocate. In other aid programs, or to get a second postponement, you must have a very good reason
(“good cause”).

Seek advice and assistance. Talk to a legal worker or a well-informed friend or community person about your situation.
Keep good records and save all papers that an agency gives or mails to you. Write down the name and time of anyone you speak with in person or over the phone and the time you had the conversation.
You have a right to see your case file and to copy anything you need in it. You have a right to see any regulations or instructions that apply to your situation.

If you are disabled, the law says that the welfare office must help you, so ask for help you need when you request
You may be called or get a letter from the county hearings a hearing. If you are treated unfairly because of a disability representative assigned to your case. The hearings representa- or health problem, send a complaint letter to the Civil Rights tive will be presenting the county’s side at the hearing. The Division, U.S. Dept. of Justice, P.O. Box 66118, Washington hearings representative will also write up the county’s side DC 20035-6118. at least 2 days before the hearing. You have the right to get a copy of the county’s position statement. If the hearings

The People’s Guide


DHA Offices
Pat Wright Building


1725 28th Street, Sacramento, 95816
(916) 874-2072
Lobby Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

2101 Arena Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95834
(916) 876-8440. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Programs: CalFresh, Medi-Cal (Continuing) Service Center only. Documents can be put in a drop box in the parking lot.

Programs: CalWORKs (Continuing) and CAPI (Intake and
Continuing) CalFresh.

Primary Care Center
4600 Broadway, Suite 2600 Sacramento, CA 95820
(916) 874-9238
Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Programs: County Medically Indigent Services Program
(CMISP) and AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP)

3960 Research Drive, Sacramento, CA 95838
(916) 648-0894
Lobby Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Fulton Office
2700 Fulton Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95821
(916) 874-3800
Lobby Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Programs: CalFresh, CalWORKs (Intake and Continuing),
Medi-Cal (Intake) and Job Talk Session (every Monday at
1:30 p.m.)

North Highlands
5747 Watt Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95660
(916) 876-8000 Lobby
Hours: Mon - Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Programs: CalFresh, CalWORKs (Intake and Continuing) Job
Talk Session (every Wednesday at 9:30 a.m.)

Fair Hearings

2007 19th Street, Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 874-6811 Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Programs: County and State Hearings Quality Control

Child Care

10013 Folsom, Suite 1, Sacramento, 95827
(916) 875-8600. Lobby Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Programs: CalFresh, CalWORKs (Intake and Continuing) and
Job Talk Session (every Tuesday at 10 a.m.)

Bowling Green
4433 Florin Road, Suite 160, Sacramento, CA 95823
(916) 875-3800. LobbyHours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Program: CalWORKs (Continuing) and Job Talk Session (every
Tuesday at 2:00 p.m.)

257 South Lincoln Way, Galt, CA 95632 (209) 745-3484 Toll Free from Sacramento: 875-5046 • 8755067 • 875-5068 Lobby Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Programs: CalWORKs (Intake and Continuing) and CalFresh

Susie Gaines-Mitchell
2450 Florin Road, Sacramento, 95822
(916) 875-8100 Lobby Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. to 4:00
Programs: CalFresh, CalWORKs (Intake), Medi-cal (Intake) and Job Talk Session (every Wednesday at 9:00

UCD Med Center (Davis II)
2420 Stockton Boulevard, Sacramento, 95817
(916) 734-1600
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Programs: Medi-cal County Medically Indigent Services
Program (CMISP) and Medi-Cal
County Medically Indigent Services Program (CMISP) Clients are referred by UCD Medical Center.

Franklin One Stop

2001 19th Street, Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 874-6000 Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Programs: Child Care Payment Unit

Veterans Services

7000 Franklin Boulevard, Sacramento, 95822
(916) 262-3200 Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Program: CalWORKs (Continuing)

Social Services Complex

2007 19th Street, Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 874-6811 Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
(walk-in clients) Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (telephone inquiries) Employment and Business Services
4990 Stockton Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95820
(916) 875-3330 Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Programs: Job Talk Session (every Monday at 1:00 p.m.) and Job Club/Job Search Program(s)


Rancho Cordova

1590 North A Street, Sacramento, 95814
(916) 874-4301 Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Programs: Aid-In-Kind (Intake: Referral Only), Shelter Care
Plus (Referral Only), Pathways (AOD: Open to the community),
Adolfo (Formerly Foster Youth Program) and the Resource Room

Sacramento Works One Stop
5655 Hillsdale Boulevard, Sacramento, 95842
(916) 263-4100

The People’s Guide

Where to Get Income Support
Services in Sacramento

The People’s Guide


Good Advice
Assistance with form completion, procedural instructions, service of documents, and referrals for family law and probate self represented litigants. Areas of service include dissolution of marriage, legal separation, nullity, establishment of paternity, child custody and visitation,
General Referrals child and spousal support and guardianship. Services
For assistance, contact 2-1-1 Sacramento at 2-1-1 or delivered through workshop classes, clinics and individual
(916) 498-1000. Information and referral specialists are assistance. available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Superior Court of California - Guardianship
(916) 875-6357
Lawyer Referral and Information Service
Services to individuals or families who wish to become
(916) 564-6707 guardians of dependent children of the court.
Service for people requiring the services of an attorney.
Sets one-half hour consultation appointments with an at- Sacramento County Department of Child Support torney for any member of the public calling in. Operated
Services (866) 901-3212 by the Sacramento County Bar Association.
Establishes and enforces child support, available to both parents and children.
Legal Services of Northern California
517 12th Street
Sacramento, 95814
Sacramento District Attorney - Parental Child
Ab(916) 551-2195 duction Unit (916) 875-8750
Free legal services to low-income eligible clients in civil
Enforces custody orders and rights of individuals who are law matters such as housing, health, welfare, Social Seresidents of Sacramento County at the time their custody curity, unemployment, discrimination, and education. order or right is violated. Investigative assistants and attorneys work to locate and reunite custodial parents with their
Superior California Legal Clinics children who have been unlawfully taken and concealed by a
(916) 972-1188 non-custodial parent, relative, or family friend.
Family law services for the low- and middle-income consumer including: divorce (divorce counseling), nullities,
Sacramento Child Advocates (916) 364-5686 legal separation, custody, bankruptcy, wills, restraining
Represents children in dependency and other legal proceedorders and more. ings involving the care, custody or control of a minor.

Legal Aid Organizations

Disability Rights California
100 Howe Ave Suite 185-N
Sacramento, 95825
(916) 488-9950
Toll Free: 800.776.5746 / TTY 800.719.5798 Disability Rights California’s mission is to advance the rights of Californians with disabilities.
California Indian Legal Services
3814 Auburn Blvd, Ste. 72
Sacramento, 95821
(916) 978-9600
(800) 820-0284 Specialized legal representation for Native Americans including some free and low cost representation on appropriate issues.

Child Custody And Support

Welfare Cases
Coalition of California Welfare Rights Organizations
(916) 736-0616
Legal services back-up center for issues dealing with CalWORKs, Refugee Assistance, Food Stamps, General Assistance, Medi-Cal, Welfare Employment programs, litigation regarding these programs, and legislative/administrative advocacy. Legal Services
Senior Legal Hotline
Toll Free: (800) 222-1753
Sacramento County: (916) 551-2140
Fax: (916) 551-2197

Superior Court of California - Family Law Facilitator
(916) 875-3400


The People’s Guide

Superior California Legal Clinics
Senior Legal Hotline

Legal Services of Northern California
Sacramento County Public Defender

Coalition of California Welfare
Rights Organizations
McGeorge School of Law Clinic


Small Claims Unit
Family Law Facilitator

Legal Aid Services
Legal Aid Services
Major Roads
Bodies of Water

Sacramento Legal Assistance Map
HICAP Services of Northern California (HSNC)
Provides Medicare beneficiaries and interested persons professional, accurate, quality information and resources through individual counseling, community education and advocacy services.
Sacramento County: (916) 376-8915
California Health Advocates
(916) 376-8915
Health Rights Project (HRP)
Provides free assistance and information about your rights in health care.
(916) 551-2100
(916) 551-2158
Toll Free:
(888) 354-4474
(916) 551-2180

range of housing disputes in Sacramento County. Mediation is a voluntary and confidential process that brings disputing parties together in a safe and neutral setting to resolve conflicts using creative and flexible solutions that work for all parties involved. Free mediation services with
HMC are available where at least one party qualifies as low-income based on the federal poverty guidelines (not to exceed 200%), and the property in dispute is located in
Sacramento County.

Jail Visitation

Loaves & Fishes Jail Visitation
1321 N. C Street, Sacramento, 95811
(916) 447-9472
Ombudsman Services of Northern California
Staff and volunteers visit inmates at the Sacramento
Provides advocacy services for residents in long-term care County Jail and advocates on their behalf. Provides bus passes, clothing vouchers, toiletry kits, backpacks and facilities. referrals as needed upon release from jail. Advocates
Sacramento County: (916) 376-8910 interact with jail personnel, attorneys, court personnel
Pacific McGeorge Housing Mediation Center (HMC) or investigators. Staff also takes care of minor business concerning rehabilitative services.
(916) 383-1861
20 Bicentennial Circle, Suite 200, Sacramento 95826
HMC offers free mediation services to assist with a wide

The People’s Guide


Notes & Appointments


The People’s Guide

Notes & Appointments

The People’s Guide


Notes & Appointments


The People’s Guide

Notes & Appointments

The People’s Guide


Notes & Appointments


The People’s Guide

Notes & Appointments

The People’s Guide


Notes & Appointments


The People’s Guide


People’s Guide to


Order Form
English 

Spanish 

Number of Copies_________

$1.00 per copy = ___________
= ___________

Subtotal = ___________
7.750% Sales Tax = ___________

Sacramento County Sales Tax

Flat Mailing Cost = ___________
($2 for 5 copies or less. We will invoice you the exact cost of shipping orders of 6 or more)

Return To:
People’s Guide
Sacramento Housing Alliance
1800 21st Street, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95811
FAX: 916-455-4917

Total to be Invoiced = ___________
Billing Address:_____________________________________________
Shipping Address:___________________________________________
If different from billing

Phone/E Mail:_______________________________________________ The People’s Guide



People’s Guide to


The People’s Guide is not a directory, but a selfadvocacy tool to give homeless and low-income people an active role in making a difference in their own lives. The emphasis of the Guide is improving the information for homeless and low-income people to better access health care, housing, food, income, legal advice and employment from local, state and federal programs and community services in Sacramento County.

We all know that we live in hard times. Wages are not keeping up with increasing rents, leading to overcrowding and homelessness. Government budgets at all levels are either eliminating or making drastic cuts to human service budgets that are discussed in this Guide. Now more than ever, we need a guide for the people of Sacramento to advocate for themselves in order to access the programs that will help them through these difficult times.

• Poverty: In 2011, the amount of people living in pov-

erty in Sacramento County was 17.7%--higher than the state average of 16.6% and the national rate of 15.9%.
• Unemployment: At the end of 2013, Sacramento

County’s unemployment rate was 7.7%. This surpasses the national unemployment rate of 6.7%.

• Homelessness: According to the 2013 Homeless

Count, 4,998 people are homeless in Sacramento
County during the year, with 2,538 on any given night, 31% of whom lack any shelter.
• Homeless Students: The number of homeless K-12th

grade students in Sacramento County has increased from 4,774 in 2006 to nearly 11,962 in 2013.

• Lack of affordable housing: 33,218 of the County’s

lower-income rental households spend at 50% or more of their income on housing. In addition, renters in the county need to earn over $20 per hour, working 56 hours to afford a Fair Market Rent for a two-bedroom unit.

• Hunger: In 2012, there were 218,510 food insecure

individuals in Sacramento County.

Similar Documents

Free Essay


...Theory Charlie Salmon PSY/211 ESSENTIALS OF PSYCHOLOGY May 20, 2011 Alberta Robinson Theory Theory is something I use on a daily basis whether it be at work, at school or at home. Sometimes I even use theory when I am on vacation. At my previous job I used theory on everyday customers. When they come in, most of the time, just judging by their looks and body language I can usually predict on how much they will spend in the store. I do know that judging a person solely on his or her looks is not the proper way of judging, but unfortunately most of the time this is correct. Fortunately, I have had the chance to test out a theory I have while I was on vacation one year. I was on my way to Laughlin to go gamble at the casinos there during my visit to Las Vegas. I was in a hurry to get there because I didn’t want to spend all day driving. So on the way to Laughlin I had gotten pulled over by Highway Patrol for going to fast and unfortunately the officer gave me a speeding ticket. After that, I had the hunch that I was going to lose. And sure enough, I was right. Since then, every time I go to a casino to gamble and I rush to get there, I end up of losing Similarities between my research and that done by psychiatrists are very similar because both my research and a psychiatrist’s research are done by experimenting. I have experimented my theory and deemed it to be true. If I was given another opportunity to go back to my Las Vegas vacation, I would slow down and take my...

Words: 320 - Pages: 2

Premium Essay


...I. What is a concept? a. A building block of a theory, can be a few of them, b. abstract ideas that cannot be visualized. Such as pain or coping or social support. You can have an idea in your mind of what these are but you cant actually touch any of these. Can you touch social support? You can probably touch a part of your body that may feel some sense of pain but the actual concept itself cannot be touched. c. Tend to be universal which means they apply equally to everything related. d. Concepts tend to be the basic elements of propositions (or statements that result from reason). If you remember geometry they had the proposition they had the “if A equaled B and B equaled C.Does A equal C.” That is the idea of what propositions are and they take concepts and build on them to create these statements to help define whatever we are discussing such as theory, research study. e. Help to integrate unrelated phenomena into a hypothesis which creates research. Critical to have very defined concepts and the concepts needed to be created into hypothesis so that you had something to study. That is critical when we discuss concepts and research i. Phenomenon is any even that can be experiences via senses, it is observable and can be seen. ii. Proposition: closed sentence or statement 1. Like geometry: If A=B and B=C, then A=C 2. Tend to be true or false 3. Content of beliefs and or......

Words: 998 - Pages: 4

Premium Essay


...Shauna Clack-Davis DQ 1 Theories What is a theory? Theory is defined in the Webster as (an ideal or hypothetical set of facts, principles, or circumstances). In other words, theory is an explanation of how you view reality. When you talk about theory you should be able to clearly show how and why certain events occur. If your theory doesn’t come across in a way that people can understand it then that may just be considered as just a strong opinion. According to the readings in Chapter 2, Theories should not be confused with facts and theories should raise questions it should have your listeners researching the information that you have provided. Behaviorism (grand theory) The theory that I chose was behaviorism. Behaviorism is a grand theory of the human development and studies the observation of behavior. This theory is also a learning theory it explains the laws and the process as to how people learn to behave. According to John Watson, “if psychologists can focus on behavior, they will realize that everything can be learned.” I can apply this theory to several concepts as it relates to my Christian worldview. The first concept is prayer; the very first prayer that is learned is The Lord’s Prayer. Through behavior you learned this either listening to someone recite this prayer or you learned it by reading the bible. The second concept is worship. Worship is first learned and then through maturity you develop your own sense of worship. Worship is......

Words: 345 - Pages: 2

Free Essay


...PSYC 210 Discussion Board 1 Humanism was the most beneficial theory to me at this point in my life, as this is an area that I have been working on in myself. I don’t mean to dismiss other theories, but we glean that which is useful at the time. I can see areas such as being too critical of others and their beliefs or lifestyle, when I don’t know what has gone on in their lives to bring them to the point they are in. We are all still human and that will remain. As I seek acceptance from others, I must learn to give it as well. Grace bestows grace. Or in the words of our Lord, “Love thy neighbor as thy self” (Matthew 22:39 ESV) I am starting to understand that we are all individuals with different perspectives and priorities, but at our very core we are all created in His image. That is the part we must strive to see in others. Letting the shell of this world fade from our view, and focus on God in man. “He must increase, but I must decrease” (John 3:30 ESV) In the textbook, when speaking of Carl Rogers it said “He did not think that everything people do is good but, he believed that people themselves are good, as in “Hate the sin but love the sinner” I think we should apply that to our Christian outlook more often. The other theory that I enjoyed was the cognitive theory. I think this theory applies to my Christian worldview because our world is changing and we have to keep changing as well. I think this theory would help us teach children about being christians as......

Words: 343 - Pages: 2

Free Essay

Accounting Theory

...FORMULATION OF ACCOUNTING THEORY: PURPOSE AND APPROACHES A TERM PAPER (2) ON ADVANCED ACCOUNTING THEORY (ACC 821) PRESENTED BY EKERIA, Victor IKYUME, Chiahemba James OGBOLE, Philip Osemudiamen SUBMITTED TO PROFESSOR A.E. OKOYE DEPARTMENT OF ACCOUNTING COLLEGE OF BUSINESS AND MANAGEMEN SUDIES IGBINEDION UNIVERSITY, OKADA MARCH, 2015 Abstract As tasks of accounting became more difficult and focus shifted to users’ needs, a theory became necessary. Existence of a need for information for decision making (decision usefulness) in face of information asymmetry led to development of means, tools and techniques for satisfying decision making needs (formulation of accounting theories) This paper briefly discusses the purpose/importance for accounting theory and various approaches to the formulation of an accounting theory under two headings, namely: (1) traditional approaches, and (2) new approaches. The paper finally highlights the critiques of the accounting theory approaches Table of Content 1.0.0. Introduction……………………………………………………………………………… 1 2.0.0. Meaning of Accounting Theory………………………………………………………… 2 2.1.0. Needs and Purpose for Accounting Theory…………………………………………….. 3 3.0.0. Early Attempts at Accounting Theory……………………………………………………...3 4.0.0. Approaches to the for Formulation of Accounting Theory……………………………….5 4.1.0. 4.1.0. The Traditional Approaches………………………………………………………..5 4.1.1. Non – Theoretical, Practical, or Pragmatic (Informal)......

Words: 4446 - Pages: 18

Free Essay

What Is Theory?

...Running head: WHAT IS THEORY? 1 In a world dominated by practical considerations, there is often a reluctance to dismiss theory. In fact, my experience is that people think that theory gets in the way of practice. However, as Kurt Lewin pointed out (as cited in Morgan, Images of Organization, 1997, p. 376) "there is nothing so practical as a good theory". Morgan (1997) posits that "in any sustained endeavor, we are guided by implicit root images that generate theories of what we are doing" (p. 377). This notion has implications at all levels of management within organizations. Similarly, Champoux (2006) defines theory as "a plausible explanation of a phenomenon" (p. 8). He further asserts that "people often describe theory as abstract, boring, and not associated with the real world" (p. 8). In a similar vain, Senge (1994) suggests that people see theory as having something to do with science; suggesting something cold, analytic, and impersonal. Senge vehemently rejects this notion. He counters, "nothing could be further from the truth. The process whereby scientists generate new theories is full of passion, imagination, and the excitement of seeing something new in the world" (p. 29). Theories have contributed mightily to the collective understanding and knowledge of our society today. These contributions have conspired to heighten our leadership and......

Words: 485 - Pages: 2

Free Essay

Attitude Theories

...Attitude Theories Julia Keleher Strayer University Attitude Theories This paper will discuss attitude theories. Attitude theories are attempts to explain the factors that shape individuals’ beliefs feelings and behaviors. Two examples of attitude theories are ego defensive and classical conditioning. These theories are defined and their components are presented. Examples of each are given and the two theories are compared and contrasted. Definitions and Examples Ego defensive theory was first posited by ____ in XXXX. It has been met with broad support and is part of the psychoanalytic school of thought. This theory posits that attitudes are designed to protect individuals’ self esteem (Keleher, 2011). In many instances, attitudes result in the blaming of someone or something other than the self. One example of this theory is a situation of a child who adopts a strong negative feeling towards sports. This strong negative feeling is the result of having been humiliated in physical education class. In order to protect the child’s self esteem and deny the feelings of humiliation, the child avoids all sports. Engaging in sports is associated in the child’s mind with the potential for being humiliated. Classical conditioning theory was first posited by ____ in XXXX. It has been met with broad support and is part of the behaviorist school of thought. This theory posits that attitudes are a function of purposeful exposure to some external stimuli. An external stimuli is......

Words: 352 - Pages: 2

Premium Essay

The Strain Theory

...The Strain Theory Professor Jaske CRM 3407 15 February 2016 Thus, the Social Learning Theory appears to be the best theory to explain how people of different cultures and origins are able to co-exist in a ship since the theory gives credibility to the ability of people to live cordially as they learn a particular living environment or system. The Strain Theory does an excellent job of explaining white collar crime, along with the contextual anomie/ strain theory. While examining this theory, it was discovered as the most compelling in our constant battle with white collar and corporate crimes. Ever since the beginning of recorded history man/woman has tried to achieve a better life, but not much has changed in today’s standards, since it can be said it is more now than ever. From television, and radio we see the American dream of home ownership, the ability to fit into the society with the latest gadgets. At the same time trying to further their education has its roots in the American dream of more pay, a better job, and the ability to retire all these things is associated with the American dream of more money. While reading this theory I took a closer look into what fuels the human mind in our society. White collar crime in most cases, according to the Strain Theory and my own beliefs is what fuel the human desire to be successful. Greed has always and always will be a driving force in our society, I see no relief in sight unless we as a society find some way......

Words: 911 - Pages: 4

Premium Essay

Personality Theory

...objective way of analyzing data to such a subjective topic. This paper will examine theoretical approaches in studying personality, as well as factors that may influence an individual’s personality development. Theoretical Approaches in Studying Personality A theoretical approach on personality means that researchers use the scientific method to collect and analyze data. They use this process to answer questions that are formed by certain behaviors or that other theories have generated (Feist & Feist, 2009). The question is referred to as a hypothesis. The hypothesis must be tested in a way that can be accurately documented, as well as repeated by others. Once data is collected it must be analyzed and categorized, so that it makes sense in relation to the question, or idea, which is being tested. If the data proves the hypothesis, or idea, is true it does not become a theory. A scientific theory must be able to be reproduced by other researchers using the same method. A theory in psychology, such as personality theory, encompasses more than just verifiable scientific data. Because the...

Words: 1126 - Pages: 5

Free Essay

Testing a Theory

...Testing A Theory PSY/201 May 12, 2013 A couple of years ago, I decided to test a theory on myself by trying to lose fight while gaining more muscle mass. I have heard so many different theories on how to lose fat while gaining muscle mass, but I could not find a good routine that gave me the best results. Before I began my research, I had to think critical about what was causing me to gain fat, and why my workout routine was not as effective on myself as it was for others. I began to search for credible sources on the Internet, so that I can have a better understanding of the relationship between nutrition and the human body. Once my understanding on nutrition was clear, I then began to do research on fat burning and strength conditioning. After my research was complete, I began to test these theories on myself. I created a chart that kept track of each exercise, the amount of repetitions completed, weight loss or gain, and body fat percentage. I used this chart to compare my before and after results within 90 days, and the end results were stunning. I could lower my body fat percentage, and gain more muscle mass, which was exactly what I wanted. The type of informal research that was used to test this theory was experimental research. According to the textbook, Psychology and Your Life, it tells us about experimental research, which states, “Investigator produces a change in one variable to observe the effects of that change on other variables” (Ch. 1, pg. 33)...

Words: 464 - Pages: 2

Free Essay

The Keyhole Theory

...Okoro’s keyhole theory of conflict assumes that “textual conflicts consist in series of locked doors and actions in the text comprises in attempts to unlock these doors”. Further, this theory of textual conflict recognizes the importance of what Aristotle has called the “depth burden of the past” however, it explains this concept in a slightly different way. The keyhole theory explains that the state of the key hole at the point of opening directly affects the state of the keyhole at the exit door. As explained by mr Fidelis himself, what we see as a comedy is just the manner of actions that sees to the opening of all the doors in a text, by contrast, a tragedy thrives because the hero meets difficulties and is ultimately unable to open the exit door both incidents are as a result of opening the first door with either the right or the wrong key. According to A.N. Akwanya, the theory is ‘a comprehensive statement which means that it must apply in the same way to a vast range of objects’. This can be further explained to mean that a theory must overlook he distinct properties of the individual object. This raises the question : can F.U Okoro’s keyhole theory of conflict qualify as a theory? Again, to what extent can it be able to apply in the same way to a vast range of literary text. A literary text here covers both prose narratives and plays. THE KEYHOLE THEORY AND DRAMA Now, without further ado, I will set about examining the extent of applicability of this theory by......

Words: 791 - Pages: 4

Free Essay

Attribution Theory

...Topic: Attribution theory. I chose this topic because it interests me a lot. I have always had many difficulties when giving feedback to my students, writing reports is the most difficult thing for me to do. I never find the appropriate words, I don´t know how to motivate my students and how to tell them to improve without hurting their feelings. In unit 2 we talked about different topics but this is the one that called my attention. I would like first to summarize what this theory is about. It is widely know that people perceive events in different ways, not only at school but in their everyday lives, when something bad happens to us we generally blame someone or something else for the outcomes but when we do something right or something good happens to us we usually say it is because we for example put a lot of effort in the task, because we are lucky and so on. But, to what do we attribute our failures and success? Many theorists state that we attribute them to four factors, effort, ability, luck and task difficulty. The former factors are said to be internal and the latter external. On the other hand we can categorize them according to stability, in that case effort and luck are unstable and ability and task difficulty are stable. But what does internal, external, stable and stable mean? Internal means from within a person, external the opposite. Stable means that we can control it and unstable means the opposite. For example, a student is sad because he failed in......

Words: 820 - Pages: 4

Premium Essay

Testing a Theory

...At least once a week while at work, I have to test a theory concerning the microorganisms I work with. Within the regulations I have to follow, certain criteria must be met for my tests. Because microorganisms are very tricky to predict, deciding how much of a sample I will use and how much seed for food they will need happens quite often. Whenever I run across moments when I have been wrong, further testing is needed to predict why. During this process I have to develop a theory of what will happen when I change little pieces to the testing or samples. Researching seed volumes to use can be a daunting task because each seed capsule is actually a man made seed, causing me to have to take into account human error. Setting up different volumes of seed based upon my prior results is usually the method I have to use in order to find the correct food to mass ratio to meet my testing requirements. While I am trying to establish my theory of what will happen, I am actually using two different types of research methods. First I am using archival research by going back and looking at the previous data. Since I am trying to change the results that I had previously received, I will include experimental research as well. Changing small elements to each sample in order to obtain a different result, while still using my previous data have been the standard for confirming my theories. A psychologist will use both of these methods depending on what kind of research they are doing. If they...

Words: 306 - Pages: 2

Free Essay

Business Theory

...Business Theory The foundation of business theory has been, and always will be, a consistently evolving process for as long as the exchange process is around. Since the early stages of mercantilism, in the seventeenth century, business theories began to shape the daily operations of ventures. However, it should be clearly understood that a theory does not provide a definite solution to success. Instead, theories are merely “a set of assumptions, propositions, or accepted facts that attempts to provide a plausible or rational explanation of cause-and-effect relationship among a group of observed phenomenon.” These ‘acceptable facts’ will in turn shape a business’s goals to obtain success within their respective industry. Writer, and business theorist himself, Riad Ajami explains, “Theories of trade have evolved over time, beginning with the emergence of strong nation-states and the organization for systematic exchanges of goods among these nations”. (Ajami, 48) Throughout this document, six business environments (domestic, global, technological, political-legal, sociocultural, and economic) will be explored, in regards to how these environments affect the ongoing evolution of future business theories. Business theorists have changed the way people do business, not only from a domestic standpoint, but on a global level as well. The domestic and global environments are primarily based on demand conditions. ‘Conditions’ of a business theory can in turn be used in a......

Words: 1438 - Pages: 6

Premium Essay

Accounting Theory

...In his 1989 article Mouck cites Morgan (1988) who observed that: “The idea that accountants represent reality ‘as is ‘ through the means of numbers that are objective and value free, has clouded the much more important insight that accountants are always engaged in interpreting a complex reality, partially, and in a way that is heavily weighted in favor of what the accountant is able to measure and chooses to measure…” (p. 480). Required: Discuss the extent to which the “scientific” world-view of mainstream accounting researchers, is grounded on a belief that “reality” exists independently of thee human subject and the possible implications this has for accounting theory development. Introduction Accounting is a subject that is guided with principles and regulations. Thus, it is often regarded as a rigid, rigorous, and highly analytical discipline with very precise interpretations. However, this is far from the truth. For instance, two organizations that are otherwise homogeneous can apply different valuation methods giving entirely distinct but equally correct answers. One may argue that a choice between accounting schemes is merely an “accounting construct” the sorts of “games” accountants play that are exclusively of relevance to them but have no pertinent in the “real world.” Once again this is entirely false. For example, valuation of inventory using either LIFO (Last-in-last-out) or FIFO (First-in-first-out) has an impact on income tax, especially in the......

Words: 1609 - Pages: 7