Prejudice is the attitude or prejudging, usually in a negative way. This word has commonly been used in certain restricted contexts, particularly in the expression 'racial prejudice’. Usually it is referred to as making a judgment about a person based on their race, before receiving information about the particular issue that the person is being judged for. This word is also used to refer to any hostile attitude towards people based on their race. Consequently the word has come to be widely so interpreted
unintentional perpetuate and spread it.
1. Prejudice is a feeling someone may have, simply means to "pre-judge" someone in your mind, due to a characteristic, religious or national origin element; an adverse opinion formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge. A stereotype is the actual character or oversimplified image of a particular type of person or thing.
2. The relationship between stereotype and prejudice, is that one is having the wrong impression of the person
Nor Anisa Bt. Musa
What is Prejudice?
* Everyone comes face to face with prejudice at some time or another.
* Prejudice is when we recognizethat we feel and act less positively towards others.
* The roots of prejudice can be found in the cognitive and emotional processes.
* Prejudice may be perceived as acceptable and justified
* All inequality and differential treatment is not perceived and responded to in the same way.
The nature and origins of streotyping
Prejudice is defined as a prejudgment, a feeling or an opinion established under no basis. It is when one decides to criticize another without any direct or contact with them or factual substance about them. In today’s world, social stereotypes and prejudices are based on various aspects of human orientation: skin color, racial background, financial background, religious preferences, physical appearance, gender and sexual orientation. There are many reasons behind social prejudices, some include:
Prejudice can be caused because of various reasons. Religion, ethnic race and social status are examples of causes of prejudice. Sometimes prejudice is caused by how we are raised. Many times parents pass on prejudice beliefs to their children. A lot people raised in the southern part of the country are prejudice against blacks. In the early to mid 1960’s, prejudice was alive and well in the south. Blacks had their own bathrooms and were forced to ride in the back of city busses. It’s hard to believe
University of Phoenix Material
Stereotypes and Prejudice Worksheet
Complete the following exercises, remembering that you are in an academic setting and should remain unbiased, considerate, and professional when completing this worksheet.
Select three of the identity categories below and name or describe at least three related stereotypes for each:
• Sexual orientation
Stereotypes and Prejudice
* Stereotypes are beliefs about a certain group of people based on their membership in a particular group or a small sample of these people. Like any time you grouping races or individuals together and make a judgment about them without knowing them is called a stereotype. It can be positive, negative, or neutral.
For example, Jeff thinks that vegetarians are healthy and peace-loving. Those are positive stereotypes because they reflect well on the group. On the other
Stereotype and prejudice are common situation all over the world. As Ruchlis mentioned in the article "Stereotype, Prejudice, and Discrimination," he gave us the definition of discrimination, stereotype, and prejudice. Stereotypes are usually formed from improper information about a group of people. It’s common that we have stereotype about a group of people that we are not familiar because we cannot master all aspects of areas, languages, and nations in the world. People are influenced by medium
There is no denying it; we all are prejudice, some more than others. Just imagine yourself walking through an airport terminal. There is a Middle-Eastern man sitting, waiting to get on the same plane that you happen to be boarding. Due to recent events over the past decade, many Americans have a feeling that this man is a terrorist and is going to blow up the plane. Although this is not the truth, this is how most people think. People obtain these prejudices from family, friends and events. When
Stereotypes and Prejudice Worksheet
Please complete the following exercises, remembering that you are in an academic setting and should remain unbiased, considerate, and professional when completing this worksheet.
Select three of the identity categories below and name or describe at least 3 related stereotypes for each:
* Sexual orientation
Category | Stereotype 1 | Stereotype 2 | Stereotype